Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Candy's Read-A-Thon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candy (last edited Oct 19, 2017 04:18PM) (new)

Candy | 72 comments Books To Pick From:

Books:
Pork Pie Hat by Peter Straub Gwendy's Button Box by Stephen King Slade House by David Mitchell Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix Suffer the Children by Craig DiLouie This Monstrous Thing by Mackenzi Lee A Season with the Witch The Magic and Mayhem of Halloween in Salem, Massachusetts by J.W. Ocker The Last One A Novel by Alexandra Oliva The Troop by Nick Cutter Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt Strange Practice (Dr. Greta Helsing, #1) by Vivian Shaw Brother by Ania Ahlborn The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon The Wicked by James Newman Stranded by Bracken MacLeod The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories Volume Two by James D. Jenkins Come To Dust by Bracken MacLeod The Grip of It by Jac Jemc The Broken Hours by Jacqueline Baker Doll Bones by Holly Black Perfume The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind Cold Moon Over Babylon by Michael McDowell Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day by Seanan McGuire

Audiobooks:
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

Graphic Novels:
My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1 Escape from Riverdale by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1 The Crucible by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

message 2: by Candy (last edited Oct 21, 2017 04:50AM) (new)

Candy | 72 comments Hour 0 – Opening Meme

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Maine

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Brie and Apple Fig Bites

4) Tell us a little something about yourself! My fiance and I will be doing some reading together today :)

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? Try to listen to my audiobooks more while I'm doing other things

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) | 63 comments Hello, familiar face. :)

Station Eleven is such a good read! I've actually read Perfume for a Dewey's Readathon last year. It's a good readathon book in my opinion.

Good luck! I'm excited to see your updates throughout the readathon.

message 4: by Candy (last edited Oct 21, 2017 08:05AM) (new)

Candy | 72 comments Ana wrote: "Hello, familiar face. :)

Station Eleven is such a good read! I've actually read Perfume for a Dewey's Readathon last year. It's a good readathon book in my opinion.

Good luck! I'm excited to see..."

Hi

I'm listening to Station Eleven and it's really interesting so far. I've started reading Slade House and loving it. It's weird but so good :)

How's your readathon going?

message 5: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Hours 1-6 Update

Currently Reading:
Slade House by David Mitchell Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Pages Read: 180
Books Finshed: 0
Total Books Finished: 0

message 7: by Ana (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) | 63 comments I'm glad you are enjoying your reads. :) I'd love to read a Mitchell book eventually. I've read a chunk of Cloud Atlas but then I kind of stopped reading. I still want to finish it since I love the idea and the formatting of the book but for some reason it was a hard read for me? I couldn't concentrate very well while reading.

I'm doing okay I guess. I wish there were less distractions from family.

I have most of the books from your 10 Years in 10 Books list on by TBR! Have you watched Under the Dome TV show as well? How does it compare to the book?

message 8: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Hours 7-12 Update

Currently Reading:
Slade House by David Mitchell Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Pages Read: 94
Total Pages Read: 274

message 9: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Mid-Event Survey:

1. What are you reading right now? Slade House and Station Eleven

2. How many books have you read so far? 2...almost done Slade House and about halfway through Station Eleven

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? My Favorite Thing Is Monsters which I think I'm going to start after I finish Slade House

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? A lot more than I was expecting but I'm hoping I can at least finish 2 books by the end of the readathon

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How little reading I'm getting done :(

message 10: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 552 comments Station Eleven is great and I also like a lot of your choices for '10 Books in 10 Years'. Good luck on the 2nd half of the RAT!

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Gotta say your graphic novel choices are on point! ;) lol, Afterlife with Archie is one of my favorites, especially for Halloween! I'm interested to see what you think of My Favorite Things is Monsters, That's on my TBR pile but we have it in our Halloween book display at the library right now and it looks sooooo gooooood! ~Ashley

message 12: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Hours 13-18 Update

Currently Reading:
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris The Last One A Novel by Alexandra Oliva

Pages Read: 183
Total Pages Read: 457
Books Finshed: 1
Total Books Finished: 1

Slade House by David Mitchell

message 13: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Ana wrote: "I'm glad you are enjoying your reads. :) I'd love to read a Mitchell book eventually. I've read a chunk of Cloud Atlas but then I kind of stopped reading. I still want to finish it since I love the..."

I had the same problem when I tried to listen to Cloud Atlas...I had a hard time concentrating on what was going on, so I guess I might need to just read it.

Sorry you were distracted so much, hopefully you still got to read some awesome books :)

I watched the first season of Under the Dome and couldn't get into it since it was so much different than the book. A friend of mine has watched it all, she read the book as well, and she really enjoyed it, but said the rest of the seasons stray quite a bit from the book.

message 14: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Ann A wrote: "Station Eleven is great and I also like a lot of your choices for '10 Books in 10 Years'. Good luck on the 2nd half of the RAT!"

Thanks and Good Luck to you too :)

message 15: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Hours 19-24 Update

Currently Reading:
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel The Last One A Novel by Alexandra Oliva

Pages Read: 277
Total Pages Read: 734
Books Finshed: 1
Total Books Finished: 2

Slade House by David Mitchell My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Ferris

message 16: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Colona Public Library wrote: "Gotta say your graphic novel choices are on point! ;) lol, Afterlife with Archie is one of my favorites, especially for Halloween! I'm interested to see what you think of My Favorite Things is Mons..."

My Favorite Things is Monsters was amazing. I'm going to have to buy myself a copy now to reread sometime soon.

message 17: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Closing Survey!

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Around hour 6...I started to get a headache so I took a short nap.

2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read! I finished Slade House and My Favorite Thing Is Monsters, got halfway through Station Eleven and read a few pages of The Last One: A Novel

3. Which books would you recommend to other Read-a-thoners?
My Favorite Thing Is Monsters and Station Eleven

4. What’s a really rad thing we could do during the next Read-a-thon that would make you smile?

5. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? Would you be interested in volunteering to help organize and prep? I'd definitely like to participate in the readathon again

message 18: by Jinjer (new)

Jinjer (jinjerhundley) FINALLY a readathoner who links books to plot descriptions. Thank you! Added Slade House and Station Eleven to my Want to Read shelf. Forgot to click on The Last One so will do so now.

message 19: by Candy (last edited Apr 23, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

Candy | 72 comments Books To Pick From:

Books:
Universal Harvester by John Darnielle Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson Stranded by Bracken MacLeod Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1) by Justina Ireland Circe by Madeline Miller Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman Evil is a Matter of Perspective An Anthology of Antagonists by Adrian Collins

Audiobooks:
Off Season (Dead River, #1) by Jack Ketchum Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Graphic Novels:

Spider-Gwen, Vol. 1 Greater Power by Jason Latour The Woods, Vol. 1 The Arrow by James Tynion IV Lumberjanes, Vol. 1 Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate | 392 comments I'm keen to read Circe but haven't got hold of a copy yet. I shall be interested to see what you think of it. Have you read The Song of Achilles?
Good luck with the challenge. :)

message 21: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Opening Meme

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? North Carolina

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Unbury Carol

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Doppel Keks (Sandwich cookie with cocoa cream filling)

4) Tell us a little something about yourself! Just moved to NC

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? Drink more caffeine :)

message 22: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Kate wrote: "I'm keen to read Circe but haven't got hold of a copy yet. I shall be interested to see what you think of it. Have you read The Song of Achilles?
Good luck with the challenge. :)"

I have read Song of Achilles and really enjoyed it, so when I saw
Circe on book of the month I had to get it. Hoping I'll get to it today.
Thank you and good luck to you too :)

message 23: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1781 comments Woohoo Lumberjanes! <3 Good luck and happy reading!

message 24: by Candy (new)

Currently Reading:
Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Pages Read: 129

message 25: by Candy (last edited Apr 28, 2018 04:59PM) (new)

Currently Reading:
Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury The Woods, Vol. 1 The Arrow by James Tynion IV

Pages Read: 119
Total Pages Read: 248
Books Finished: 0

message 26: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Mid-Event Survey

1. What are you reading right now? Unbury Carol Fahrenheit 451 and The Woods, Vol. 1: The Arrow

2. How many books have you read so far? I haven't finished any but I'm almost done Fahrenheit 451 and The Woods

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Circe if I can get to it

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? It was a nice day so I've been spending a lot of time outside. Went for a walk and listened to an audio, sat outside and read for a while.

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? Not so much the read-a-thon, but I'm surprised I haven't read more because I'm really liking my book selection, but I keep getting distracted.

message 27: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1781 comments Love Fahrenheit 451!!! I'm excited for the HBO adaptation!

message 28: by Candy (last edited Apr 28, 2018 11:14PM) (new)

Currently Reading:
Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman

Pages Read: 193
Total Pages Read: 441
Books Finished: 2

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury The Woods, Vol. 1 The Arrow by James Tynion IV

message 29: by Candy (new)

Currently Reading:
Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman

Pages Read: 246
Total Pages Read: 687
Books Finished: 3
Total Books Finished: 3

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury The Woods, Vol. 1 The Arrow by James Tynion IV Lumberjanes, Vol. 1 Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson

message 30: by Candy (new)

1. Which hour was most daunting for you? I feel asleep at Hour 22 :(

2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read! I finished Fahrenheit 451, The Woods, Vol. 1: The Arrow, and Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy and I'm almost halfway through Unbury Carol

3. Which books would you recommend to other Read-a-thoners?
Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy

4. What’s a really rad thing we could do during the next Read-a-thon that would make you smile? I enjoyed the scavenger hunt so hopefully that will be back next readathon,

5. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? Would you be interested in volunteering to help organize and prep? I would like to participate in the readathon again.

message 31: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 222 comments > I feel asleep at Hour 22 :(
Oh, I can imagine! Did you take any breaks in the middle though?

message 32: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Lamilla wrote: "> I feel asleep at Hour 22 :(
Oh, I can imagine! Did you take any breaks in the middle though?"

I didn't take any naps, just tried to power through with caffeine and it almost worked :)

message 33: by Candy (last edited Apr 06, 2019 03:26AM) (new)

message 34: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1781 comments Lovely TBR! Hope Crown of Feathers is as good as it sounds and the cover is gorgeous! I will be reading Good Omens in the coming weeks before the show starts!

message 35: by Candy (last edited Apr 06, 2019 05:15AM) (new)

Candy | 72 comments Getting to Know You Survey

1)What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Mars Hill, North Carolina

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Beasts of the Frozen Sun

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
I still need to go to the store to get some

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
Got a boxador recently

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I need to keep up with the caffeine

message 36: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1781 comments Candy wrote: "Getting to Know You Survey

[book:Beasts of the Fro..."

I have an ARC of that book as well! It looks so good! Aww is the new dog a puppy? Should keep you distracted! lol.

message 37: by Candy (last edited Apr 06, 2019 11:07AM) (new)

Currently Reading:
Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner The Long Walk by Richard Bachman

Pages Read: 170
Total Pages Read: 170
Books Finished: 0

message 38: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Elyse wrote: "Candy wrote: "Getting to Know You Survey

[book:Bea..."

No, Gus is 5 years old and he’s been sleeping all morning, so no distraction there :)

message 39: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1781 comments Candy wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Candy wrote: "Getting to Know You Survey

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward..."

haha good!

message 40: by Candy (new)

Currently Reading:
The Long Walk by Richard Bachman World of Trouble (The Last Policeman, #3) by Ben H. Winters

Pages Read: 169
Total Pages Read: 339
Books Finished: 1
Total Books Finished: 1

Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner

message 41: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Mid-Event Survey:

1. What are you reading right now?
The Long Walk and World of Trouble

2. How many books have you read so far?
Completed 1, almost done book number 2, and started number 3

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
If I get to it, Beasts of the Frozen Sun

4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
Went out to dinner and did some shopping, but listened to an audiobook to get some reading in

5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
Nothing

message 42: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 552 comments Looks like you've had a good first half of the RAT! Good luck on the second half (if you're like me, you'll need a LOT more luck on the second half :)

message 43: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 33 comments I loved The Long Walk. Don't you think it would make a great movie?

message 44: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Ann A wrote: "Looks like you've had a good first half of the RAT! Good luck on the second half (if you're like me, you'll need a LOT more luck on the second half :)"

Fell asleep for longer than I meant to so the second half won't be as good, but it's fine. It's more reading than I would normally do, so it works for me :)

message 45: by Candy (new)

Candy | 72 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I loved The Long Walk. Don't you think it would make a great movie?"

Definitely!! Or a TV mini-series...I'll take either.

message 46: by Candy (new)

Currently Reading:
World of Trouble (The Last Policeman, #3) by Ben H. Winters

Pages Read: 90
Total Pages Read: 429
Books Finished: 1

Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner The Long Walk by Richard Bachman

message 47: by Candy (new)

Currently Reading:
World of Trouble (The Last Policeman, #3) by Ben H. Winters The Cold Is in Her Bones by Peternelle van Arsdale

Pages Read: 95
Total Pages Read: 524

message 48: by Candy (new)

What hour was most daunting?
Hour 18

Tell us ALLLLL the books you read!
Finished Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee and The Long Walk and started World of Trouble and The Cold Is in Her Bones

What was your favorite snack?
Red Velvet Chips Ahoy cookies

What was your favorite facet of the day?
Having the time to sit down and catch up on some reading

Wanna volunteer for our next event? As a reader

message 49: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1781 comments Candy wrote: "Closing Survey!

What hour was most daunting?
Hour 18

Tell us ALLLLL the books you read!
Finished Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee and The Long Walk and started..."

Great job, Candy!

message 50: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 1161 comments Candy wrote: "Closing Survey!

Wanna volunteer for our next event? As a reader

Lol!