Theatre Books and Plays discussion

films-within-films

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks (last edited Oct 14, 2017 01:55PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Movies about movie-production

The Stunt Man (huge influence on me)
Day for Night (Truffaut)
Night Moves (Arthur Penn's fantastic thriller)
(amazingly, these three projects were all derived from the same source novel!)
The Producers
My Favorite Year
Nickelodeon
The Wild Party
The Day of the Locust
Inside Daisy Clover
Network (well, TV-related)
In a Lonely Place
8 1/2
The King of Comedy
The Last Tycoon
The Bad and the Beautiful
Stardust Memories
All That Jazz

and/or movies/plays about the theatre, stage life, and playwriting?

All About Eve
Blue Window
Marat-Sade
The Balcony (Jean Genet)
Six Characters in Search of an Author (Pirandello)
Weeds
A Double Life
The Entertainer

Two scripts I'm writing rely on 'story-within-a-story'. That is, the characters in the 'surface-plot' are themselves working as actors performing on a movie set; and the story they are working on, bends back onto their real lives. Something about this always mesmerizes me.

I also like the 'intelligence' of actors and directors; as figures to illustrate and learn lessons from. Its admirable the way they study human nature around them, and re-formulate it. They seem to have additional antennae waving around invisibly, which the rest of us (with more traditional occupations) don't often exercise.

This "heightened awareness" makes them superb fictional characters. They're catalysts for incident and anecdote. Take someone like Klaus Kinsky, for example. If he didn't exist in real life, some writer would've had to invent a guy like that and put him in a story.

message 2: by Erik F. (new)

Erik F. | 4 comments Le Mépris (Contempt)
Beware of a Holy Whore
Pastoral: To Die in the Country
Living in Oblivion
Inland Empire

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Monroe Not sure if this fits the category you've asked for but here are movies about (mostly) a specific movie production like
The Girl
My Week With Marilyn
Hitchcock

message 4: by DiegoCestrada (new)

DiegoCestrada | 3 comments Interesting thread of conversation going on here. When it comes to meta-fiction, I am always drawn by its self-awareness as a fictitious text. I haven't read many plays with this kind of form, but, I think that Shakespeare's Hamlet is a very early example of this stylistic shift. Who is not familiar with that memorable scene when Prince Hamlet manages to organize a play imitating the event of the murder of King Hamlet, in order to recognize the reactions in his uncle Claudius, thus confirming Claudius' guilt.

In terms of films, I can not help to mention and recommend "Adaptation", by Spike Jonze, that presents us with the following argument. Despite the acclaims for the first movie script that he produced in his career, Being John Malkovich", for which he was nominated to the Oscars, Charlie Kauffman goes through a complex creative crisis. He has been given the job of adapting a novel by novelist Susan Orlean, "The Orchid Thief", into the big screen. However, he has a lot of trouble in adapting it because of the fact that the structure of the novel is difficult to translate into a film. The story of the novel follows John Laroche, an eccentric collector, and investigator of orchids.

Meanwhile, Charlie's twin brother, Donald Kaufman, successfully makes a living in the world of screenplay, evidencing and ironizing with Charlie's own incapacity. The movie unfolds around the making of this movie and Charlie's own meditations and interpretations of the novel.

There are a few things worth mentioning: As many of you should probably know, Charlie Kauffman is a real writer who wrote the screenplay for "Being John Malkovich", Spike Jonze's first film (also, another excellent movie). In the movie, Charlie's fictitious twin brother also works in the writing of a screenplay, but he does the job effortlessly, a situation that reveals certain irony. Finally, the adaptation in which Charlie works is a real novel that is also based on an article written by Susan Orlean for the New Yorker in 1995. In conclusion, in this film, we can clearly observe the procedures of intertextuality and metafiction.

I definitely recommend this movie. I'll think of more fiction about fiction that I've read or seen. Regards!

message 5: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) for fans of Shakespeare, meta-fiction, and multi-media; I can recommend Sir John Gielgud in the very odd art film, 'Prospero's Books'

message 6: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Awk! Now I am for it. I should've bookmarked this yrs ago but I can't find it.

Trying to recall a very "David Lynch-like" film, involving dreams and time-loops and whatnot but NOT actually directed by David Lynch.

It has something to do with a girl and her boyfriend stopping off at a liquor store and witnessing a robbery or a murder and the woman driving off alone; experiencing flashbacks later; not sure what she saw or what happened to her boyfriend, not knowing is he alive or dead or in hiding or what. Did she kill him herself? Is she a ghost? Is it all a childhood memory? An emphatically surreal film. Neo-noir/ drugs/ surreality. Not a big hit, but featuring one of this era's typical Hollywood trollopes. Probably made sometime around 10-12 yrs ago.

Can anyone suggest how I can track this down?

message 7: by Richie (new)

Richie | 1 comments Sunset Boulevard for movie making.
42nd Street, Kiss Me Kate, Singin’ in the Rain about making a musical!

message 8: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Too true, Talluh! Good picks

message 9: by Erik F. (new)

Erik F. | 4 comments Stage Door (theatre)
Opening Night (theatre)
Irma Vep (filmmaking)
Full Frontal (filmmaking)

message 10: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Irma Vep? They made a fictional movie about the real-life making of 'les Vampyres'?

message 11: by Erik F. (new)

Erik F. | 4 comments It's actually about the making of an updated *remake* of Les Vampyres, but there's a bit more to it than that. I really enjoyed it :)

message 12: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 168 comments Mod
Feliks wrote: "Movies about movie-production

The Stunt Man (huge influence on me)
Day for Night (Truffaut)
Night Moves (Arthur Penn's fantastic thriller)
(amazingly, these three projects were all derived from t..."

This is a brilliant list of not only films, but films within films.

message 13: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 168 comments Mod
Feliks wrote: "for fans of Shakespeare, meta-fiction, and multi-media; I can recommend Sir John Gielgud in the very odd art film, 'Prospero's Books'"

Sadly, this is no longer available in the US. It is a wonderful adaptation of THE TEMPEST.

message 14: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) You've seen it? Bravo