Flights of Fantasy discussion

Books & Discussions > What are you reading October 2017?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Just realized there's no October thread...

I fell a bit behind in my Discworld plans in September, so I'm currently reading The Fifth Elephant.

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments Hi folks! I've been quiet on here but I hope to be getting more vocal again. I'm currently (literally) listening to The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter on Audible. It's a lot of fun and it's making me realize I really dig Victorian era fantasy. Any recommendations? I've already read The Parasol Protectorate and loved it.

I'm also reading The Wise Man's Fear. Guys. I don't know what's wrong with me. I love the book so far. When I read it I enjoy it more than I enjoy most books. Why is it taking me so long to read it? My loan from the library ended so I loaned it again. When I wasn't able to loan it a third time, I asked my mom to loan it from her library. I'm still nowhere near done and the loan is up so I bought it on Kindle. I haven't been reading as much because I have so many hobbies and I also have less alone time these days. Any tips for finding motivation to read?

message 3: by Michelle Von (new)

Michelle Von  (catsandfantasy) | 123 comments I've been bouncing around between a lot of books lately, and finishing very few, but yesterday and today I've been reading Into the Shadows (Survivors: The Gathering Darkness #3) and La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust, #1).

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Jenny wrote: "I'm also reading The Wise Man's Fear. Guys. I don't know what's wrong with me. I love the book so far. When I read it I enjoy it more than I enjoy most books. Why is it taking me so long to read it?"

That book is HUGE...that's why, lol.

Sadly, I do not have any motivation for you - I'm in the midst of a slump myself. :-(

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm also reading The Wise Man's Fear. Guys. I don't know what's wrong with me. I love the book so far. When I read it I enjoy it more than I enjoy most books. Why is it taking me so l..."

Yes! It's been a long time since I've read a book that big. I think having it on my Kindle now will help because I won't be constantly aware of the size, ha ha.

message 6: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I've started Hyde, but I'm not very far in. Interesting, so far, though, the way that Hyde is presented, calling Jekyll "father" and whatnot.

message 7: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Wish I had some advice for you, Jen. But I'm mired in a slump of all slumps..

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I started reading Agent of Change and I'm about 21% in - but I'm not really interested thus far. It's pretty meh but it was free.

In some strange way, the writing reminds me of Andre Norton...which is strange.

message 9: by Merlot58 (new)

Merlot58 | 1 comments Finishing up Jeff Vandermeer's Southern Reach trilogy and halfway through the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch. Loving both of these series to bits. So much fun reading when you find books that are this good!

Vandermeer's writing is weird and leaves you to fill in so much, I get very vivid mental images of what is happening. Aaronovitch is just so clever with words and funny as hell. Got my child (a lapsed reader) back to reading with this series.

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments At p. 398, I'm almost half-way through the long but enjoyable Perdido Street Station. I wish I had more free time so I could zip through it!

message 11: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm about halfway through Hyde. I'm not really loving it, but I feel determined to finish it, for some reason... *le sigh*

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments Chris wrote: "Wish I had some advice for you, Jen. But I'm mired in a slump of all slumps.."

Oh no! I think I'm coming out of my slump now that I'm focusing on focusing on audiobooks. Speaking of which...

Today I finished The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter on Audible& I loved it. I actually spent a lot of time over the weekend listening to it. I'm hoping that a sequel is released sooner rather than later.

I also listened to A Rare Book of Cunning Device today because I downloaded it for free a while ago. It was okay, really just flavor. I loved the first four Peter Grant novels but I couldn't get into Foxglove Summer. I was listening to it on Audible so maybe I'll give it another go in print someday.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments Catching up on audio reads. Now into Valhalla Online, just finished Red Rising, Golden Son and Scythe. I did some rereads before that.

Oh and I read The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye.

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Catching up on audio reads. Now into Valhalla Online, just finished Red Rising, Golden Son and Scythe. I did some rereads before that..."

Hey stranger! Long time, no see!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments Yeah. I don't get on as much as I used to and after the surgery I wasn't on line at all for like 3 weeks. Then I only started checking Emails, LOL. Of course I'm supposed to have the other knee done in Jan so I'll vanish again for a while.

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Yeah. I don't get on as much as I used to and after the surgery I wasn't on line at all for like 3 weeks. Then I only started checking Emails, LOL. Of course I'm supposed to have the other knee don..."

Ouch! But I know your knees have been super painful so it's ouch for now but good feelings later?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments Hopefully.

message 18: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Finally finished 'Hyde'. I 2 starred it, mostly cause it was a good concept, but the writing didn't work for me. (I.e. Booooring)

But, then, i didn't love the original style, either, so...

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 63 comments This morning I read Adventure Time: Seeing Red. It was awesome. I love the graphic novels, every one I've read has felt just like watching an episode of the show. I hope that when the show ends this year they continue to create graphic novels.