What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Tale: Hunter have an encounter with african wild dogs.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cesar (new)

Cesar Grossmann (cesarakg) | 3 comments I think this is just a tale inside a book, it's about a hunter that is arrogant and presumptuous, and have an encounter, in the savannah, with a pack of african wild dogs.

They make him run for his life, and he becames afraid of small dogs because of it.

I think it's from Edgar A. Poe, but I'm not sure. It's a horror tale for sure, and I think it's from late 19th century, or the first decades from 20th century. Gothic horror, perhaps?

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Cesar, can you tell us more about the hunter - where he's from, type of animals he hunts, very rich, etc.? Was the term "hyenas" used?

Anything you can tell us about the main story and its characters?

message 3: by Cesar (new)

Cesar Grossmann (cesarakg) | 3 comments The hunter is an european, the kind of "I can kill all animals that cross my way". I think it's a late 19th century or start of 20th century because of the theme of safari and such.

I can't remember if there are hyenas, but the plot is that he was hunted by a pack of DOGS, not hyenas, and dogs from Africa if I remember correctly, but maybe it were Australian Dingos?

They hunted him, and he run for his life for a lot of time, until he got saved.

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments Maybe, The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell? Here is the link to the wiki page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mos...

The premise is a little different.

How many years ago did you read this story? Do you remember anything about the book the story was in?

message 5: by Cesar (new)

Cesar Grossmann (cesarakg) | 3 comments I think it's not "The Most Dangerous Game". I read the wikipage and it doesn't sound like it.

I remember another history, I think it was a book with a collection of horror histories.

The other short story I remember is about someone that bough a new house, but there was something misterious with the backyard. You cannot see the end of it. If you stop to watch it, it appears to became ever bigger, darker, misterious. And there's a tale about a previous owner, that got lost in the backyard, and was found crazy, saying he visited hell or something, and that the backyard was in fact a path to hell, inhabited by monsters and devils, something in these lines.

I don't remember when I read this, I think it was sometime in 1994 or 1995, and the book was old.

I may be confusing two different horror books here, my memory is confuse about it, It was a time I was reading books too fast and without paying much attention, so all I have is these "impressions".

Sorry.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39275 comments Mod
Cesar, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Most Dangerous Game (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Connell (other topics)