Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > 0765392534

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (last edited Oct 13, 2017 02:17PM) (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 220 comments Perhaps only a question, depending upon the answer, but do you include "uncorrected proofs" if they have an ISBN of their own?

I ask only because I just won an ARC, which has the same cover painting, but only the book's tagline ("Even Gods Can Be Slain") on it. The back cover has a synopsis, "Marketing Plans" and information about the forthcoming trade paperback (including the ISBN given on the Goodreads page).

Also on the back is a small box, in which it says:
"UNCORRECTED PROOF ISBN 9780765399373"

I can scan the front (and back) cover, if you add proofs with ISBNs as editions.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 14, 2017 04:23AM) (new)

yes we do. It would be be marked as ARC (fully spelled out in the edition field)

ex https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

When the real book comes out the ARC will be moved to an ACE so the real book gets the ISBN. I've had a proof I won just merged which is wrong tho :(

message 3: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 220 comments Corinne wrote: "When the real book comes out the ARC will be moved to an ACE so the real book gets the ISBN"

Actually, the ISBN on the Goodreads entry is the one the official trade paperback will have. My Uncorrected Proof apparently has a uniqure ISBN (perhaps because they fully intended to ship a bunch as ARCs). So there wouldn't be an ACE.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

cool. still can be added. nice that it has it's own isbn

message 5: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Corinne wrote: "cool. still can be added. nice that it has it's own isbn"

Indeed. It would also be great if you can take a picture of the cover and upload it to the book entry. Let us know if you need any help with adding the book to the database. If that is the correct author/book title you can use this link

message 6: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 220 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "It would also be great if you can take a picture of the cover and upload it to the book entry"

I'll scan it and upload this afternoon.

message 7: by James (last edited Oct 14, 2017 11:05AM) (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 220 comments I have uploaded the cover (and added publisher info from the physical copy). (yes, the title is not on the cover, only on the spine)

I have a scan of the back cover, if that is of any interest (I assume not).

Note I screwed up and wrote "uncoreected" rather than "uncorrected".

Page count: 493

And thanks, for the assistance.

message 8: by Empress (last edited Oct 14, 2017 11:33AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Corrected.

After adding the edition you should have some time where you can go back and do limited edits. Not sure how long though. The edit option is just under and to the right of "all edition". You probably can't see it now.

message 9: by James (last edited Oct 14, 2017 11:42AM) (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 220 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "You probably can't see it now"

I just looked and the option to edit is still there.

But thanks, for doing it.