Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Team 187 Score Card

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Oct 15, 2017 06:13AM) (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Everybody who is part of the team please reserve one post to edit and update what you've read towards the challenge. Please do not add any other replies. I'll delete them or posts from anybody not in the group. We'll use the other thread for banter and keep this clean as a score card only. Sorry for the voice of authority but it will help when we are further into this competition. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Scoring Format Example.

1. Oathbringer
Pages 1248
Points 12.5
Buddy read bonus 6.3
Challenge bonus 3.3
Total points 22.1
Challenge to Date total 22.1
2. The Secret Life of Bees
Pages 336
Points 3.4
Total points 3.4
Challenge to Date 25.5

So example one has two bonus points and example two one. Both keep the total to date so we don't have to do a massive add up at the end.

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jan 05, 2018 06:42AM) (new)

Scott's challenge contribution score card:

1. The Drawing of the Three
Pages 463
Points 4.6
Challenge bonus 1.2 (series challenge)
Total points 5.7
Challenge to Date total 5.8

2. Gardens of the Moon
Pages 752
Points 7.5
BR bonus 3.8
Total points 11.3
Challenge to Date total 17.1

2. Blackout
Pages 672
Points 6.7
BR bonus 1.7
Total points 9.4
Challenge to Date total 26.5

Saar The Book owl | 1899 comments Saar's challenge contribution score card:

message 4: by Lundos (last edited Jan 20, 2018 07:14AM) (new)

message 5: by C.P. (last edited Feb 09, 2018 05:09AM) (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments CP's challenge contribution score card:

Just going to list the books I've completed. May try to link all of my challenges later.
Completed
The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1) by Holly Black The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2) by Holly Black Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3) by Holly Black The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4) by Holly Black The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5) by Holly Black A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) by Steven Erikson The Magnolia Story by Chip Gaines Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie Doll Bones by Holly Black Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1) by Anthony Ryan Rhett & Link's Book of Mythicality A Field Guide to Curiosity, Creativity, and Tomfoolery by Rhett McLaughlin Derby Horse by Mara Dabrishus A Wind in the Door (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #2) by Madeleine L'Engle Inda (Inda, #1) by Sherwood Smith The Traitor's Game (The Traitor's Game #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1) by Brandon Sanderson

Point Contribution Total: 80.2

message 6: by Sha (last edited Jan 06, 2018 11:06AM) (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Shas' challenge contribution score card:

Updated in the google sheet;
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Note: I'm also leaving links to all my challenges here for easy access and reference.
Bingo Challenge
Book Cover Challenge
Incomplete Series Challenge
A-Z Challenge

message 7: by Bill (last edited Jan 26, 2018 09:42PM) (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Bill’s challenge contribution score card: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Books read - 24
Challenge to date total - 109.3

message 8: by Charlie (last edited Oct 31, 2018 12:31PM) (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4436 comments Charlie's challenge contribution score card:

To keep things simple, since I'm using the spreadsheet I'm going to to just list the books I read here and keep a running point total.

Link to spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

link to challenges: A-Z: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Bookcover: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Overflowing Bookshelf: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1) by Jodi Meadows Fallen Too Far (Rosemary Beach, #1; Too Far, #1) by Abbi Glines Never Too Far (Rosemary Beach, #2; Too Far, #2) by Abbi Glines Forever Too Far (Rosemary Beach, #3; Too Far, #3) by Abbi Glines Magonia (Magonia, #1) by Maria Dahvana Headley Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling
Homeland (Forgotten Realms The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) by R.A. Salvatore Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling Menagerie (Menagerie, #1) by Rachel Vincent Broken by Willow Winters Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1) by Anthony Ryan Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu
Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6) by Terry Pratchett A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1) by V.E. Schwab Buy Me, Sir by Jade West Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #1) by C.J. Roberts Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #2) by C.J. Roberts Epilogue (The Dark Duet, #3) by C.J. Roberts Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5) by Patricia Briggs Alpha and Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5) by Patricia Briggs Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs
Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4) by Patricia Briggs Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7) by Patricia Briggs
Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8) by Patricia Briggs Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9) by Patricia Briggs Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop Vision in Silver (The Others, #3) by Anne Bishop Persephone by Kitty Thomas
Pretty Lies (Pleasure House, #4) by Kitty Thomas Hear Me by Skye Warren The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1) by Sarah J. Maas The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson
Freed (Bad Boy Hitman Romance) by Terry Towers The Last Namsara (Iskari, #1) by Kristen Ciccarelli Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1) by Mark Lawrence Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant, #1) by Ilona Andrews
Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1) by Nora Flite The Extinction Trials (The Extinction Trials, #1) by S.M. Wilson Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell The Little Android (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.6) by Marissa Meyer Renegades (Renegades, #1) by Marissa Meyer An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir
Swallowing Darkness (Meredith Gentry, #7) by Laurell K. Hamilton Elric of Melniboné  by Michael Moorcock Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Marked (Alex Verus, #9) by Benedict Jacka Mitosis (The Reckoners, #1.5) by Brandon Sanderson Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends, #1) by Kelley Armstrong
Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1) by Kendare Blake Sweet Captivity by Julia Sykes Pestilence (The Four Horsemen, #1) by Laura Thalassa The Special Ones by Em Bailey The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1) by Genevieve Cogman Bad Boy (Valetti Crime Family #5) by Willow Winters
Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowlands, #1) by Cherise Sinclair Firefight (The Reckoners, #2) by Brandon Sanderson A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2) by Sabaa Tahir Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman Curran POV Collection by Gordon Andrews One Dark Throne (Three Dark Crowns, #2) by Kendare Blake
The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Angelic (Otherworld Stories, #9.3) by Kelley Armstrong Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews Calamity (The Reckoners, #3) by Brandon Sanderson Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1) by Ilona Andrews
Quidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1) by Nicholas Eames Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) by C.S. Lewis
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1) by Victoria Schwab Circe by Madeline Miller Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2) by C.S. Lewis Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare
Siege and Storm (Grisha Verse, #2) by Leigh Bardugo The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavan Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2) by Ilona Andrews Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1) by David Hair Pretty Lies (Pleasure House, #4) by Kitty Thomas Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling
Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2) by Nalini Singh The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) by C.S. Lewis Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1) by Ilona Andrews A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2) by Patrick Rothfuss The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4) by C.S. Lewis

Points so far: 584.2

message 11: by Ahdam (last edited Apr 22, 2018 12:39PM) (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Ahdam's challenge contribution score card:

1. Legend
Pages 345
Points 3.5
BR bonus 1.7
Total points 5.3

2. 1984
Pages 330
Challenge bonus: 0.8
Total points 4.2

3.I, Robot
Pages 230
Challenge bonus: 0.6
Total points 2.9

4.White Sand Volume 1
Pages 160
Challenge bonus: 0.2
Total points 0.6

5. Warbreaker
Pages 650
BR Bonus: 3.3
Challenge Bonus: 1.6
Total points 11.5

Overall Total 24.5

message 12: by Yanique (last edited Jan 21, 2018 01:35PM) (new)

Yanique Gillana | 829 comments Yanique's challenge contribution score card:

1. Needful Things
Pages 790
Points 7.9
Challenge bonus 2
Total points 9.9

2. Blue Lily, Lily Blue
Pages 391
Points 3.9
Challenge bonus 1
Total points 4.9

3. Dead Until Dark
Pages 292
Points 2.9
BR bonus 1.5
Total points 4.4

4. Animal Farm
Pages 122
Points 1.2
Challenge bonus 0.3
Total points 1.6

5. Bag of Bones
Pages 726
Points 7.3
Total points 7.3

5. Gardens of the Moon
Pages 666
Points 6.7
BR bonus 3.3
Challenge bonus 1.7
Total points 11.8

6. Desperation
Pages 547
Points 5.5
Challenge bonus 1.4
Total points 6.9

7. The Raven King
Pages 439
Points 4.4
Total points 4.4

8. The Boy
Pages 224
Points 2.2
Total points 2.2

9. Perfume: The story of a murderer
Pages 263
Points 2.6
Total points 2.6

10. Living Dead in Dallas
Pages 291
Points 2.9
BR bonus 1.5
Total points 4.4

11. The Door
Pages 272
Points 2.7
Total points 2.7

12. Three Souls
Pages 439
Points 4.4
Challenge bonus 1.1
Total points 5.5

13. A Dance with Dragons
Pages 1125
Points 11.3
Challenge bonus 2.8
Total points 14.2

Challenge to Date total 84.6

Here are my book challenges:
Book Cover Challenge
Book Bingo Challenge

message 13: by Barry (last edited Apr 10, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Barry’s challenge contribution score card

I'm going to just copy the calculation from the spreadsheet to here, because my calculation was slightly different.

Challenge to date Total : 176.0

1. The Hero of Ages
Pages : 572
BR Bonus : 2.9
Challenge bonus : 1.4 (bingo)
Sub-total : 10.0

2. Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01
Pages : 224
Bonus : 0
Sub-total : 0.6

3. Countdown City
Pages : 316
Bonus : 0.8 (bingo)
Sub-total : 4.0

4. Gardens of the Moon
Pages : 666
BR Bonus : 3.3
Bonus : 1.7 (bingo)
Sub-Total : 11.8

5. Red Seas Under Red Skies
Pages : 558
BR Bonus : 2.8
Challenge : 1.4 (bookcover)
Sub-Total : 9.8

6. Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less
Pages : 320
BR Bonus : 0
Challenge : 0.8 (bingo)
Sub-Total : 4.0

7. American Gods
Pages : 635
BR Bonus : 3.2
Challenge : 1.6 (bingo)
Sub-Total : 11.2

8. Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood
Pages : 304
BR Bonus : none
Challenge : 0.8 (cover)
Sub-total : 3.8

9. A Clash of Kings
Pages : 761
BR Bonus : 3.8
Challenge : 1.9 (cover)
Sub-Total : 13.5

10. The Republic of Thieves
Pages : 650
BR Bonus : 3.3
Challenge : 1.7 (bingo)
Sub-Total : 11.5

11. Deadhouse Gates
Pages: 604
BR Bonus : 3.0
Challenge : 1.5 (bingo)
Sub-Total : 10.7 --> I don't know how, I'm just following the spreadsheet

12. How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character
Pages : 256
BR Bonus : n/a
Challenge : 0.6 (bingo)
Sub-Total : 3.3

13. Dune
Pages : 604
Challenge : 1.5 (bingo)
Sub-Total : 10.7

14. Children of Time
Pages : 600
Challenge : 1.5
Sub-Total : 10.5

15. The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi
Pages : 287
Challenge : 0.7 (bingo)
Sub-Total : 3.7

16. Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
Pages : 288
Challenge : 0.7 (Bingo)
Sub-Total : 3.7

17. Anathem
Pages : 937
BR Bonus : 4.7
Challenge : 2.4 (Bingo)
Sub-Total : 16.5

18. Promise of Blood
Pages : 545
BR Bonus : 2.7
Challenge : 1.4 (Bingo)
Sub-Total : 9.7

19. A Storm of Swords
Pages : 1177
BR Bonus : 5.9
Challenge : 3.0 (Cover)
Sub-Total : 20.7

20. The Ghost Brigades
Pages : 347
BR Bonus : 1.7
Challenge : 0.9 (Cover)
Sub-Total : 6.2

message 14: by Lundos (last edited Jan 06, 2018 10:40PM) (new)

Lundos | 392 comments Hi guys,
Do you update the official scoresheet?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

EDIT: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you go to your name in the sheets in the bottom and save it as a bookmark, it will always open your sheet.

(I've added a few things to my sheet, so don't worry if it looks a bit different).

message 15: by Lundos (last edited Jan 06, 2018 11:10PM) (new)

Lundos | 392 comments Another question. Scott has Gardens of the Moon on 752 pages, while CP has it on 666 pages. Which is correct?

My version has 752 pages, but we were told to take the most popular one, which must be the one that you get when you 'search books' for it on Goodreads, right? And that is 666 pages for me.

What if that function returns different editions?

EDIT: The Law of Large Numbers should even the page count out over time, I think. You win some here and lose some there.

A quick calculation regarding the highest page number vs. the popular one gives me roughly 10% less points with the popular one.

message 16: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14926 comments I don't think Scott has updated his sheet since the rule changes and addition of the date read column... I think 666 is the official number... it's the number that comes up when I search Goodreads... my ebook has 723 pages

message 17: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Hey Lundos. 666 pages is the correct amount. I don’t think Scott has updated his entry since the rules changed. Your method of searching is the right way. Unless the different editions are very close in number and one overtakes the other I think the search will always give you the same results.

message 18: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments That was prompt. Thanks guys.

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Laura don’t forget to put your books in the spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Done Bill. Thank you for reminding me. Could you please take a look and see if I did it right? I am really bad with computers.

message 21: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments Hi Laura,

Welcome to the party. It looks correct. And what a tally!

Looks like our team are starting off very nicely. Besides the most points we also have the highest number of participants.

Keep it up, team!

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Thank you Lundos. :)

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

If people want we can just use the spreadsheet. I don't think we need the extra paperwork of doing two sets of data entry.

message 24: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments I would prefer only using the spreadsheet, but I feel pretty well-versed in Excel.

People can just ask here if they do it correctly?

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Lundos wrote: "I would prefer only using the spreadsheet, but I feel pretty well-versed in Excel.

People can just ask here if they do it correctly?"

If anybody has an issue with Excel let me know and I can enter one of theirs as an example or check one they enter. I don't think you need mad Excel skills to enter the data. The equations that do the math behind the scenes can be confusing if you've never done it but nobody will have to do that.

message 26: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments True. It's well set up by Rob.

Cool. Then let's agree only to have to update the scoresheet and let decide to themselves if they still want to update this page.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I am not very good with Excel so I'll be just introducing the data like you said Scott.

But are we supposed to lock the sheet also? I don't know how to do that.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I think we could update this list with just the titles without points

message 29: by Lundos (new)

Lundos | 392 comments You're not supposed to lock your sheet. Everything you've done so far is enough.

True. That wouldn't take too long.

message 30: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Yeah with the scoresheet this page is redundant. But, I’m ok if we all agree to still update it.

message 31: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm just giving a basic overview here for my reads.

message 32: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I've added my scores to the tracker and here and is that correct I only followed what Laura did on her tracker but it feels great to have finally made a star now I've got 2 series I need to catch up on and a Sanderson buddy read to start haha.

message 33: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Looks right, Ahdam. Are you not doing any of the challenges? Just noticed you didn't mark one on that. I try to fit all of my reads into one of them. :D

message 34: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Couldn't really find one to fit this book but I'm gonna try and fit them into challenges although it might have been answered but am I correct in assuming the incomplete series doesn't count

Also I've decided not to pick up anymore challenges for awhile since enough is enough but I might do th A-Z challenge soon so we shall see

message 35: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments The incomplete series counts for sequels. So you really only need to find a challenge fit for the first books of series.

message 36: by Yanique (last edited Jan 25, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Yanique Gillana | 829 comments Can I just add on challenges now if I decide to do them?

message 37: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I don't see why not. If the books you have read fit them.

If you are doing Bingo, Ahdam, you could use that for a buddy read or even one recommended by a goodreads user since a bunch of people have been recommending his books on here. Just a thought. :)

message 38: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14926 comments @Ahdam: There's also a stipulation in the rules that you can count the pages you read in a DNF... how many pages did you read before stopping with Malazan?... Just set that number as your page count for now, even if you plan on giving it another go later (I think that's allowed... altho you probably won't be able to count it as a Buddy Read if you get back to it before 2019, you can count your DNG pages for the Buddy Read, I think)...

message 39: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments That's true, Iain. He could count whatever number of pages he read using them as a buddy read for a little bit. If another read of that one comes up he could always read it then and replace the old points calculation.

message 40: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I didn't see this for some reason whoops but to respond to your question Iain I don't count it as DNF since I mainly DNF to those books I hate or cant continue but Malazen is on hold besides I don't think I got past 30 pages so its nothing worth noting

In other news finished my second book