Crab Shack discussion

Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 137 (137 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Bnz (new)

Bnz | 65 comments Let's see how to make a new topic...

message 2: by Bnz (new)

Bnz | 65 comments Did you have luck importing Shelfari library and/or Ammy wishlist? Importer here keeps timing out on me - perhaps I should slice and dice .csv file into more manageable pieces...

message 3: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 62 comments it worked for me, but then I only have a bit under 1400 books

message 4: by Bnz (new)

Bnz | 65 comments CBRetriever wrote: "it worked for me, but then I only have a bit under 1400 books"

It imported the grand total of three books (out of almost 5000), and listed further 86 (by ISBN) as "unable to add". I also tried importing Amazon wishlist - no luck, either.

One would expect better interoperability among Ammy's own sites...

Ah, well. I will figure it out eventually if I could be bothered :o)

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
I wont even attempt to import my books. I've added some by hand that I remember reading and then the ones I've just read.

Right now I'm just trying to get my mute button to work. That's enough to drive me crazy. Took a break and went clothes shopping. Lots of sales this weekend and couldn't pass it by.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
The Art of Racing in the Rain is on sale for 1.99. I thought it was about a 3.5 and an easy read.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
I just got a credit at Amazon from an Apple antitrust settlement. Has anyone else gotten one?

Zahara Cerise ~ Beat guns into plowshares (zaharacerise) Carol wrote: "I just got a credit at Amazon from an Apple antitrust settlement. Has anyone else gotten one?"

I got one. 38 cents!

Does Amazon sell anything for 38 cents? ;)

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Mine was for 10.64.

message 10: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 62 comments even though i was purchasing from amazon.com during the time in question, because I was living in France, I was not eligible for any refund

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
So to add to my TBR pile, I bought News of the World. Duh.

message 12: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 31 comments It sounds like it would be a good read. Adding to wishlist for now.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "So to add to my TBR pile, I bought News of the World. Duh."

But it's on sale. ;-)

message 14: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 31 comments Bought it. I didn't realize it was on sale. Thanks for pointing that out. I did not see it was a Harper Collins which I know are always expensive. 🦉

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Gotcha!

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
For those of you that haven't read Taylor Caldwell, there is a sale on three of her books today. https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Nove... Good saga books.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
The Summer Before the War is on sale today for 2.99. IAt's the same author that wrote Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption is on sale for 2.99. I thought is was very good.

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is on sale today. I thought it was wonderful.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Happy New Year everyone! if anyone's still here. Is Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House on anyone's TR list yet?

message 21: by Margaret (last edited Jan 05, 2018 06:23AM) (new)

Margaret E | 5 comments I've pre-ordered it. Should appear on my Kindle on Tuesday.

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
I just bought it and downloaded it on my Kindle. The publisher moved up the release date. Check it out.

message 23: by Margaret (last edited Jan 05, 2018 03:57PM) (new)

Margaret E | 5 comments I see that, wow. Thanks, Carol! Looking forward to reading it.

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
F& F is so yummy. 5 stars so far.

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Finished Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House. Most of the juiciest parts were already mention on TV, but there was enough left for me to keep going, getting the real inside poop. The author's writing style left a lot to be desired for me. He seems to love long sentences and I mean so long that one forgot which subject went with which predicate.

If or when you finish it, let me know what you think, Margaret. And anyone else that's read it.

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
I'm not sure if anyone checks in here anymore, but just in case I just finished Beneath a Scarlet Sky. It was excellent and I highly recommend it. It's a true story about spying and resistance during WWII in Italy.

message 27: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 31 comments Hi Carol I have just started reading it and have found it to be good so far.

message 28: by Bnz (new)

Bnz | 65 comments I finally started reading Charles Carillo's Shepherd Avenue, and I want to thank all those who kept recommending it. I will have to pace myself with his other books, to make them last a bit longer.

Imagine: Carillo has no Wikipedia entry!

message 29: by Carol (last edited Feb 09, 2018 06:54AM) (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
"I finally started reading Charles Carillo's Shepherd Avenue"

About time!

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
I forgot, I want to recommend Beneath a Scarlet Sky. I read it last week and think it's good enough to rec. It's based on a true WWII story of Italian resistance.

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Wasn't someone here waiting for https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002UM5BX... to go on sale. Well, now is your chance.

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Dragi, Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow is on sale today.

message 33: by Bnz (new)

Bnz | 65 comments Carol wrote: "Dragi, Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow is on sale today."

Thank you, Carol! Grabbed it.

Since eReaderIQ is no longer able to import Amazon wishlists I am missing many interesting sales...

message 34: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 62 comments I use the 1-Click Watcher tool from ereaderiq to add a book immediately after I've added it to my Wish list on Amazon. It's under tools on the website along with some Chrome extensions

message 35: by Bnz (new)

Bnz | 65 comments CBRetriever wrote: "I use the 1-Click Watcher tool from ereaderiq to add a book immediately after I've added it to my Wish list on Amazon. It's under tools on the website along with some Chrome extensions"

Ah! Thanks!

message 36: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Guys, pick up Beneath a Scarlet Sky. It's 2.99 and well worth it.

message 37: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
No one seems to be here any more, but just in case The Alice Network. I thought it was very good.

message 38: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 31 comments Carol I put it on my list. Will see if my library has it. Thanks

message 39: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 62 comments I look, but never see posts. I just finished reading all of Peter Bowen' Gabriel Du Pre mysteries. At first the dialogue and grammar were hard to read and didn't make much sense, but I eventually got into the swing of them and enjoyed them very much

message 40: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
I see the price has gone up. It was 3.99 when I got it. Guess word has gotten around.

message 41: by Bnz (new)

Bnz | 65 comments Ah, so this place lives, after all!

hi, everyone!

message 42: by Bnz (new)

Bnz | 65 comments CBRetriever wrote: "I look, but never see posts. I just finished reading all of Peter Bowen' Gabriel Du Pre mysteries. At first the dialogue and grammar were hard to read and didn't make much sense, bu..."

Looks interesting. Yes, the vernacular is a bit difficult to get into, especially for a foreigner, but I'll try. Thanks!

message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Well hello Dragi. I've posted occasionally, but didn't get a response.

I mentioned Beneath a Scarlet Sky.nI I think you might like it.

message 44: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Night Owl, you don't post any books that you've read. Need an idea of what you like. No one will tell if there are some off-color ones or the silly regency one that I read to turn my brain to mush for a few hours.

message 45: by Night Owl (new)

Night Owl | 31 comments Hi Carol. I read almost anything as long it holds my interest including silly regency but it matters what the price is. It depends on what is going on in my life what genre I am reading. Post whatever you find interesting. I usually check different forums but do not always have time to post.

message 46: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Okay, sounds like me. One of my favorite authors is Catherine Ryan Hyde. Her Kindle books usually aren't expensive. They have gone up a dollar recently, but you can often find them on sale. Right now, if you have Amazon Prime, Walk Me Home is free.

I have been using our library lately for best sellers or high priced books. I mostly get the audiobooks from them, if they have it. Our library used to have a service (OverDrive) that downloaded to the Kindle, but they stopped it and use another service that down loads to the Fire, a smart phone, or computer. I really prefer reading on the Kindle. Check and see if your library has OverDrive or a digital lending service.

I really think we should be allowed to share our digital book purchases. I think somewhere between three and five shares would be fair.

message 47: by Margaret (new)

Margaret E | 5 comments Well, I'm reading the Mueller Report.

Hi, everyone!

message 48: by Night Owl (last edited Jun 02, 2019 09:10PM) (new)

Night Owl | 31 comments Hi Carol. My library uses Overdrive. I have been using it for about 5 years and that is where I get the best sellers. It just takes a long time to get them. It never used to be this long when I joined. Still waiting to read Michele Obama's book since last summer. I was something like 987 at the beginning.

Edit: I still have about 4 more weeks to wait. Must be some really slow readers in that line. They have 80 copies to lend and there are 1214 people on the waiting list behind me. Very popular book. I have never waited this long before.

message 49: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
Oh, you're so lucky. I listened to it. Michele Obama read it. She read rather slowly so I sped it up. We usually don't have that many people waiting and the wait usually turns out to be shorter than expected.

message 50: by Carol (new)

Carol | 147 comments Mod
I've been trying to decide whether or not to read the Mueller Report. I'm miserable enough about our government as it is.

« previous 1 3