Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Sexy lovely girl TAMAKI MIYAJI 9th Seifukuerorita
Book Cover Help > Please add alternative cover

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Fortunato | 19 comments Please add an alternative cover

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.c...

Thanks

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13664 comments Please always link to the full page instead of the cover. We need to be able to check the edition details.

Fortunato | 19 comments My librarian status has come through so I'll pick this up.

message 5: by Empress (last edited Oct 28, 2017 04:23PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Few pointers when doing edits.

Please always leave a librarian note when adding ACE. Adding a note in the description is not compulsory and is not a librarian note. They are left for the benefit of the Goodreads readers that are not librarians.
The Librarian note is placed just above the title field on the edit page of an edition.

ACE (alternate cover edition) cannot have the same publishing date as the original edition. It is a new edition after all. This means if you are adding the edition in Oct 2017 that is the publishing date of that ACE, unless you actually know what is the real publishing date. However the date cannot be identical with that of the original edition.

Please always leave a change comment when changing covers to better quality, otherwise it appears as if you are doing changes against policy.

Books should have titles in the language of the book, so Japanese title are needed for the editions you are adding (transliteration is allowed in square brakes [] ) . If you are able to fix those please do so. Imprint and format information should no be included in the titles (refer to "title" and "series" parts of the manual)

I've added titles to two editions - please edit them so they contain only the actual title. Unfortunately I do not speak Japanese and I suspect the titles contain descriptions as well. Those are not allowed in the title field.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Fortunato | 19 comments Thanks for the pointers.

I notice the Librarian Note facility is not present when creating a new edition, so it's necessary to go back and edit the ACE entries once created.

I can see now that the Kindle store listing shows the original publishing date along with the latest cover art, so the only option is to set the publication date to the ACE creation date.

I see you've taken the Kanji titles from the Amazon JP store. I was using the Amazon UK store as a source of the ACE as that's my local store and the only one I can make purchases/loans from (I was trying to get the GR cover art to match my Kindle collection.)

If I use the Kanji titles then is there a place on the GR listing I can put the localised title (the title is used for those Kindle stores using roman characters, eg Germany, Mexico, India etc.) and/or translations of the Kanji titles, once they have pared down to the series/title and we lose the descriptions.

Is it permissible to use google translate to aid in the analysis of these titles - it is possible to see that series information (with distinctive logo) and a title exists on the bottom of the cover and descriptions on the other sides which can be ignored.

Would it be permitted to put a google provided transliteration of the title in brackets in the title field?

message 7: by Empress (last edited Oct 29, 2017 08:16AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Fortunato wrote: "I notice the Librarian Note facility is not present when creating a new edition, so it's necessary to go back and edit the ACE entries once created."

Yes, that is how everyone creates the notes. We have requested for the option to be visible when adding editions, but so far Goodreads has not done that.

Fortunato wrote: "I can see now that the Kindle store listing shows the original publishing date along with the latest cover art, so the only option is to set the publication date to the ACE creation date."

No, because Amazon is not Goodreads. Authors update the same edition page on Amazon with the new cover but do not update the other publishing details. Amazon does not care as they are a seller and they usually sell one cover version per kindle. Goodreads is a cataloguing website so we retain all editions information. If you do not know what the date of the ACE is (for ebooks and kindle editions) we use the date of creating the edition (month and year only). So the ACEs you are adding should be published 2017/OCT. Chanses are if the original was published a year or two ago the ACE year will match. Also with authors requesting editions to be added as the covers are updated the accuracy is much higher than you would guess.

Physical book example: This paperback (ace) was published 2010, the "original " was published 2001. So do you think the ACE should have 2001 as pub. year, just because the publisher has not update his details?

(I have seen you have corrected the ACEs date of publishing. I'm just trying to explain the logic, rather than say do it because that is the requirement)

Fortunato wrote: "I see you've taken the Kanji titles from the Amazon JP store. I was using the Amazon UK store as a source of the ACE as that's my local store and the only one I can make purchases/loans from (I was trying to get the GR cover art to match my Kindle collection.) "

Again you are quoting Amazon as source. Do not assume Amazon is giving you the correct information. Priority for data sources is as follow:
1. Book in Hand; 2. Publisher website; 3. Any other allowed source (inlc Amazon)
Since you have the image of the cover and you can see the title is not written in English, there is no reason for you not to edit the title (well, unless you don't know the language). Title should match as close as possible to the cover, but should also follow the rules for what is allowed in that field. So if the cover has a blurb and a description that should not be added in the field.

Here is an example. MM Shifter Romance is description and should not be in the title field

What is your local Amazon store has nothing to do with the Goodreads database. Amazon is an allowed source for covers and book data, so it does not matter what store you are using. I use JP because I know the titles will not be in English. Amazon doesn't display Cyrillic language and enters transliterated titles. Does not mean I will leave that title on the book record.

Fortunato wrote: "(I was trying to get the GR cover art to match my Kindle collection.) "

That is all good but being a librarian also mean having responsibility toward the database. I'm simply advising you of correct procedures when creating an ACE. I'm not trying to tell you off. We all have made mistakes and it takes time to learn.

If the edition on your kindle has the title in English this mean the edition on Goodreads does not match your edition and you need to add a second ACE edition (one book can have multiple ones).

Fortunato wrote: "If I use the Kanji titles then is there a place on the GR listing I can put the localised title (the title is used for those Kindle stores using roman characters, eg Germany, Mexico, India etc.) and/or translations of the Kanji titles, once they have pared down to the series/title and we lose the descriptions."

If you are able to, please correct all editions (original and ACE) with Japanese title. Transliteration can be placed in square brackets. Example: 死の家の記錄 [Shi no ie no kiroku]
No need to add English title in title field. Just delete it. We can always check what was the title in the librarian log so it is not lost forever. The fact that that the titles are listed translated on Amazon is again - nothing to do with Goodreads. We aim to have a more accurate information.

Fortunato wrote: "Is it permissible to use google translate to aid in the analysis of these titles......
Would it be permitted to put a google provided transliteration of the title in brackets in the title field?

Yes, google translate is a useful tool. I use it to analyze descriptions and remove reviews and praises ans well as analyzing imprint information.

I would say add the google transliteration yes. If any other librarian stumbles on the editions and is sure they are wrong they can correct later. Adding transliteration is not mandatory.

let me know if you have further questions :)

P.S. Wording such as "Japanese edition", "Illustrated edition", "paperback" should not be in the title field.
There is a language field to point to the edition being Japanese. The format field is for, well - format
Illustrated edition, Abridged Edition, revised edition and etc can be added in "Edition field"

Fortunato | 19 comments Fortunato wrote: "I can see now that the Kindle store listing shows the original publishing date along with the latest cover art, so the only option is to set the publication date to the ACE creation date."

Ellie wrote: "No, because Amazon is not Goodreads. Authors update the same edition page on Amazon with the new cover but do not update the other publishing details. So we use common sense. If you do not know what the date of the ACE is (for ebooks and kindle editions) we use the date of creating the edition (month and year only). So the ACEs you are adding should be published 2017/OCT. "

By "ACE creation date" I meant the creation of the ACE listing in GR, Oct 2017, so I believe we are in agreement. Apologies for not being clear. Or have I misunderstood what you are trying to tell me?

Ellie wrote: Again you are quoting Amazon as source. Do not assume Amazon is giving you the correct information. Priority for data sources is as follow:
1. Book in Hand; 2. Publisher website; 3. Any other allowed source.

This does seem to be a pitfall for the unwary with works only available as Kindle editions. The book in hand is going to be a digital copy viewed using a Kindle app (or Kindle device) which will be consistent with the Kindle store listing, and there may well not be a hard copy or a publisher website with helpful information.

Ellie wrote: The mistakes you are doing are mistakes most librarians do. I'm advising you of correct procedures. Simple as that.

Since I am a rookie librarian, my 'common sense' isn't necessarily well enough developed in these matters, so I appreciate your help and hope I am not trying your patience too much.

message 9: by Empress (last edited Oct 29, 2017 10:01AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Fortunato wrote: "This does seem to be a pitfall for the unwary with works only available as Kindle editions."

I would consider a digital copy viewed with a device/ app as book in hand, though with ebooks the information is often online.
Edition in a different format should not be used as a source for ebook/kindle edition.

Fortunato wrote: "Since I am a rookie librarian, my 'common sense' isn't necessarily well enough developed in these matters, so I appreciate your help and hope I am not trying your patience too much. ."

I had edited out the common sense part of my response, as I realized a lot of things in the manual are actually not common sense. Unfortunately sometimes it is a case "we do it, because that's what is required", and it does not matter if we agree. Also, to me, many things are not common sense ....

BTW if you have any specific questions just feel free to start a new topic :)

Fortunato | 19 comments Thanks Ellie. I'm hoping I'll get better with experience :)

message 11: by Empress (last edited Oct 29, 2017 10:34AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) I have no doubt in you! You have actually engaged in a dialogue and are showing that you are learning. Also you are aware of ACE editions, which took me a while to get.

But you will find out eventually - many do not care and change editions as they please (Oh it's a hardback but they have read a kindle? Why switch editions - lets just change the format to Kindle, regardless of other people already shelving the edition). Anyway I hope you have a good day/evening ;)

Fortunato | 19 comments Thanks for your encouragement. Take care ;)

message 13: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13664 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "I would consider a digital copy viewed with a device/ app as book in hand, though with ebooks the information is often online."

Just a small additional remark: for ebooks, the page counts must come from the publisher (which in the case of Kindle editions means Amazon).

Since page counts vary from device to device, we cannot add page counts supplied by users.

Fortunato | 19 comments Lethe wrote: Just a small additional remark: for ebooks, the page counts must come from the publisher (which in the case of Kindle editions means Amazon).

So for Kindle editions the page count on the store listing is the one to use?

message 15: by Empress (last edited Oct 29, 2017 01:35PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Correct. For ebooks - the publisher. Only exceptions is if page count is not provided. Than it is the following rule that applies:

If the publisher does not provide a page number, you may estimate the page count using a tool such as Calibre's Count Pages plugin. Be sure to leave a librarian note that this is an estimate and that the page number should be changed if the publisher releases a specific page count.
Source

Which means estimates of page counts from devices are not accepted, so the book-in-hand priority does not count.