Play Book Tag discussion

Love and Other Consolation Prizes
This topic is about Love and Other Consolation Prizes
Archive: Other Books > Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jamie Ford -- 2.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jamie Ford
2.5 stars (round up to 3)

Y'all, I just don't have anything to say about this book. It was fine. It was not earth-shattering, it was not overly compelling, I was minimally interested in what would happen next. I didn't particularly feel invested in any of the characters. The writing was typical of a popular fiction novel.

I can't think of a single thing that I loved about it. I also can't think of a single thing I hated. I am just neutral the whole way through.

I thought the cultural context of the brothels in early 1900's Seattle was interesting, but was not written in a manner that really conveyed a lot of information or made me want to learn about it.

I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you just be whelmed? Because if so, that is what I was: whelmed.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8873 comments I think you have just invented a new term. And it's going to be very useful. Hey, sometimes a book strikes you just like that. Neither bad nor good, simply whelming or whelmed.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments It is a quote from 10 Things I Hate About You, the 90's classic! 😉

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I wish I could take credit for it! It is clever.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8873 comments I'm giving you credit for remembering and pulling out the quote- which is no small matter. Sorry the book didn't striking more profoundly. You know, I recall people were all over the map about his first one, Hotel. There were raves, there were total pans, and then there was a very strong neutral camp. I wonder if this one will follow the same route.