Polls for Our Souls discussion

I Need Recommendations > Best Dean Koontz and Stephen King books?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liv (new)

Liv (oliviapautot) | 13 comments I want to start reading some Dean Koontz and Stephen King. I love scary, thriller, horror, and mystery! There's so many, I don't know where to start.

Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨ (sunnysbooks) | 45 comments I’m currently listening to the Misery audiobook, and I’m really liking it so far.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (theharlequinbat) Of the Stephen Kings I've read so far, the best were (in no particular order): Misery, The Green Mile, 'Salem's Lot, It, The Dark Half and Carrie. Probably best ones to start with are either Carrie, 'Salem's Lot or Misery. Carrie is a nice short read, and actually King's very first published book.

message 4: by Terris (new)

Terris I'd start with Carrie if I was you :)

Jen - The Tolkien Gal (fayepixie) | 38 comments from King my favourites are IT, The Long Walk, The Stand, Wizard and Glass and Hearts in Atlantis. King books can mean a lot to you if you get into him.

I like Odd Thomas from Koontz but other than that I don't know him well.

message 6: by Candace (new)

Candace (candywilliams) THE STAND is widely considered King's masterpiece. Some literary critics look down their noses at King's work, but I think they have a bias against paranormal subjects. I'd challenge any of them to read MISERY in its original printed form and then try to justify their criticism. There's nothing paranormal in the book so they'd have to judge it strictly on writing talent, which is brilliant. The story is about a romance author who's held against his will by a crazed fan. She insists that he rewrite the ending of the series the way SHE thinks it should be. She provides an old typewriter and forces him to do the rewrite. So we have the story of MISERY itself, plus the rewrite of the romance story, in which the main character is named "Misery." The author is typing along, and one of the typewriter's letters won't print (I don't remember which one) and you see his manuscript pages without that particular letter. Other little annoying things go wrong, but he has to keep writing. And yes, you guessed it, finally the letter "e" won't print. Can you imagine if you were trying to write with that going on? And of course all the while, he's in excruciating pain, and being tortured by this insane fan. Great work. :)

Emily Just Emily*~* | 52 comments the dark tower series is great.
pet Semetary was my favorite though. Don't think for a minute all his books will be like the movies.....they aren't. at all.

Emily Just Emily*~* | 52 comments another really creepy series I've discovered is the Helen Grace series starting with Eeny Meeny as the first book or Karin Slaughter with her crazy dark series featuring Will Trent....

message 9: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (dogdaysinaz) | 3 comments My first King books were IT and The Stand--both long and I loved them. Good starters might be Green Mile and Different Seasons (four stories, one book.) I listened to 11/22/63 and thought it was really cool. I'm currently reading the Dark Tower series but I'm not sure I would recommend it for a newbie, just because the first book is not the best, IMO.

I haven't read as much Koontz. My first was a beat up paperback copy of The Mask and the most recent was From the Corner of His Eye. I don't remember much about the first one now except that I liked it; the last one was very good.

message 10: by Rima (new)

Rima Ben Hammadi | 159 comments The way I see it, when you read a Stephen King’s book your either going to adooore the book or not like it one bit. For me, there is no in between.
My favourites are: The green mile and dolores claiborn.
Couldn’t put them down...