Astrophysics for People in a Hurry Astrophysics for People in a Hurry discussion

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evan (new)

Evan Dorian Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s book Astrophysics for People in a Hurry is intended to serve as a layman’s textbook for astrophysics. Tyson is consistently concise with his explanations, which he provides in a natural, conversational tone that simplifies the reader’s experience while effectively educating the reader on basic astrophysical concepts. I chose this book after having read Death by Black Hole for summer reading because I thoroughly enjoyed Tyson’s tone, wit, and professorial aura. I tend to retain information that is presented with a humorous twist, so Tyson’s dry sense of humor kept me engaged and entertained. Tyson’s ability to explain complicated concepts by putting them in simple and relatable terms was effective and enjoyable. This book may not quite have measured up to Death by Black Hole in terms of overall enjoyment, but I truly love reading conversational literature, and this book was a fantastic option for free reading. I would of course recommend it, especially if you are the type of reader who enjoys when the author breaks the fourth wall and communicates on what feels like a personal level. I will warn you, if you don’t like authors to affect the way in which you write, don’t read Tyson – I can hear his tone in things I’ve written since reading him for the first time, but I don’t mind it at all.

message 2: by Bennett (new)

Bennett "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" is a becalming, intravenous drip of liquid Zen that flows to the mind, thru the heart and lights the soul. It's a piece of music: de Grasse Tyson writes and jazz funk, or some kind of music w/a smooth bass line, plays. It's that reassuring, because, truth is, the universe is an unstable place. Fav thought he blows past the mind's ear: Gravity collapses matter in all directions. See what I mean? Just makes you want to curl up into a ball.

Utsav Vejani "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" is not only for people in a hurry.