EPBOT Readers discussion

General Talk > Halloween Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 140 comments I like to read thematically appropriate books around various holidays.
Last year my husband and I dressed as Poe and the raven for Halloween, so I read a bunch of Poe-related books (fiction and nonfiction). This year my list has been a lot more random. I know Alexa has been posting about her October rereading list in the challenge section, but I thought I'd see what the other Bots like to read this season and share what I've been reading.

I frequently just roam the mystery section looking for seasonally appropriate books based on their covers, and this year I ended up with Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil. I haven't read any others in this series, but now I might go back and try the first one, so I can find out how Aunt Dimity came to be, uh, deceased yet involved?

I also read a couple of middle-grade novels. I ran into The Aviary somewhere or other, and was sold by the words "creepy", "birds", and "mystery". It was kind of fun, and I think I would have liked it a lot as a kid. I also discovered Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow, which was published some 15 years too late for my initial childhood Bunnicula phase. I liked the author's snarky references to the popularity of Harry Potter.

On the nonfiction side, I've been watching some of Caitlin Doughty's videos lately, so I picked up Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory and really enjoyed it. I'm currently reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.

I've got The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter on request with the library, but I'm not sure I'll get it this month. I may still need a couple more spooky books this season!

message 2: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 228 comments A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny is my favorite Halloween read! It's unfortunately out of print but worth looking for.

message 3: by Alexa (new)

Alexa | 37 comments Shel wrote: "A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny is my favorite Halloween read! It's unfortunately out of print but worth looking for."

If you like audiobooks, you can still purchase Zelazny reading A Night in the Lonesome October at http://speakingvolumes.mybigcommerce....

message 4: by Marama (new)

Marama | 1 comments My favourite spooky book is Faerie Tale

message 5: by Mavis (new)

Mavis Mather | 2 comments I'm a big fan of re-reading Beast. I really like his writing style in this one, very reminiscent of old horror where you don't actually see/read anything it is all your head putting it together.