Play Book Tag discussion

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
This topic is about The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Archive: Other Books > The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry / Gabrielle Zevin. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8651 comments AJ is only 39, but is a widower. He drinks a bit too much and one night, while passed out, a very valuable book is stolen from him. He also owns a bookstore in the small town on the small island that he lives on. He is pretty disillusioned with life. Shortly after the book is stolen, though, something arrives at the bookstore to wake him up again.

I really enjoyed this! It wasn’t a page-turner or an action-packed book, but it was really enjoyable. I liked most of the characters (though I wasn’t crazy about either Daniel or Ismay). I also loved all the book/literary references! And the tv references, though there weren’t nearly as many of those.

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I thought it was cute too and I also liked the literary references. Sometimes they come off snooty to me, but not in this case.

message 3: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 15, 2017 05:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6033 comments I rated it only 3 stars ... but looking at my review I don't know why. I enjoyed this fable of second chances and the redemptive power of love, but apparently I didn't love it.

Also, I listened to the audio - narrated by Scott Brick. But for some reason I didn't write anything about Brick's performance in my review (which I usually do)

LibraryCin | 8651 comments Well, I'm glad I read it and didn't listen if Scott Brick was the narrator! :-)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6033 comments Could be that the audio performance is what brought the rating down for me. But since I didn't mention it in my review, I just can't tell. And I don't remember.

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I read too, not listened. Sometimes that really, really matters.

LibraryCin | 8651 comments Yes, sometimes it does matter. There must be plenty of people who like Scott Brick as narrator, but I've yet to find one that I do! He has a really nice voice, but it just doesn't work for me, listening to a book!