The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15) The Chosen question

NEED A SERIES LIKE BDB
Rachel Rachel Oct 13, 2017 10:04AM
I love JR Ward and the BDB series! I tried to start the Immortals After Dark series as a lot of posts I came accross said it was similar but I just can't get through the first book, it's just not as good. Then I tried JR Ward's Fallen Angels series but it's really letting me down, I was hoping for a better story line I guess. So I'm a little picky but really wanting to start a well written series like BDB. Any other suggestions?? Thank you!!

Rachel, I second (third?) the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole. These are the first paranormal books I read and still my go-to reread series. Are you trying to read 'The Warrior Wants Forever' or 'A Hunger like No Other'? Honestly, my favorite book in the series is the next book, 'No Rest for the Wicked.' Maybe try that one first. I sincerely hope you will give the series another chance...

Also, try the Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter. Its about demon possessed warriors (no vampires), but is still a fun read.

Like Leeda suggested, the Night Huntress series is a good read too.

I know this is an old thread, but since you never know who's looking and when, I wanted to pipe in.

JR Ward's Fallen Angels series didn't win me over the first time I started it. I began with the first book of the series and didn't even make it halfway. Fast forward a couple years and I randomly downloaded a Fallen Angels book further into the series without realizing it was part of that series and suddenly I couldn't put it down! I had to go back and start the series over again with my newfound enjoyment of the storyline and discovered it was a worthwhile read. Still no BDB, but that's going to be hard to beat!

I also agree with Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series. Similar to BDB with a collection of primary books/characters and smaller novellas to keep you occupied. Probably my 2nd fave next to BDB.

Lords of the Underworld started strong but Gena Showalter has been struggling in the last couple books of the series. The latest I was unable to finish due to the plot, characters, and overall poor writing.

Immortals After Dark series provides for plenty of standalone reads (you do not have to know the series to still enjoy the book) but also characters that grow on you and develop with the series. Unfortunately, some scenes feel like high school drama or a sorority house gone wrong at times so be prepared for some immaturity.

Have you tried Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole? Wasn't so keen on the first book but I've enjoyed the rest.

ChocolateMuffin (last edited Nov 14, 2017 01:53AM ) Nov 14, 2017 01:52AM   0 votes
I've just finished BDB and I refused to read anything that didn't resemble BDB haha but a dear friend of mine told me to read Midnight Breed series (written by Lara Adrian) since they do share some similarities. I just started on the first book and they do have a lot in common. So give it a try ;D

Leeda (last edited Dec 04, 2017 09:41PM ) Dec 04, 2017 09:06PM   0 votes
I am with you, Rachel. I love the BDB series and am constantly in search of a series that resembles it or is well written. Have you tried reading The Night Huntress Series? It is also an urban fantasy series. There are several spin-offs that dig deeper into the supporting characters' lives. Pretty good series.

Yvonne (last edited Mar 02, 2018 10:12AM ) Mar 02, 2018 10:08AM   0 votes
I'm totally digging the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian. Its a bit more "grown up" (hot, hot, hot) than BDB, which was my fav for years.

I'm also reading the Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter, which is fun, and a bit more juvenile than the Black Dagger. Also, the first book's love story was a bit of a slog in my opinion, but she totally laid the bones for the upcoming books/characters, which rapidly improved. She has a few spin offs, and I just started her Dark Angels, which was pretty darn good! But I would recommend reading her books in order, don't just jump into the Angel book willy nilly.

Lastly, both of these series are established with lots of books, so it will keep you busy for a while.

I second the Midnight Breed series (by Lara Adrian). The Dark Protector series (by Rebecca Zanetti) is very good too.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Chosen (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kresley Cole (other topics)