What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Cold War spy novel - Young Soviet politico whose wife pressures him to success

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Skaggs | 3 comments I picked up this novel on my honeymoon, left it unfinished at the book exchange, and can't figure it out! Google is no help.

I recall this book having a red or reddish-orange cover. It was either published or set in the 1980s. The protagonist is a young Soviet politico / intelligence officer who has ambitions but feels trapped by his wife's pressure to succeed, which is a reflection of her father's lack of being impressed with our protagonist. The wife has high material needs; I recall her father purchased a record player, stereo, or something like that, and the protagonist was upset at this gift of material wealth that he couldn't provide himself. I seem to recall also he was fairly close to high-level political intrigue (which doesn't narrow things down much in this genre, I know). PLEASE HELP!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Doesn't quite fit, as this book seems more literary fiction than spy fiction, but The Dream Life of Sukhanov The Dream Life of Sukhanov by Olga Grushin ?

How many years ago did you read this book?

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Skaggs | 3 comments This was 2011, and the book was rather old at the time. This one seems rather high lit - what I read was definitely pulp spy stuff!

message 4: by Kris (last edited Oct 14, 2017 01:47PM) (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Michael, does the main character (and his wife) travel to different countries?

What kind of missions is he assigned? Is he a skilled fighter or assassin?

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Skaggs | 3 comments No missions, as far as I read - his work was all in the Kremlin, mostly observing high level meetings.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38146 comments Mod
Michael, are you still looking for this or did you find it?