The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Book of Swords
This topic is about The Book of Swords
Anthologies > BoS: The Hidden Girl by Ken Liu

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bill | 1596 comments Discuss the story The Hidden Girl by Ken Liu.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling this for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss other stories in this thread.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
I wasn't a huge fan of The Grace of Kings, but I rather enjoyed this story. I'd be curious to read more set in this world. The moving in and out of alternate space was pretty cool.

So far this is a pretty solid collection.

Bill | 1596 comments I really liked this story too and would like to see more in this world. Good short stories are such teases.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Oct 15, 2017 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I generally dislike short stories for that very reason. Just as things are getting going, they stop. So far all 2/3 have left me wanting more without upsetting me that they cut off too soon, which I think is a really hard balance to strike in a short story.

I think the first story was actually the perfect length, and I'm not really interested in reading anymore.

Bill | 1596 comments I would have to agree.

I think the resolution to this story was a bit rushed. I would have liked a showdown with the teacher even if it was of a non-violent fashion. I don’t think you would train someone in the mysterious ways of an assassin then let them walk away with nothing more than saying they are no longer your student.

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah. I can see that, that's why I'd like to read more of this. I thought the second fight was far more rushed than the first one. I had to go back and reread to figure out why exactly it ended, but I'm still not sure. I guess since she dodged the needle? It seems that she gave up pretty quick, especially if she's supposed to be that much better.

I guess though they don't really want to fight each other.

message 7: by Ctgt (last edited Oct 23, 2017 05:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ctgt | 629 comments This was just "okay" for me. I agree with you guys about the ability to write quality short stories, it's a fine line the author has to walk when deciding how much information to include in the story. This one failed on that part for me, IMO it needed more fleshing out or he needed to drop some aspects to tighten it up. Would probably make a great novella.