City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) City of Fallen Angels discussion

City of Fallen Angels

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (last edited Dec 31, 2017 11:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Grace City of Fallen Angels, the fourth novel in Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series, is a masterfully woven tapestry of action, betrayal, love, and heartbreak. I am obviously a fan of Clare's, as I am four books deep with no sign of slowing down. This particular book in the series is hauntingly beautiful because, while the wild situations and lives of the characters are far from our own, the personalities present in the book are so flawed and relatable. The main character, Clary, is just trying to make her relationship work in the face of constant, life-threatening danger. (Who among us hasn't experienced that, right?) Yes, that sounds far-fetched and maybe even a little bit silly, but her self-doubt and internal monologues are artfully captured by the author and tug at relatable feelings within the audience. Her best friend, Simon, is even more relatable. Slightly awkward and a big fan of self-deprecation, Simon is honestly one of the most relatable characters I have ever encountered.

Conversely, the hardest part about reading this novel is Clary’s boyfriend, Jace. He is a central character, and you just want to love him so badly it almost hurts. However, he is constantly self-destructive, uses a grating mask of his true character in an attempt to hold others at arm’s length, and is constantly at odds with Simon because he is jealous. Jace will give Clary the could shoulder for seemingly no reason other than that he is in a bad mood. He keeps secrets from her constantly and almost never truly lets her in, even when he is not lying to her. Finally, jealousy takes a whole new form in Jace. He gets moody and cranky when Clary seems interested in anyone else, and his emotional roller coaster is just a little too wild for my taste.

Overall, however, City of Fallen Angels is an entertaining read with a little bit of a futuristic feel in a modern setting, and I would recommend starting the series to anyone looking to dive into mythical dilemmas in today’s world (The first book is called City of Bones). Just remember, if you’re going to pick it up, you will most definitely have to be patient with Jace.

Vanna you mean, Jace?