What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Awakening
This topic is about The Awakening
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young Russian pianist has affair with "older" man, possibly YA. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer | 8 comments I read this in the late 1970s or early 80s. It was shelved in the juvenile fiction section. I recollect the word "awakening" possibly being in the title. A young Russian piano student has an affair with an "older" man, I don't think he's married. She spends too much time with him and neglects the piano. When it is time for her exam, she cuts her fingers with a knife while slicing bread. I think the man is very tormented and somewhat emotionally abusive. I think it was set in the early Soviet era. It seems an unlikely story for YA for the time.

message 2: by Tab (last edited Oct 13, 2017 12:35PM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Doesn't quite fit, but:
The Accompanist The Accompanist by Nina Berberova

Or, The Awakening by Kyra Petrovskaya Wayne

Here is the Google Books link for "The Awakening." Some of the keywords like "piano" and "examination" and "bread" can be found when you search within the book.
https://books.google.com/books?id=Y_8...

Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?

Jennifer | 8 comments May very well be The awakening by Wayne. Definitely was not part of a series.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Jennifer, it looks like you moved this to SOLVED but you aren't 100% sure it's the right book? You can always put it in Possibly Solved and let us know when you get hold of a copy.

Jennifer | 8 comments I've got a copy on order, but I'm 99.9% sure this is the book.

Jennifer | 8 comments Definitely The Awakening by Kyra Petrovskaya Wayne