What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Contemp Romance- MC named America- 70s or 80s. Embarrassed by immigrant parents, she's smart and hardworking, becomes engaged to wealthy man. Cover had wedding dress.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Oct 14, 2017 01:01PM) (new)

Kate (midnightbookgirl) | 5 comments I read this book in the early 90s, but I'm pretty sure it was a 1980s setting. The main character was named America, but she went by Erica. It's possible (and actually, very probable) that there were multiple leads, but her story is the one I remember. She was very embarrassed by her immigrant parents and her humble background (and her name). She's quite smart and hard working, and her parents are very proud of her. Her parents hold menial jobs that Erica considers beneath her (maybe her mom is a maid?) At some point she dates and becomes engaged to a very wealthy man. There's another man in the picture, but she's still determined to marry the rich man because he symbolizes all that she thinks she wants. Towards the end she discovers that her rich fiancee has been using her parents in illegal activities, and she leaves him and ends up with the other guy. If I'm remembering it correctly, the cover had a wedding dress on it. I thought it would be an easy book to find because of the heroines name, but I have not been successful in all the years I've tried googling it. Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Kate, are you still looking for this or did you find it?