Play Book Tag discussion

20th Century Ghosts
This topic is about 20th Century Ghosts
Archive: Other Books > 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2087 comments This is a nice collection of short stories; some are horror-veined, some spooky ghost tales, a few I just didn't get, and some are just sweet little surprises. The title story is an interesting ghost story set in an old movie theater with a female specter that only appears to selected people. "The Cape", while at first I thought was just plain weird, had a 'smack you in the head' ending that was so unexpected that I think I actually gasped. "Better Than Home" is one of the sweet ones: a dad and his son who bond over baseball. "The Black Phone" is suitably creepy with a ringing phone not attached to any wires. There is a good balance between the stories and I enjoyed this one.

LibraryCin | 8126 comments Not always a fan of short stories, but I think horror tends to appeal more. I also know I like Joe Hill. I probably should add this to the tbr. :-)

message 3: by Charlie (new) - added it

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 393 comments Have you read The Fireman by Hill? I am halfway thru and liking it but not enough to have finished it off in between PBT books. I almost thought about finishing it for this month's Society tag, but didn't. The Fireman is my first Hill book. I think I will read more afterwards.

Ellen | 2087 comments No, I haven’t read that one, Charlie. This was my first book by Hill and I liked it enough to read more. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 5: by LibraryCin (last edited Oct 15, 2017 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LibraryCin | 8126 comments I haven't read The Fireman yet, either, but it's on my tbr. There are always holds at the library, and I like to have a better idea when I'll get it, if I have to put a hold (that is, I don't like to put something on hold if I'm further down the list than around #2. :-) ).

message 6: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I read The Fireman and really liked it. Haven’t read any other Joe Hill books though.