What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > roaring 20's fiction where girl is hanging out with her friends in the 1920s and is fascinated by a new girl in the group because she has a gap between her two front teeth where she can hold a cigarette without using her hands

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Hollar | 11 comments looking for book where girl is hanging out with her friends in the 1920s and is fascinated by a new girl in the group because she has a gap between her two front teeth where she can hold a cigarette without using her hands. I read this is high school in the late 70s or early 80s. I know this is vague but what it was is bothering my brain.

message 2: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Do you remember if the book was written in the 20s, or was it written more around the time you read it but it took place in the 20s? Do you remember how old the girls in the group were? If the book was written by a man or a woman?

The first two possibilities that popped into mind were The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall or Twilight Sleep by Edith Wharton. Your description of the cigarette and the teeth sounds familiar to me, but I'm not able to place it off the top of my head. Those two books I suggested were both published in the 1920s, but if the book you're looking for was written later, that will get me thinking in a different direction.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Hollar | 11 comments I believe it was written by a woman. It was not as serious looking as Twilight Sleep but could be. I think it was written more in modern times though; I randomly found it on the library shelf. I was really into Betsy, Tacey and Tibb books at the time and it was a little more adult than that but not racy.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16273 comments Still looking, Margaret?