Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

My Girlfriend's Perfect Ex-Boyfriend
Book Issues > Can someone help me add my latest novel to my profile? Thanks

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter Jones (peterjonesauthor) | 8 comments Hello folks,

Been trying to figure out how to claim my latest novel (which is already on goodreads) and add it to my author profile... and now I've given up. Can anyone help me with that?

Many thanks

Peter :-)

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim (techthing) | 227 comments I changed the name in the author field, so that the book should now (or very soon) appear on your profile.

Are there other books on the other profile ( https://www.goodreads.com/author/show... ) that are also by your hand?

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter Jones (peterjonesauthor) | 8 comments Cheers Tim :-)

Was the name different to my author field then? (Extra spaces??)
And no - once your alteration filters through the system ALL my books will be in the right place.

Many thanks for doing that.

Peter

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim (techthing) | 227 comments No, I only changed the author field for the book you mentioned. Hence my question if there were other books.

I did not change the author profile itself, also because of the message on top of the page: "Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.".

And yes, it was a matter of extra spaces. :)

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Jones (peterjonesauthor) | 8 comments Well thanks again Tim :-)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

FYI Peter your name in the database is Peter^^Jones (^=space) Books will auto load into the default one space profile. You can try to beat the bot as soon as you know the ASIN/ISBN and load it yourself. Just make sure you are on your profile and go to "add new book" (I think that is how it works) or just be sure to add that extra space and it will be on your profile.

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Jones (peterjonesauthor) | 8 comments Hi Corinne

I didn't know that! So if I go into my profile and remove the extra space (I mean, why would I want it there), presumably all my books will vanish from my profile and I'll have to ask one of you lovely people to change all the books?

Peter

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

You want it there. Search ignores the space so your readers will still easily find you. It's how we disambiguate between people with the same name. I recently added 10 spaces between names for an author.

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter Jones (peterjonesauthor) | 8 comments Ahhhh - I see! Clever! Well, I'll count my blessings that I only have one additional space :-)

Thanks Corinne

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 14, 2017 08:34AM) (new)

I just looked and I saw a Peter^^^^^^^Jones (7 spaces) so there are at least of 7 Peter Jones on GRs (without middle initial)

Also good to say I'm Peter Jones with two spaces when asking us to move things around so we don't have to figure it out first.

message 11: by Peter (new)

Peter Jones (peterjonesauthor) | 8 comments Will bear that in mind for my next book Corinne. Many thanks :-)