Amazon exiles discussion

Music chat > Only One Letter

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Endersby (davidendersby) | 436 comments If you could only listen to music from bands or artists that began with the same one letter of the alphabet, what would that letter be? Why? And which artist that you couldn't listen to would you miss the most? And of course you need to use the surname, not first name for people. So Tom Jones is J for example and we don't count the 'The' so The Jam is also J. Does that make sense?

message 2: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments This is hard!!! - I love so many Bands and really dislike quite a few too! ...

E for Erasure - as I would probably miss them the most ;o>

B for Chris De Bleurrrggghhh - (*shudder*) ... need I say more? ;o<

message 3: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments I've noticed in the past that I have an unusually large number of Ms:

Mahler (a large proportion of my classical collection)

John Martyn
John Mayall
Van Morrison

However, Miles Davis isn't a genuine M.

message 4: by David (new)

David Endersby (davidendersby) | 436 comments The idea is that whichever letter you pick, you can listen to music from ANY artist beginning with that letter - but that's all. So if you picked 'E' you could listen to your favourite Erasure, plus The Eagles, Gloria Estefan, Eels, Edison Lighthouse and so on - but no-one who doesn't begin with your chosen letter.

message 5: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Then again, it could be W

Wagner

Weather Report

Tom Waits

message 6: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments Think I'm a C! Many would agree! That would cover,
Cave
Cramps
Culture
Clash
Cohen

message 7: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Tech wrote: "Think I'm a C! Many would agree!"

Are you callin' me a W?

message 8: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Tech wrote: "Think I'm a C! Many would agree! That would cover,
Cave
Cramps
Culture
Clash
Cohen"

Perry Como?
(The) Chipmunks?
David Cassidy?
Cher?
Christopher Cross?
Sheryl Crow?
Phil Collins?
Culture Club?

message 9: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments Are you callin' me a W?"

I'm thinking that it's a strong possibility you spilt my pint, ya W! :)

message 10: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments Perry Como?
(The) Chipmunks?
David Cassidy?
Cher?
Christopher Cross?
Sheryl Crow?
Phil Collins?
Culture Club?

These are a few of my favourite things! :)

message 11: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Oct 13, 2017 01:54PM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments ! ;o>

message 12: by Helen The Melon (new)

Helen The Melon | 2895 comments Tech wrote: "Perry Como?
(The) Chipmunks?
David Cassidy?
Cher?
Christopher Cross?
Sheryl Crow?
Phil Collins?
Culture Club?

These are a few of my favourite things! :)"

You forgot about The Cheeky Girls ;-)

message 13: by Helen The Melon (new)

Helen The Melon | 2895 comments I think mine would possibly be S:

Sisters of Mercy, The Sound, Stone Roses, Smiths, Suede, Sugar, Soundgarden, Sonic Youth, Soft Moon, Sonic Jesus, Soviet Soviet, Snake Corps, Slowdive, Sad Lovers & Giants.......

message 14: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Would that also include Soft Cell?

message 15: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Oooh? ... but probably not dear old Sooty & Sweep? ...

And before you laugh and say who would buy that? ... ERRR? ... that would be my Mum and Dad and they bought it for me when I was about 5 or 6 ... AND ... I've still got it - LOL!!! ;o>

message 16: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments ......and how far thru' it are you now? (please remember i'm at work and so have no smiley face facility!)

message 17: by Spiritinblack (new)

Spiritinblack | 127 comments suzysunshine7 wrote: "Oooh? ... but probably not dear old Sooty & Sweep? ...

And before you laugh and say who would buy that? ... ERRR? ... that would be my Mum and Dad and they bought it for me when I was about 5 or..."

I had a pinky and perky (cue rude responses) LP when i was a kid.

message 18: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Tech wrote: "......and how far thru' it are you now? (please remember i'm at work and so have no smiley face facility!)"

I last dusted it down and played it when I was about 30? - purely for sentimental reasons, of course! - and it still made me smile listening to it again. I just can't seem to be able to part with any of my childhood collection of Vinyl even though I have no children of my own to be able to pass it onto ;o>

message 19: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments well I get much use of my dub plate 'king rollo's meets the pogles inna 100 acre wood stylee' (deejay versioned by jah pinky and perky dread (little weed cultivation mix)!

message 20: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Oct 14, 2017 06:33AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Spiritinblack wrote: "I had a pinky and perky (cue rude responses) LP when i was a kid..."

Yep! - I've got several including 'Pinky & Perky Have A Party' but I'd better not put that picture up as well because I'm very mindful of not ending up detracting too much from David's Thread - LOL!

In fact, thinking about it? - I would probably least like to have P as my one letter? ...

Prince - I can sort-of take or leave
(The) Pogues - I've never been a fan
Pinky & Perky - need I say why?!!
Edith Piaf
Charlie Parker - I am SO not into Jazz
(The) Proclaimers
Elvis Presley - he really doesn't rock my boat

Hmmm? - but to not be able to listen to Pulp, or (The) Pet Shop Boys, Pink Floyd, Iggy Pop or (The) Pretenders anymore?

ARRRGGGHHH!!! - I can't play this Game!!! ;oO

message 21: by Spiritinblack (new)

Spiritinblack | 127 comments I think i might go for V

Then I can have Various so covers everything!!

message 22: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Oct 14, 2017 06:45AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Spiritinblack wrote: "I think i might go for V

Then I can have Various so covers everything!!"

Ohhh, very clever!!! - and so I can stick with my original 'E' and make it stand for Everything as well ... except for Chris DeBleurrrggghhh obviously ! - LOL!!! ;o>

message 23: by Val (last edited Oct 14, 2017 07:01AM) (new)

Val H. | 15740 comments I've indexed more than 2,500 albums in my collection (still got a few hundred to go) and so far I have more B artists (quiet in the peanut gallery!) (89), edging out C (85), M (84) and S (83). So I'm having:

The Byrds
Jerry Butler
Paul Buchanan
Paul Brady
David Bowie
all the Browns - Joe, Maxine and Jackson with an E
Bon Iver
Eric Bogle
Joan Baez
Big Star etc

I would really miss Ryan Adams, Van Morrison and Jason Isbell.

message 24: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Oct 14, 2017 07:03AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Justin Bieber?
Bananarama?
(The) B-52's - I love 'em ;o>

message 25: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments I would miss van Morrison, val, but it would depend on what I was throwing at him..............................and how hard!

message 26: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15740 comments suzysunshine7 wrote: "Justin Bieber?
Bananarama?
(The) B-52's - I love 'em ;o>"

I don't love The B-52s but I will own up to owning at least one album by Bananarama, Max Boyce, Sarah Brightman (quelle horreure!), and Michael Buble. And how did I come to own an album by Black Dub? Did tech sneak that one in?

message 27: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Tech wrote: "I would miss van Morrison, val, but it would depend on what I was throwing at him..............................and how hard!"

He doesn't move very quickly these days, tech. He never did, to be honest.

message 28: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Spiritinblack wrote: "suzysunshine7 wrote: "Oooh? ... but probably not dear old Sooty & Sweep? ...

And before you laugh and say who would buy that? ... ERRR? ... that would be my Mum and Dad and they bought it for me..."

Pinky and Perky, 6 year old my first record that Christmas, an ep with The Runaway Train, Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Wolf etc! Sooty is Big Leggy!!😄

message 29: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Ha! Always loved the Runaway Train, used to fall about laughing. My mum was a bit concerned that a 5 year old girl found a probable tragic accident quite hilarious. 😀

message 30: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments H

I'll have him and him and yeah him and her,she's very good, and her too, also her, ooh nearly forgot him and him and him......I think you get the idea.

message 31: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments I think I'd be a 'T', although I'd seriously miss Neil Young, Warren Zevon, The Grateful Dead and lots of others.

message 32: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9065 comments Martin wrote: "H

I'll have him and him and yeah him and her,she's very good, and her too, also her, ooh nearly forgot him and him and him......I think you get the idea."

But you'd miss out on them, and them, and ....

message 33: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments ... and I think that poor David has probably completely given up on us ever managing to make our Minds up?!!

Oooh, that's another one for Val's B List ? ... Bucks Fizz ! ;o>

message 34: by David (new)

David Endersby (davidendersby) | 436 comments Well, my letter would be 'B'. I'm a massive Bowie fan but I'd also get
The Beatles
Kate Bush
The Byrds
The Beach Boys
Blur
Blondie
Pat Benatar
Jack Bruce
Big Big Train

and lots of Blacks and Browns to name a few

I'd miss Pink Floyd, Led Zep and THe Eagles amongst many others but B is definitely the most popular letter in mycollection

message 35: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Tim wrote: "Martin wrote: "H

I'll have him and him and yeah him and her,she's very good, and her too, also her, ooh nearly forgot him and him and him......I think you get the idea."
But you'd miss out on them..."

Yes Tim, it was a very hard choice but these days I seem to listen to more solo stuff than bands or groups of which I've got reams and reams of. However given the choice of only one letter ehm....er.... nope, can't do it! Is suicide a viable option?

message 36: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9065 comments How about cycling through one letter per day? 😃

message 37: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments "How about cycling through one letter per day? 😃"

would not the tyre marks make them unreadable, especially if through a mucky puddle?

message 38: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Good idea Tim 😀