The Book Vipers discussion

The Muse
This topic is about The Muse
Group Read Archive > Group Fiction Read - The Muse - Nov 2017 - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
Spoilers are allowed in this thread. Please unselect 'Add to my update feed' so other don't see your comments.

Things to consider:

1. Did you like the book?
2. Did you like or dislike the main characters?
3. Do the characters develop?
4. What did you think of the plot and the ending of the story?
5. Do you have any particular favourite quotes or scenes?
6. Would you read anything else by this author?

Becky | 161 comments I'm not really sure what to say about this one. I finished it with a bit of a shrug, it was OK.

I thought it was better than the Miniaturist. That one promised an intriguing mystery which then just disappeared at the end. At least in this one the questions raised were answered. The answers weren't particularly surprising but they were there.

I think the switching between two time periods technique has been over used but it can work when done well. In this case I found it a distraction and annoyance, just when I was getting into a storyline it cut off.

3 out of 5

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
I absolutely loved this when I read it earlier this year, the period of history particularly appealed to me so enhanced my interest in the story being told.

This is my review:
This is the moment when I am pleased I gave one of my favourite books of recent years 4 stars. I loved the Miniaturist, but there was one slightly unsatisfactory aspect to it at the end that meant it wasn't quite perfect.

Lucky I felt that, because it left me with room this time around to go higher and give Ms Burton the full five shining stars.

I was hooked by this book from the outset. It did not disappoint in anyway at all. It was satisfying and complete in the way I wish all my reads were. An engrossing story, with clever cross overs between the two young women who are our main characters, Olive and Odelle. Full of human spirit and human flaws across the fascinating cast.

Simply - wonderful.

Pamela (bibliohound) | 359 comments I liked the book but didn't love it. I found it rather slow and predictable, although I did feel the strands were drawn together well in the end. Although The Miniaturist had its flaws, I found the characters far more engaging and interesting. The characters of The Muse were all self-obsessed, and lacking in empathy. I just got tired of them in the end.

Saffron (celeste1973) | 136 comments I enjoyed this more than the Miniaturist, I feel it lived up to the promise of the authors first book. The female protagonists were feisty and intelligent in both the timescales, they were both hindered by gender and ethnicity but refused to be put down, even though it took Odelle a bit of a push to start with.

The ending was good too, I was glad it didn't finish in a sloppy romantic novel, boy gets girl and everyone is happy. Being single is okay, you do not have to be defined by a relationship. Well said.