Amazon exiles discussion

The holding pen > The holding pen

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Welcome to the holding pen. Don't mind the dogs: they're friendly really. And that man with the bucket of reddle is nothing to worry about.

If you want to start a thread but can't work out which folder it belongs in, just start it here and I'll move it once I work out what on earth you're talking about. I'll move threads to where I think most people would expect to find them, but of course our minds all work differently: what seems like a sensible place to me might seem ridiculous to someone else.

message 2: by RedJohn (new)

RedJohn | 213 comments Hi Gordon, don't hold me to this (:-)) but I'm posting it here not because it's apposite to this new thread but so it stands less chance of being lost elsewhere. Just to say many thanks on behalf of those who have not already said so, including me, for establishing our new home so quickly and efficiently. Very much appreciated. You have ensured that our 60+ (and counting) extended family can continue to enjoy what became a significant chunk of our day to day lives. Have a gilt-edged gratitude certificate. Yersorlriteder.
Now please release me. :-)

message 3: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments RedJohn wrote: "Yersorlriteder"

Much appreciated, RJ. You're released (on licence).

message 4: by Granny (new)

Granny | 93 comments Thank you Gordon and Suzy for welcoming the lost Snails into the Amazon exiles. We're not exclusively Potterheads, but the beginnings came from the HP&TDH hardcover discussion page which itself began prior to the book release in '07. We chat about books, films, families, trips, tea, Patti's crochet, Paul's stories (I hope to see them on Goodreads), MA's puppies, ponies, and grandchildren. All are welcome here, just as you have welcomed us. Thank you!

message 5: by Huck (last edited Oct 13, 2017 07:25AM) (new)

Huck Flynn | 277 comments May I just second (or perhaps it's third) those thanks to Gordon. Looking forward to dipping into the snazzy new threads.
As an avid reader it's a great forum and as a voracious fan of (quality) detective fiction I notice that many modern authors try to give their hero/heroine more fully rounded character or street cred by having them listen to music - and it often seems to be jazz (eg Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch) although Morse liked his Classical/Choral. Anyone else noticed this ?

message 6: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Absolutely ... Rebus springs to mind straightaway, Huck, and I found this interesting page about it on a site online a while back ...

https://www.ianrankin.net/a-vinyl-guy...

message 7: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments They also tried to round and develop Wycliffe's character far more, by frequently referring to and introducing clips of him (played by Jack Shepherd) either listening to or playing some rather random Jazz numbers when by himself on his Piano, in the TV series. I'm afraid though, that apart from watching just to get to see the simply stunning Cornish countryside and coast line, Wycliffe really didn't come across at all well to me on screen.

message 8: by Gordon (last edited Oct 13, 2017 08:31AM) (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Huck wrote: "as a voracious fan of (quality) detective fiction I notice that many modern authors try to give their hero/heroine more fully rounded character or street cred by having them listen to music - and it often seems to be jazz"

To what extent do you think this is influenced by film noir and fifties/sixties detective movies? Detective (and spy) novels seem to be particularly film-ic in style, and I'd have thought writers would have movie scenes in their heads while writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-RSv...

message 9: by Huck (last edited Oct 13, 2017 09:20AM) (new)

Huck Flynn | 277 comments I think jazz is mood music (to over simplify) and largely instrumental so it works well in film/TV as a background - in books as an indicator of the detective's mood. But it is also associated with the night, smoky dark places, perhaps something illicit or forbidden ? Or maybe I'm starting to ramble or improvise here ?

message 10: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Huck wrote: "maybe I'm starting to ramble or improvise here ?"

Sounds appropriate for a discussion of jazz.

message 11: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Though it's not a detective series, one of the things I like about Supernatural is it's use of rock music in the programme and episode titles. Also spotting the aliases they use on fake badges though hardly anybody ever challenges them or seems to connect the dots. Two FBI agents named Page and Plant? Yeah, likely story, pull the other one chaps!

message 12: by Granny (new)

Granny | 93 comments Huck wrote: "May I just second (or perhaps it's third) those thanks to Gordon. Looking forward to dipping into the snazzy new threads.
As an avid reader it's a great forum and as a voracious fan of (quality) de..."

Morse and his opera...I really enjoy the show but opera is not my favorite type of music. The soundtrack to Rebus is fun, and a good suspenseful tune adds another level of enjoyment.

message 13: by Val (new)

Val H. | 14883 comments I love the Morse (and Lewis) soundtracks. "The Magic of Morse" is one of my go-to albums. I think Barrington Pheloung has impeccable taste and his original music, plus the recordings used in the series adds immense charm. It's also a chance to hear Scottish soprano Janis Kelly who doesn't seem to have a heap of recordings available.

I've often noticed how the musical tastes of cops/detectives are frequently highlighted. DCI Banks is another one - although I can't remember the rather esoteric artist whose album he receives as a gift.

message 14: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Val - the ‘Lewis’ theme always reminds me of Al Jolson’s (I found my love in) Avalon. I’m not an opera lover but I do like a lot of the Morse music. I saw Janis Kelly in Rufus’s ‘Prima Donna’, lovely voice. Do you know Rebecca Bottone? She was marvellous too. Pity about the music!

message 15: by Val (new)

Val H. | 14883 comments Lez - I'll have to re-listen to the Lewis theme. I know "Avalon" but it's never struck me before. I knew Janis Kelly worked with Rufus, but I don't know Rebecca Bottone.

message 16: by Huck (new)

Huck Flynn | 277 comments John Harvey's detective Charlie Resnick also listens to jazz. I can see where the ability to analyse the strands in classical music might indicate the ability to understand the criminal mind (eg Sherlock Holmes's complex cases) - similarly the multi-part harmonies of Morses choral music but jazz ? Maybe it allows the detective to follow complicated dead ends or solve illogical puzzles ?

message 17: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments I found this quite fascinating ... http://pursuitmag.com/crime-jazz/

message 18: by Huck (new)

Huck Flynn | 277 comments I'm also reminded of the noir lyrics and jazz music of Tom Waits - particularly on the Small Change, Foreign Affairs and Blue Valentine albums. Atmospheric stuff.

message 19: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Mar 15, 2018 11:00AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5xHH...

I only just came across the Jesse Stone movies this last Christmas when they suddenly started showing them on the '5USA' Channel - and they are currently being repeated (though rather oddly out of being in any particular order) every morning between 11.25am - 1.10pm.

The Soundtrack is both atmospheric and mesmerising when it is paired up with such stunningly beautiful, although often deliberately quite bleak, landscape shots of areas around the fictitious town of Paradise, Massachusetts - which are actually all filmed on location in Nova Scotia.

Only one more day tomorrow before this current schedule of repeats is going to end - and I'm really going to miss settling down every morning just so as to watch them all even though I've seen them all at least twice now ;o>

message 20: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments I've moved a few threads out of the holding pen. The discussion of voting systems is now a "sticky" in the voting threads folder (i.e. it will always appear first in the list. Some other random discussion threads have moved to the trackless wastes.

Hope this is okay with everyone.

message 21: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Sounds absolutely spot-on to me, Gordon - and thank you for continuing to keep this wonderful Forum in such excellent shape ... x x x ;o>

message 22: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5672 comments Gordon wrote: "I've moved a few threads out of the holding pen. The discussion of voting systems is now a "sticky" in the voting threads folder (i.e. it will always appear first in the list. Some other random dis..."

Hi Gordon, thanks for moving it. It was intended as a general ideas thread, but currently the issue at the moment is on the music voting games, but that can change at any time.

message 23: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Gordon,
I really fancy a change from Gottschalk & Miles Davis !

message 24: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments You can't be serious!

Sorry, I won't have any time free until Sunday. I might be able to change things then.

I'm a bit fed up with chocolate Brazils, to be honest, but don't tell Suzy...

message 25: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Gordon wrote: "You can't be serious!

Sorry, I won't have any time free until Sunday. I might be able to change things then.

I'm a bit fed up with chocolate Brazils, to be honest, but don't tell Suzy..."

So am I. As I said, I keep thinking they’re dog-poo.

message 26: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments I'm a bit fed-up with seeing MY secret stash of Milk Chocolate Brazils on Group Forum display as well ... everyone keeps on helping themselves and so I have to keep on buying more and more of them! ;oO

message 27: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Lez wrote: "So am I. As I said, I keep thinking they’re dog-poo"

... "Should have gone to Specsavers" ... (*giggles*) ;o>

message 28: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments How about some Rene Magritte?
Suggestions
1. Golconda
2. Memory Of A Journey
3.La Corde Sensible

Feel free to make your own

message 29: by TwoddleBungler (last edited Jun 10, 2018 06:36AM) (new)

TwoddleBungler | 4920 comments Hi Gordon
Could we have a new 'Technology' folder please?
Personally I now have an Amazon Firestick, Amazon Alexa (including home automation) and I regularly listen to Audible books rather than read print.

I can think of a number of different topics that could come under the heading 'Technology', e.g.
1. Alexa and other home assistants
2. Fire TV
3. Q and A - Here people can ask how to connect their technology and get it to work or other questions such as "How do I type French, Spanish and German accents on my keyboard?"
4. Purchasing from Amazon
etc.

Thanks

message 30: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments TwoddleBungler wrote: "Hi Gordon
Could we have a new 'Technology' folder please?
Personally I now have an Amazon Firestick, Amazon Alexa (including home automation) and I regularly listen to Audible books rather than rea..."

I was thinking of that too, I have several queries and would probably need a thread to myself! You could call it, ‘Try switching it off and on again!’

message 31: by Grizzlygrump (new)

Grizzlygrump | 5021 comments Or 'Reboot does not mean kick it!' :)

message 32: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Good one Grizzle 😁!

message 33: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Our local tech runs course for learning about computers at no charge, one of those thing I keep promising to get round to but never do.

message 34: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Does anybody else use a kindle fire? If so, do they have trouble when attempting to access music from the search function? Sometimes it works smoothly and instantly but other times it just does not connect no matter how many times I reboot even if I have an excellent signal , which is very frustrating to say the least. My music works fine as do games, books, video and apps.

message 35: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments TwoddleBungler wrote: "Hi Gordon
Could we have a new 'Technology' folder please?"

TB - I've renamed the TV, radio, cinema, books folder to TV, radio, cinema, books & tech as a temporary measure. See how much traffic there is before we have a separate folder.

message 36: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6572 comments "Our local tech runs course for learning about computers at no charge"

naw ah don't, 'n' if ah did it widnae be free! :)

message 37: by Martin (last edited Jun 12, 2018 10:22AM) (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments LOL!!

The last time our Tech got his Woodbines out a picture of Stanley Matthews dropped on the floor!

message 38: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6572 comments it was rumoured i could unwrap the packet without taking it out of my pocket! pah! i could also light it and smoke it without them leaving my pocket!

message 39: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments I've heard the definition of a Scotsman as someone who can peel an orange in his coat pocket while wearing boxing gloves.

message 40: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments ! ;o>

message 41: by Grizzlygrump (new)

Grizzlygrump | 5021 comments Gordon wrote: "I've heard the definition of a Scotsman as someone who can peel an orange in his coat pocket while wearing boxing gloves."

I'll bet it wasn't with one of those 'easy peelers'!!

(bloody things must have been named by someone with a very twisted sense of humour!)

message 42: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Jun 13, 2018 06:46AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments These are great for cutting your Hand open - I did twice before I finally learnt my lesson, binned ours, and went back to doing it my way again ;o> ...

message 43: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments As I mentioned on ‘Niggles’

After 2 (luckily minor) accidents, I find all ring-pulls potentially lethal so I turn the can upside-down and use an ordinary tin-opener. Sardine tins are impossible and corned- beef ones also deadly.

message 44: by Martin (last edited Jun 13, 2018 06:49AM) (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments There is absolutely no truth to the rumour that copper wire was invented in the last century by two Scotsmen fighting over a half penny. I do feel it should be known that if the Scots are frugal then the good people of Kettering make them look like a bunch of spendthrifts. As one pundit asserted "They're as tight as a gnat's chuff!"

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 600 comments I had relations living in Kettering when I was young. A visit to Kettering meant having Wicksteed Park accessible through a gate in the back garden. Sheer heaven!

message 46: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments Yes Gingerlily, a very popular day out for many years ago, I can remember the car park being packed with coaches and big queues everywhere. Sadly these days it always looks deserted for the most part, even at Easter and through the school holidays, with few visitors whenever I pass by on the bus going way to and from work. Believe it or not the old train ride is still going with the same engines, no idea how old they must be now, I'm in my 60's and I'm fairly sure they are quite a bit older than that. Some of the other attractions are gone, some new additions have been added, I doubt it looks quite as you remember it these days.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 600 comments I'm in my 50's and it's a very long time since I was there. I remember what looked to me like the tallest slides in the world, falling in the boating lake and such other delights :) I'm sure I wouldn't recognise it now...

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 600 comments Gordon wrote: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLAi..."

Poor James, not the most successful trip!

I did vaguely recognise some of it.