Temecula Valley Book Club discussion

30 Books to Deem You as “Well Read”

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cari, Club Moderator (new)

Cari (mambaitaliana) | 327 comments Mod
Well, I’ve only read 8 of these. I guess I have a lot of work ahead of me to be considered well read 😳 Forget how many I read each year, perhaps it should be more of what I read.

Where do you fit on this list? Do you agree with these or are any missing? I personally think we could have a more African American authors and list to include some of my favorites Toni Morrison, Ralph Ellison, Zora Neale Hurston and James Baldwin.

https://www.quora.com/What-books-shou...

message 2: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tanya712) | 238 comments Wow, that's a lot of reading! Whole series are included in that list. Just a side note. I use the word alot , a lot. It just took me many tries for Goodreads to even allow that. Thinking I'm crazy I go check it out with google. Apparently ALOT was taught in American schools from 1960's - 1980's (most all of my primary education), now it's incorrect. They just changed it and no one ever sent the 40-60 year olds the memo. Just wrong 😂

message 3: by Cari, Club Moderator (new)

My favorite go to is "Also Too." Really, also too? They mean the same thing! I say it "a lot," so I feel ya! You crack me up!

message 4: by Keith, Club Moderator (new)

Keith | 595 comments Mod
Ooo...I'm doing pretty well on this list: 21. And a few of the ones I haven't are on my TBR. I agree on the African American, as well as asking for more female representation (only 7 out of 30). Also too I didn't see alot from from ownvoices/diverse voices representation. Still, since I've read a number of them, I'll call this a good list. ;)

message 5: by Keith, Club Moderator (new)

Keith | 595 comments Mod
I'm disappointed that nobody seemed to notice how I was able to slide both also too and alot into my last response. :)

As a side note, one of my habits is that I verbally mangle the word "probably". I don't know if it stems from not being able to say it when I was younger, or just trying to save time, but often I'll just say "prolly", and on some occasions I'll even shorten it to "pry", as in "I'll pry read that book after the new year." Really, I do that. Heh-heh.

message 6: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (tanya712) | 238 comments I can’t believe we missed either! I must have been tired when I read that post

message 7: by Cari, Club Moderator (new)

I am just seeing this. Everyone can be a feminist. Good for you Keith for picking that up!

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth | 7 comments Just seeing this feed as well...while there are some significant books on this list - 50 Shades of Gray?!?! Really? Well read?!?! Probably a lot of junk also too!