Amazon exiles discussion

Music chat > Best & worst gigs

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2936 comments I've tried a few times to decide what was the best gig I've ever been to. I don't get to much live music these days but did it a lot when I was younger. I think I could narrow it down to five:

John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers - Fabrik Hamburg 1993
The Pogues - Whitelands College Putney 1985
Tom Waits - Hammersmith Odeon 1987
Weather Update (Joe Zawinul) - Hammersmith Odeon 1986
Steve Gibbons Band - Birmingham Odeon 1980

While I've seen quite a few pretty rancid bands, I'd give the prize for worst gig to...

Deep Purple - Hammersmith Odeon 1991

Anyone else got a list?

message 2: by Lez (last edited Oct 15, 2017 04:02AM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments 1, King Crimson - Usher Hall , Edinburgh Sept. 2015
Amazing beyond description!
2. ‘Grit’ - tribute to the great Martyn Bennett - Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, Jan.2014.
A unique and wonderful experience.
3. Suede - Glasgow RCH, Feb. 2016.
Superb even with the weird film.
4. Rufus Wainwright - Sheffield Octagon 2001.
Probably not his best show but I’d just discovered him and this was his first tour. Really impressive live even then. Lovely.
5. Buddy Holly and lots of other famous names of the time. - Liverpool Philharmonic Hall 1958.
Pure nostalgia this one.

message 3: by Gordon (last edited Oct 14, 2017 10:52AM) (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2936 comments Lez wrote: "5. Buddy Holly and lots of other famous names of the time. - Liverpool Empire 1958."

Wow! Having seen Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent or Eddie Cochran live is just too cool for words.

EDIT: And 1958 produced some of the greatest jazz recordings - Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else, Jimmy Smith's The Sermon, Art Blakey's Moanin' and the Miles Davis "Stella by Starlight" sessions that included the version of Love for Sale that I posted a video of on the forum (and Charles Mingus's The Clown had been released the previous year). I know life must have been fairly bleak, and there wasn't much in the way of luxuries for working-class people in Britain in the fifties, but there was some great music, movies, etc. coming out of America.

message 4: by Lez (last edited Oct 14, 2017 11:16AM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Gordon wrote: "Lez wrote: "5. Buddy Holly and lots of other famous names of the time. - Liverpool Empire 1958."

Wow! Having seen Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent or Eddie Cochran live is just too cool for words."

All three, Gordon, plus the Everlys, Gene Pitney and one of the best acts ever, Bo Diddley. Many more that escape me for the moment.
Edit: I forgot also Ella Fitzgerald and the Oscar Peterson Trio, Liverpool 1961. She sang a bit too much of the scat stuff for my liking, I was hoping for more ballads.

message 5: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6446 comments doll by doll - paisley, bungalow - 'burnt kiddies' tour 1979 - complete sonic and psychic assault!...........nick cave and the bad seeds - Glasgow, academy - 'abattoir blues/lyre of orpheus' tour 2004 (or a coupla weeks back, never saw him not give everything)...............when the hammer come down, you knowed it!........................the cramps - Glasgow, barras, - 'a date with elvis' tour, 1986 - the real king and queen of rock 'n' roll!................the clash/suicide/(the Coventry)specials - Glasgow, Apollo, july 1978 - the supports whipped the crowd into an ugly mass which poured out all the way down renfield street, and the clash got liftit!....................ramones/the rezillos - Glasgow, Apollo, 19 dec 1977 - the rezillos were always great fun, and ramones hit with a sonic brick which forced you backwards and struggling to remember how to breathe! tko!

message 6: by Uglybug (last edited Oct 14, 2017 11:41AM) (new)

Uglybug | 146 comments Not in the league of all of the above, I'm so jealous, grrr.
But,
I did get to hear,live,
KC and the Sunshine band playing in the 'Drill hall' Northampton which was about a dozen houses away from my house as a kid, it was so loud I taped it onto a cassette. It was exciting back then, lol.

message 7: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6446 comments well, ol' k.c. would have wiped the floor with the following wastes of ticket money,...........................van Morrison - Edinburgh, ingleston show ground -1979 - uninterested to the point of ignorance, i'm glad talking heads were on directly before him, or I might not have been able to come out of the coma this dross induced!............hawkwind - 1980ish Glasgow, Apollo - devoid of anything worth remembering, even the date!........................! gary numan - Glasgow Apollo, all flash and no content!..............generation x - ayr, pavilion - serious self-love issues!.........................the police, Glasgow, Apollo, - t.b.f. i'd seen and enjoyed them before fame set in (with the mighty cramps on support!), but this was singalongasting mince!

message 8: by Uglybug (new)

Uglybug | 146 comments Tech wrote: "well, ol' k.c. would have wiped the floor with the following wastes of ticket money,...........................van Morrison - Edinburgh, ingleston show ground -1979 - uninterested to the point of i..."

Ah Talking heads, I wish I could have seen them live, I can only guess the vibe must have been sizzling.... thankfully we have the DVD ' stop making sense' (I think, I must did that out again, oh my poor neighbours...lol.)

message 9: by nocheese (new)

nocheese | 6145 comments I really miss 'Do you think this post adds to the discussion'

message 10: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments nocheese wrote: "I really miss 'Do you think this post adds to the discussion'"

I do too, I often want to show my agreement/appreciation! I suppose we can only do emojis.

message 11: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6446 comments or we could just go "dampt fine post", johnny b.! :)

message 12: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments Best:

Thin Lizzy, Leeds University same tour that Live and Dangerous was taken from.
Bonzo Dog Band - Leeds University, penultimate gig before they broke up the first time. Absolutely brilliant.
Stackridge - Leeds University, several times, just great music.
Al Stewart - Leeds Town Hall in the mid '70s
Neil Young and Crazy Horse, NEC 2001
The Who, Quadrophenia Live, NEC
Richard Thompson Electric Band, Colston Hall 2016, finally got hear him play Hard On Me live.

Lots of others, but I'll stop there.

Worst:

Lau - Huntingdon Hall, Worcester, we've never been so bored in our entire lives, the relief when it was all over was unbelievable

Never the Bride, Cheltenham didn't realise it was a reduced version of the band just the two female leads and a saxophonist the most awful instrument ever invented. Left at the interval before we shoved his saxophone where the sun don't shine.

message 13: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6446 comments Johnny wrote: "And then I go and spoil it all by saying that I'm really looking forward to Van the Man's concert at Embra Playhoose at the beginning of November."

better take a brolly then!

message 14: by Helen The Melon (new)

Helen The Melon | 2660 comments Best - unfortunately my prime gig going years are rather blurry. I was too busy having one hell of a good time to stop and take in too many details (sad but true). Therefore, they were all pretty damn good!

Worst - this I do remember. 'Twas PJ Harvey sometime around '93. Fortunately she was just one of the support acts but she was absolutely horrendous, just screeched, screamed and wailed. Urgh.

message 15: by Sera69 (new)

Sera69 | 1564 comments Not sure I've had a bad gig. Iron Maiden in 1990 but I had a headache and skipped half their set drinking water in a dark corner. Best was either Tigertailz or Urusei Yatsura, (both insanely good fun) or Tori Amos, Sisters of Mercy and Slayer on their Reign in Blood tour. For props, I've seen the big 4 thrash bands and Nirvana before Nevermind. Other than Johnny Cash and Siouxsie and the Banshees I've not missed anyone I've wanted to see.

message 16: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Can’t really remember any bad gigs. There’ve been a couple I’ve walked out of because of the venue and sound levels but through no fault of the acts.
nc and I did see a wonderfully bad support act with the lovely Rufus. His name was Joel Gibb, a Canadian who usually has a band called Hidden Cameras but was solo this time. He was so awful he was hilarious - people were holding on to each other in hysterics. Unforgettable.

message 17: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6446 comments i saw the banshees (john mcgeoch era), tiffany's glasgow, and they were petty good, but i'd have preferred to have seen original line-up.

my regrets at not seeing,
scott walker (tho' i'm just being ridiculous!)
throbbing gristle (although they never played scotland in their initial phase)
the birthday party
the gun club
the only ones
the damned (something always got in the road of seeing them at the time - tbh, wouldn't go out the back door to see them now!)

message 18: by nocheese (new)

nocheese | 6145 comments Lez wrote: "Can’t really remember any bad gigs. There’ve been a couple I’ve walked out of because of the venue and sound levels but through no fault of the acts.
nc and I did see a wonderfully bad support act ..."

And yet I had succeeded in forgetting him. Thanks a bunch, Lez!

message 19: by Val (new)

Val H. | 13935 comments I'd be hard put to name best ever. My two favourite Aussie artists are Sydney-sider Perry Keyes and Melbourne's own Mick Thomas (Weddings Parties Anything; The Sure Thing; The Roving Commission, etc). I see them whenever I can and know I will be knocked out (next seeing Mick on Dec 22nd).

I saw Crowded House in a small club (2008) and that was a fab evening - Neil Finn is a great front man.

The first time I saw John Grant (2011?) - about 30 people in the audience and he did Queen Of Denmark in an acoustic set. So good, I immediately bought tickets to see him the following night

The Flaming Lips - I read that they were high on the list of bands you must see before you die and the list did not lie. Organised chaos and great fun.

Leonard Cohen - first time I saw him in 2009 - what else can I say? The man will always be a legend.

Bruce Springsteen 2013. Love him or hate him, you will never see a "show" like Bruce puts on - and what a band. Hell, I'd pay to see Nils Lofgren alone, or Tom Morello.

Arcade Fire were fantastic in 2014. Elbow are always wonderful.

Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably have a completely different list. I've been lucky enough to see most of my favourites, many more than once. I saw Johnny Cash, The Kinks, Jimmy Buffett, Bette Midler, The Byrds, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Kris Kristofferson, Glen Campbell and all were magic to me.

One of the worst was Bill Callahan who took ennui to a new level. And talking of bad support acts, When the young woman supporting Bobby Womack said her name was Napalm, I thought I'd misheard. She was well-named. A reviewer described the experience as "enduring one of the oddest, more excruciating solo support acts perhaps ever".

I regret never seeing John Prine.

message 20: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2001 comments The Godfathers 1991 Reading Rock Festival were brilliant, plus they played all of my favourite songs so I was very happy. At the same festival I saw: Blur, Sisters Of Mercy (who were brilliant), Nirvana, Carter USM, amongst others. Can't really remember Nirvana but can remember Sisters Of Mercy as the crowd kept pushing forward and I ended up right at the front, Andrew Eldritch is really short!

message 21: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments nocheese wrote: "Lez wrote: "Can’t really remember any bad gigs. There’ve been a couple I’ve walked out of because of the venue and sound levels but through no fault of the acts.
nc and I did see a wonderfully bad ..."

Just to prove I wasn’t exaggerating, here is the aforementioned Joel Gibb at his best.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XxUElmv...

message 22: by nocheese (new)

nocheese | 6145 comments Aaarrrrgh!. I've just awarded hin his first Youtube thumbs down. Feel free to join me.