Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > looks like this needs to be deleted

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant | 96 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

I'm not a super librarian so I can't do it

message 2: by Empress (last edited Oct 14, 2017 05:38AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Ok found three possible books and looking at the single review I can't see what book is she referring to.

1. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bonnie-L.-Sc... - book already in database: The Cooking Cousins Cookbook: The Karl Wolfer Family Collection of Memories & Recipes

2. https://www.amazon.com/Bonnie-Scherer...

3. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bennys-New-H...

So, which book do we think it is? The review is from 2009 which doesn't exclude any of the above.

message 3: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20222 comments The cookbook is a hardcover.

Since "The rescue of Rusty Rabbit" is on Worldcat, and the other one isn't, I guess that's the one I would go for.

message 4: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Arenda wrote: "The cookbook is a hardcover."

Well spotted. Edition changed.

message 5: by lethe (last edited Oct 14, 2017 07:18AM) (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Ok found three possible books and looking at the single review I can't see what book is she referring to."

Judging from the review, I thought the adder/reviewer meant the author's books in general. I wouldn't have guessed they were talking about a children's book. Sigh.

message 6: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) It sounded to me like she judged the author's book by the quality of the book she got from the library. If she didn't like it I doubt she would have read more than one. Thing is if it a local writer the book might no be on Amazon or Worldcat.

Do you think changes should be reverted?

On the other hand why would you so strongly dislike a cookbook?

message 7: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) I was just thinking. It might be best if we change the title to "Unknown book", leave the author and add the children's book separately. That way the book can be resolved in future (if ever)

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments No no, I was merely commenting that I hadn't guessed the reviewer was talking about one specific book. And the way it was added to the database... sigh.

I just hope it is the same author. "Unknown book" might be better, though.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant | 96 comments why would you so strongly dislike a cookbook?

maybe they followed a recipe and nearly all died...

message 10: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) It sounds like she disliked the book and the writing. Can't believe it is a cook book and we already established that book is a hardback.

I will wait for another opinion on the "Unknown Book" vs "The rescue of Rusty Rabbit", but it might really be best ....

Anyone else want to chime in?

message 11: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20222 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "I will wait for another opinion on the "Unknown Book" vs "The rescue of Rusty Rabbit"

Maybe that's a better idea to change it to Unknown Book.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6673 comments Why not PM the reviewer and ask? I know at top it says last active Dec 2016, but she rated a book last month.

message 13: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments lethe wrote: "If the person couldn't be bothered to add the title in 2009, I highly doubt they would remember the title now."

Still worth a gamble though - if we don't ask, we've got no chance of guessing their mind. In the unlikely event they remember, we've "won", and if not, no-one loses :)

message 14: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments If someone wants to, go for it. I'm bowing out :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6673 comments lethe wrote: "If the person couldn't be bothered to add the title in 2009, I highly doubt they would remember the title now."

And maybe they didn't know how, and then couldn't edit it.