Clean Reads for Mormon Teenagers discussion

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Jayda | 2300 comments Mod
This is where, if you feel the want or need, you can type up your testimony and post it for others to read. You don't have to make it personal, but if you want you can. Do it however you like. I'd bear my testimony right now, but I have to go do chores in a minute! When I have the time, I'll type it up :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey guess what! I couldn't find a better topic to post this so I thought this one would fit. Yesterday I woke up with a bad cold, and so that night I had my dad give me a father's blessing to help me know how to treat it, and that night I said a strong prayer and I woke up WAY better! My throat is still kinda scratchy but other than that! It's awesome!

message 3: by a N d i E {o,o} (last edited May 23, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

a N d i E {o,o}  (thelolaizer) I have a true testimony of prayer. A little while back I lost something, and I couldn't find it anywhere and it was REALLY important!!! Well, I said tons and tons of prayers, but nothing happened. Well on the day of my birthday, as I was taking back my book-end to put in a new book I just got, there was what was missing right behind it. It was like a little Birthday miracle!! So I know that the lord will answer our prayers even if it takes a while, he will always give us an answer. :)

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 365 comments Amy wrote: "I have a true testimony of prayer. A little while back I lost something, and I couldn't find it anywhere and it was REALLY important!!! Well, I said tons and tons of prayers, but nothing happened. ..."

wow this whole last week ive been losing stuff or something wouldnt be working and i would pray and after awhile it would happen its been amazing!

message 5: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Once when me and my younger brother were kids, our parents were freaking out because our bees (yeah i know its crazy, we have bee's and we harvest honey from them.) were swarming (which means they were leaving the hive and going somewhere else) The air was thick with the bee's. My parents were outside trying to figure out what to do. I was a little scared, after all i was only a kid, my parents cared a lot about our bee's and had put a lot of time into them. I was sitting by the window looking out at them when my brother came over and said simply "Lets say a prayer" we got on our knees and My brother said a simple prayer, but i could tell how much faith he had as he said it. It was as if he knew heavenly father was their just waiting for him to give him a call.
It was like a nothing i had ever seen. as soon as he ended the prayer we looked outside the window. A strong wind started to blow and the bee's who were flying around were suddenly blown back toward the hive!!! Eventually they all went back in! I still remembered how shocked me and my parents were.
To this day i still remember this. As well as being beneficial to my parents, it was a strong lesson to me that heavenly father is their, and he is just waiting for us to give him a call.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

wow

message 7: by cat (last edited Sep 29, 2011 03:16PM) (new)

cat (catalleecat) | 20 comments Right now i am going through a hard time me and my best friend ,for 8 years, just went through a really hard time. we still wanted to be friends but we couldnt and it is complicated so we ended it. i felt terible and even though it hurt so much, when i prayed i felt that i had done the right thing. i dont know how it is going to turn out but i know that i did the right thing. i am so thankful the Heavenly Father answers our prayers if he didnt i would be so lost

message 8: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 125 comments Okay, so I'm going to ramble for a little bit. And I'll put it in a spoiler, so you can just skip over it, if you choose.

(view spoiler)

I don't know why I'm posting this here. I just had a feeling that I needed to. Maybe somebody will benefit from this post.

message 9: by Lyndsey (last edited Sep 29, 2011 04:37PM) (new)

Lyndsey cat (alleecat) wrote: "Right now i am going through a hard time me and my best friend ,for 8 years, just went through a really hard time. we still wanted to be friends but we couldnt and it is complicated so we ended it...."

Awww, im sorry. I know how you feel.
For me my best friend lived in another state for 6 or 7 years. We talked everyday, wrote emails, and letters, Skype, text-ed, sent pictures to each other, and occasionally, maybe 1 every year she would come down to visit her grandparents which lived close to me and i would get to see her again. only recently our friend ship has stopped. for a while i spent a lot of time by my self, i didnt really have any other friends who i could go to. (I still dont but i feel better about it now.) Once my mom walked into my room and found me clutching a picture of my 2 best friends and crying. She was shocked because i 'never' cry.
What i have learned though is heavenly father sends people into our lives for a certain reason. When that purpose is done we need to let go of them. i personally know how hard it is, but we can grow from the experience and become stronger and more able to help other people.
cat-alleecat i 'really' hope you will find out what heavenly father wanted for you. Im glad you listened to your heart and heavenly father, thank you so much for sharing that. i really needed it.

message 10: by Lyndsey (last edited Sep 29, 2011 05:00PM) (new)

Lyndsey Thalia wrote: "Okay, so I'm going to ramble for a little bit. And I'll put it in a spoiler, so you can just skip over it, if you choose.

So, I've been...well, it's been complicated. Despite Personal Progress and..."

YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!!!!!! Thalia i so wish i could just hug you right now! Don't give up!!! Heavenly Father loves you to death!! YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!! He chose you for this time because he knew you could handle it!! You're strong! Please dont give up!! Someday or even now you might be able to help girls going through the same things. Don't ever think that you aren't worth it BECAUSE YOU ARE!!!!!! It doesn't matter what other people think about you, it matters more about what you think of your self. If you don't have any friends maybe its because THEY aren't good enough for YOU!! I know how it feels to be alone. I know the hurt it can bring but you can't give in and be done. You still need to prove you're better than them! Also my advice would be to get help. You may not think you need it but it will help. If you can't talk to your family, talk to your Bishop, YW leaders or anyone. You really need to do this. No one wants you gone. You are special and guess what. In the whole world there is only one YOU. If you end your life, who will be you?? No one but you can. Be your own kind of beautiful, and don't pay attention to what those other girls think because they aren't the ones you're trying to impress are they?
I'm sorry if my long lecture has been boring, but ""PLEASE"" never think that you aren't worth it, that you aren't special.

message 11: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 125 comments Hun, don't worry. I'm not going anywhere. I've been hurt and heavily affected by selfish decisions, and I do believe suicide is a very selfish choice. I know that my one friend who does care would miss me so much, and so would my family (who I love to pieces, and I know they love me); so would anybody who even knew me. I wouldn't want to leave those hundreds of people, including acquantancies, family, teachers...wondering why. When I go back to my Heavenly Father, I want to be worthy of it. I don't want to prove my own worthlessness by destroying my chance at living with Him again. I don't know if those who commit suicide can be in the Celestial Kingdom. I definitely don't want to find out.

I thank you for your concern. My mom was a counselor for a loooong time, and I can tell her anything. She knows exactly how I feel, and the love from my parents alone keeps me hanging on. Not to mention all the support from beautiful people like you. I'll be around for a looooong long time, I hope! I already know of a lovely girl here on GR who's struggling with a similar situation, and I know I'll be able to help her. I know there's a purpose. In my heart, I know I'm special and beautiful and all that. But I haven't been able to convince my mind of it quite yet. Atelophobia is a struggle; you can't wake up one day and have it just be gone. But I'm working towards it, you know? I don't want her to win.

message 12: by Zakari (new)

Zakari | 122 comments Wow, you guys are all so awesome. =) I also have a testimony of prayer.

My mother has always yearned to be close to her family, but it was never truly possible for her. She is from Hong Kong, half the world away. It hurts her to be so far from them, especially when she learns of their hardships. One of the harder parts was when my grandfather died in December. She didn't seem to care at all, but I knew that deep down she did. Her family invited her to his funeral, but we didn't have to money to let her go. But hey! Some prayers really helped because all of a sudden, her family members decided to pool everything together to give her a chance to go. =) And she did. ^^
Then, I was having a really tough time with the idea of the Celestial Kingdom and everything else because my grandfather wasn't a member. I wanted so badly for him to be able to live in Heavenly Father's presence, so... I prayed and I prayed and I prayed. I knew he didn't live anything near a righteous life, but as I prayed, I was given an assurance to what I already knew: That our Heavenly Father is a wonderful, merciful being. I knew that my grandfather was going to be all right.
But then again, a few months later, we learned that my mother's cousin had breast cancer. My mom was really close to that cousin, and still is. She was having a hard time with the chemotherapy, when all of a sudden, she started to complain about a pain in her back. The doctors looked into it... and found that the pain was, in fact, the cancer settling into her bones. At this point, there was practically nothing the doctors could do. She was going to die. And so, every night, I've prayed and prayed and prayed (again) for her. Begging the Lord to let her live her life. I don't know how it's going, but I continue to pray, and it gives me comfort.
So I just want to say... that even if it seems that hope is lost, prayer will give you the comfort you need. I hope this helps to anyone who is listening. =*)

message 13: by Lyndsey (last edited Sep 29, 2011 05:30PM) (new)

Lyndsey Thalia wrote: "Hun, don't worry. I'm not going anywhere. I've been hurt and heavily affected by selfish decisions, and I do believe suicide is a very selfish choice. I know that my one friend who does care would ..."

Wow, you almost made me cry. Your testimony is so powerful, i have goose bumps.
You will be worthy, the mental problems are always the hardest.
and thank you! that means a lot to me!
Ive been struggling with something for over 5 years. Sometimes i just want to scream, WHY? Why would Heavenly Father give this to me? why me out of all the world?? Sometimes i just want to quit. I wonder why the world is so black. Nothing but Black. My favorite color is black but because to me, it feels safe. But the black i see in the world is cruel, and ugly. Its full of danger and evil. I have a hard time forgiving my self of things and that just loads up my pile even more. I dont feel strong anymore, and i cant feel comfortable with my self. I wonder how ill ever get to the Celestial kingdom. The path is so long and its so hard. It seems like everyone wants to make it harder for me.
Just recently after beginning cemenary i have been able to talk to my dad about some of my problems on the ride. I feel so much better, im still trying to tell him things that i have been fighting in my heart for those 5 years. A lot of it i found out was Hormones, (UGG) but everything else im starting to feel better in.
Im starting to under stand that heavenly father wasnt trying to drive me insane, make me melt into a puddle of nothing, or kill me. He was trying to help. I think i will grow strong from this, and im trying every day to become better. Hevenly father loves us so much. Sometimes we dont under stand why this is happening, but we will know in the end. Im hoping i will someday. My grandfathers last request was "no empty chairs" it basically means make it to the celestial kingdom. Dont mess it up by ruining your life. He is waiting for me with everyone else. And heavenly father is too.

message 14: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Zakari wrote: "Wow, you guys are all so awesome. =) I also have a testimony of prayer.

My mother has always yearned to be close to her family, but it was never truly possible for her. She is from Hong Kong, half..."

I really hope your mom's cousin will be alright. Ill add some prayers to yours. My grandfather also past away, my family was really close.
Thank you Zakari, what you said is really inspiring.

message 15: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 125 comments I'm watching General Conference right now, and the morning session is just ending.

My only prayer was for there to be a talk on self-worth. To feel that little bit of comfort and to have someone say something that meant everything to me.

President Uchtdorf did that.

And I'm just left...speechless.

message 16: by Hannah (last edited Oct 01, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

Hannah | 631 comments He had a wonderful talk. It was amazing. I agree. He always has wonderful talks. It was spectacular. I really felt the Spirit

message 17: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

His talks, Elder Holland's talks, and President Monson's talks are usually the ones that impact me the most. President Uchtdorf's was fantastic :)

message 18: by Lyndsey (last edited Oct 04, 2011 03:25PM) (new)

Lyndsey sometimes It seems as if every talk is meant for me!!!! Im having so many questions answered!!! OH!!
i agree Thalia, im in shock....

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 631 comments Jayda I agree! They are my favorite speakers usually. Their talks are just amazing President Uchtdorf's talks are some of my favorite. They have such powerful messages. Elder Holland. Oh my. You can just feel the spirit when he speaks. I remember his talk on the testiment of the Book of Mormon. Powerful. I love President Monson as well. He isn't as serious as Elder Holland, but he has this spirit in his talks. It's just amazing to think he's the Prophet. His talks are really amazing.

I think all talks are for everyone. :D It's like I learn something from everyone. Some more than others. :D

message 20: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 125 comments Lyndsey wrote: "Thalia wrote: "Hun, don't worry. I'm not going anywhere. I've been hurt and heavily affected by selfish decisions, and I do believe suicide is a very selfish choice. I know that my one friend who d..."

I didn't even see your post! So sorry Lyndsey!

Anyway, how old are you? Life definitely sucks sometimes; that much I'm aware of. The first time I was feeling really down of life (I was probably thirteen or fourteen), I had my birthday interview with my bishop. And out of nowhere he said something about Heavenly Father knowing who we are, exactly, and our trials, and that nothing stops His love for us, not even depression.

I hadn't told anybody in the world that I was feeling depressed, and I think it was at that moment that I really understood that God knows who we are, and loves us individually, and that he won't five us anything we can't handle.

message 21: by Lyndsey (last edited Oct 03, 2011 08:11PM) (new)

Lyndsey Hannah wrote: "Jayda I agree! They are my favorite speakers usually. Their talks are just amazing President Uchtdorf's talks are some of my favorite. They have such powerful messages. Elder Holland. Oh my. You ca..."

I know, sorry if that came out wrong! i was just saying that some of them were very personal to me and hit me hard. They were meant for everyone but also for us each individually. The speakers were really inspired, and i felt the spirit strong in me and in others too. Im so glad we have a living prophet in these times.

message 22: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Thalia wrote: "Lyndsey wrote: "Thalia wrote: "Hun, don't worry. I'm not going anywhere. I've been hurt and heavily affected by selfish decisions, and I do believe suicide is a very selfish choice. I know that my ..."

No problem!

im around 14-16

Yeah, it does sometimes.
I'm glad. It seems as if there are 2 people inside of me. One knows everything will be alright, and one thinks the world is ending.

message 23: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (last edited Oct 14, 2011 08:13AM) (new)

Hey guys, if you wouldn't mind moving this conversation to off-topic (or a different thread about friends, if anyone wants me to make one, etc) that'd be great. This thread if purely meant for testimonies and we've veered quite off topic :) Once I know you guys have seen this I'll be deleting all of the off-topic posts.

message 24: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Hey, I'll go ahead and start a whole new thread. I have a new idea for the group :) It may take a bit, but you'll see it when it's up!

message 25: by Zakari (new)

Zakari | 122 comments I just found out that my mother's cousin (earlier mentioned) passed away yesterday. Now, my first thought was, Oh, there goes my whole testimony about prayer. But then I thought about it. My mother told me that she had been in a lot of pain, that it hurt for her every day. And I realized that for some people, it's better to let this life go. Another thing I thought of was that when I prayed for Mary to be okay, I wanted for her to not have to suffer any more. Heavenly Father took that part of my prayer and kind of answered it. So, be this a slightly changed testimony to you all: Even if it seems like your prayers didn't do a thing, that God didn't listen, He did. It may not seem like it at first, but if you keep a positive attitude, it will always be okay. Take Job, for example. =)

My mom also told me that throughout the whole experience, her cousin had been very optimistic. She had been planning what to do after she got out of the hospital, but... she never left.

message 26: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 125 comments I feel like I only post here when things are too heavy to handle, and I really apologize for that.

So I'm putting it in spoilers again, because it IS heavy, and it's just been awful and scary and terrible.

(view spoiler)

Sunday was testimony meeting, but after hearing one of her much closer friends speak, I couldn't bear to share my own testimony. I was crying too much to do it.

Sometimes we lose people we love. Sometimes they choose to be lost. But...God doens't love them any less because of it. That's my testimony.

message 27: by Rashae (new)

Rashae Very true. Thanks for sharing.

message 28: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments Thalia wrote: "I feel like I only post here when things are too heavy to handle, and I really apologize for that.

So I'm putting it in spoilers again, because it IS heavy, and it's just been awful and scary and ..."

Wow. I'm sorry you had to go through something so awful. But I have also learned (as you said you have) there is something good you can take from every situation, something to be learned. It can be really hard on this earth because we all have agency and others decisions can heavily affect us. But I also know (as is quoted often) that there was great joy in heaven as we learned of the opportunity to come here, to this earth, and to choose to make it back to heavenly father and be loyal to him, throughout our life.
The stark opposites of awfulness and joy remind me of the scripture that says there will be opposition in all things, and there is no doubt in my mind that there is. While reading your testimony I really felt the spirit and I just wanted to let you know that.

Also, in many situations it is good to remember that one person and God is a majority, no matter how many are against you or how hopeless it may seem. We know who wins in the end we just have to choose which side to battle on, and endure through it all. Because satan knows us so well he knows what situations will be the hardest for each of us to endure and works hard to break us, but we have to try hard to be strong, even in those moments where we are weakest. Ether 12:27 "I give unto men weakness that they may be humble... for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them" I'm nowhere close to perfect and I include myself as one needing to be reminded these things on a daily basis. I'm not trying to preach and I hope it dosn't come accross that way, I just hope that these same words that have helped me in times when I have not been as strong as I could, and should, have been might uplift some of you in a small way too. ( :

After reading about the testimony you gained about suicide I do kind of have a question though. I'm wondering if the general authorities have ever talked about suicide before and if they have what the church doctrine is about it. Does anyone know about that? I don't remember hearing suicide addressed by the church before...

message 29: by Julia (new)

Julia | 109 comments So, I just wanted to share my experience and my testimony for father/ Priesthood blessings. Two summers ago for ward conference my ward was going to stay on a boat house on the lake. The night before we left I got sick and my mom told me she didn't want me to go. It was just a cold so I convinced her to let me go. In the morning I kept getting a prompting that I should ask my dad to give me a blessing. I did, and in the blessing he told me that I would make wise decisions and come home safely. While at youth conference I jumped off one of the boats into the water, while I was in the water the boat floating on top of me without me knowing. I was losing breath so I was swimming up pretty quickly when all of the sudden I hit my head incredibly hard against the bottom of the boat. My vision started getting blurry and I was really close to unconsciousness. I started hyperventilating in the water so my lungs were filling up with water pretty quickly. I was pretty positive I was going to die and I started saying a prayer in my head, I started telling God that I didn't want to die and I started begging him to let me live. I opened my eyes and all I could see was the gross dark,green murkiness of the lake surrounding me. All the sudden I was breathing air, I don't know how I reached the top of the water, all I know is there were angels in that lake that day helping me swim. I know that I was prompted by the Holy Ghost to get a blessing from my father, and I know that if I wouldn't have listened to those prompting given to me I would not be here today. I am so grateful to know that my Heavenly Father hears my prayers!

message 30: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Damiangirl) | 134 comments Julia wrote: "So, I just wanted to share my experience and my testimony for father/ Priesthood blessings. Two summers ago for ward conference my ward was going to stay on a boat house on the lake. The night befo..."

Wow Julia, that is incredible. I got chills reading it. That is a great experience to add to your testimony. Thank you for sharing, and i am glad you are here today :)

message 31: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 125 comments Lindsey, I don't believe the church authorities have ever really mentioned it before. I know we don't believe suicide is an unforgiveable sin and whoever commits it will go straight to Hell (like, I think, Catholics believe)--I asked my laurel leader about this once, about a year ago. She said it's not unforgiveable, and I don't believe Heavenly Father loves His children who feel the need to give up anymore than He loves anybody else. Really, I think when she got up there, He probably gave her a hug. I wonder if He gave her a chance to go back, to be saved. But she's safe now; safer than she'd be here, and I'm sure she's happy. And she's with Him. I know she is.

Thanks, Lindsey. Really. <3

message 32: by Zakari (new)

Zakari | 122 comments To Lindsey -- Actually, there is. One of the speakers at my Ward Conference talked about it. Here: http://www.lds.org/ensign/1987/10/sui...

Here are the best excerpts:
...Those statements on their own might seem to leave no room for hope. However, although they stress the seriousness of suicide, the statements do not mention the final destination of those who take their own lives ... “Suicide consists in the voluntary and intentional taking of one’s own life, particularly where the person involved is accountable and has a sound mind. … Persons subject to great stresses may lose control of themselves and become mentally clouded to the point that they are no longer accountable for their acts. Such are not to be condemned for taking their own lives. It should also be remembered that judgment is the Lord’s; he knows the thoughts, intents, and abilities of men; and he in his infinite wisdom will make all things right in due course.” ... Obviously, we do not know the full circumstances surrounding every suicide. Only the Lord knows all the details, and he it is who will judge our actions here on earth.

message 33: by Jayda, Future NYT Bestseller! © (new)

Julia wrote: "So, I just wanted to share my experience and my testimony for father/ Priesthood blessings. Two summers ago for ward conference my ward was going to stay on a boat house on the lake. The night befo..."

Wow. That is one amazing testimony!

message 34: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 19, 2012 10:41AM) (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments Thalia-

Your welcome! ( :

I knew it wasn't an unforgivable sin (the scriptures say the only unforgivable sin is denying the Holy Ghost, I think) and no matter what we do, or how we act, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will never love us any less, just like you said. But I do know that sometimes, even though they will never stop loving us, it is for necessary us (the children of God) to suffer from wrong decisions that we make. I am not saying that I think in the situation you described that anyone did anything wrong, I just wanted to learn about church doctrine on the issue.

Thanks Zakari for posting that article, it really cleared up the issue for me. It makes sense that we aren't responsible for our actions when our minds are "mentally clouded" and only Heavenly Father knows when that is, and each individual's heart.

message 35: by Lindsey (last edited Mar 19, 2012 11:02AM) (new)

Lindsey | 774 comments Julia wrote: "So, I just wanted to share my experience and my testimony for father/ Priesthood blessings. Two summers ago for ward conference my ward was going to stay on a boat house on the lake. The night befo..."

That really is amazing. I have my own testimony of father's blessings as well, but they are more from spiritual growth that they have helped me with, and not as much the physical.

Your story also reminds me of the testimony I have of each person's individual mission on this earth. What a great strengthening experience!

message 36: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Damiangirl) | 134 comments I just wanted to share my testimony of obedience with everyone. I know for myself that when we follor our parents' commandments or the Lord's, that blessings will be poured out upon us. I recently had an experience where I severely broke my mom's trust. I didnt do anything bad - i just broke one of her general rules that she has had for a long time. I didnt know why i broke this rule, and why i kept doing it. I kept making excuses for myself, saying "This is a dumb rule" or "I dont see why we have this rule, its not even important". But eventually, i was found out, and my mom wasnt happy. I was surprised when she didnt yell or scream at me, she was just sad. She was disappointed. Thats what made me the most upset, that i had broke her trust. And by doing this, I had broken my Father in Heaven's trust, and gona against His direction. I believe that Heavenly Father guides and directs our parents to guide and direct us; when we go against our parents, we are also defying Heavenly Father. My testimony has grown stronger from this experience. Its not anything grand or soo spectacular, but i realize now that obedience brings us lots of blessings in this life. When we obey, the Lord is bound. I am grateful for this experience, and know that everything happens for a reason. This one strengthened my love for this gospel and made me want to share it. :)