Addicted to YA discussion

Miscellaneous > Needing opinions!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Knapp | 7 comments Hi friends! I'm working on a new writing project and I have a quick question I want to ask all of you... What do you think of twisted fairytale retellings? What is it that you like/dislike about them?
Any opinions help! ☺

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi :)
I personally love fairytale retellings, especially when they're done in a way that brings in a new, inventive aspect to the tale.
The only thing that I don't always enjoy about them is when the author tries too hard to adopt the 'whimsical' fairytale voice, but ends up sounding forced and pompous.

I hope that helped at all? Good luck with the project! :)

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Knapp | 7 comments Hi there! Thanks for answering! I totally understand what your saying and I fully agree!

message 4: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Furness | 2 comments I agree, if the characters are explored in a way that gives them new meaning to the reader...all the better.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Kloss (markkloss) | 68 comments Yep I agree with the above, retellings can be great, as long as they are inventive and make you see the story/characters in a new light.

message 6: by Kaya (new)

Kaya | 70 comments Retellings are some of my favorites! When an author takes a recognizable story but puts a unique spin on it I always love to read it! Personally though, I don't like it when it's too unique and the whole core of the story is lost underneath all the extra stuff so just balance it out that's my advice😊

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Knapp | 7 comments Thanks so much for all the opinions guys! I've just finished writing my twisted retelling of Peter Pan. It is my favorite fairy tale/children's story and I've put a fun YA spin on it! For all of you retellings fans, be on the lookout for it in the near future 😉

message 8: by KaitlinEmily (new)

KaitlinEmily Awesome! I absolutely LOVE fairy tale retellings, and I think I like them more when they have the base of the same story, but then they completely put their own spin on it! I'm sure you wrote an amazing story!