Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Need Book Recommendations > Darker UF or PNR.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dyer (solsticesinger) | 6 comments I love books by Yasmine Galenorn, Faith Hunter, Larissa Ione, J.R. Ward, Nalini Singh, and The Others by Anne Bishop. I’m looking for similar books with little to no fluff. Long series are my favorite, but any length will do. I’m eager to see what recommendations you all might have.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 15 comments Thea Harrison, Ilona Andrews, Rebecca Zanetti, Jeannine Frost, Christine Warren (in that order, lol) - all have long series and are much like Nalini Singh as writers.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dyer (solsticesinger) | 6 comments Thanks so much for the suggestions.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 15 comments Report back and let us know what you try and if you like it!

message 5: by Amyiw (last edited Oct 16, 2017 01:44PM) (new)

Amyiw | 175 comments Immortal After Dark, Kresley Cole PNR- compared to Larissa Ione and vs versa
A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark #2) by Kresley Cole , I liked the next book better. First is a little over bearing. Adult sex
Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs UF, compared to Ilona Andrews and the Others, Ann Bishop. Adult but very little, if any sex in one or two books
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

I like all the suggestions of Sarah above except Zanetti but I've only read one of her books. My order would be
Ilona Andrews; Jeannine Frost, Thea Harrison, Christine Warren.
First books of the series I've like from them too
Jeannine Frost- Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost UF/PNR
Ilona Andrews; Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews UF/PNR, Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews UF,
Thea Harrison; Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison PNR
Heart of Stone (Gargoyles, #1) by Christine Warren PNR

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 15 comments I forgot Patricia Briggs! I love both the Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega Series, and would put her right after Thea Harrison and Ilona Andrews. ;) I'm just starting on Anne Bishop's The Others, and like what I've read so far.
I have tried so hard to love the Immortals After Dark series, but I just can't. I've read the first three books twice, but somehow they don't grab me like the others we've listed do. I think she lost me with the title "Warlord Wants Forever", lol. I remember thinking "No. Seriously??"

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Davis Not sure if you've tried Faith Hunter, but I am loving the Jane Yellowrock series. I also read the first book in her spin-off series, Soulwood, and totally loved it.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dyer (solsticesinger) | 6 comments Faith Hunter and Patricia Briggs are both super awesome!

message 10: by Melissa (last edited Oct 23, 2017 06:07AM) (new)

Melissa Davis Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane is fantastic. Chess & Terrible are not good people but like everyone else in the world, they are doing the best they can to get by. You will totally fall in love with them. Six book series with lots of shorts. Book six is due out next year.

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) by Stacia Kane Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4) by Stacia Kane Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5) by Stacia Kane

message 11: by Amyiw (last edited Oct 23, 2017 01:09PM) (new)

Amyiw | 175 comments After looking at the series that were liked, I decided to recommend similar series though I don't think of them as darker.
I don't think of Yasmine Galenorn, Faith Hunter, Larissa Ione, J.R. Ward, Nalini Singh, and The Others by Anne Bishop as particularly dark. So I'll stick to darker below.

I think Melissa's Unholy Ghost is a bit darker than the ones above but that is because it deals with the gritty street elements, addiction and evil. So if you don't mind drug addiction, it is a great darker UF with a little romance.
Other darker UF I've come across
Anita Blake starts out darker, It is UF/PNR, It would affect my mood and although really good story lines, I stopped at book 6.
Sandman Slim is dark noir UF, I really liked it but past my "dark" tolerance. I like a little less "dark" though that one is pretty damn funny in a very non-PC way.
Simon S Green's Nightside is a dark UF. Not my cup of tea but highly rated.
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green

One of the best UF with a darker bent is The Dreden Files.
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher

I thought both Graveyard Queen and Allie Beckstrom were pretty dark but didn't really care for them. I have friends that love them.

Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk The Restorer (Graveyard Queen, #1) by Amanda Stevens

Hope that helps for the darker elements... I've never loved the darker ones but some have some great characters and plot lines.

message 12: by Romarin (new)

Romarin Demetri (romarindemetri) | 13 comments Lina wrote: "Kim Harrison Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison
Amelia Hutchins Fighting Destiny (The Fae Chronicles, #1) by Amelia Hutchins
Seanan McGuire [bookcover:Rosemary and Rue|6..."

Awesome list! Definitely book marking this post! Thank you. :)

message 13: by Nerdy Werewolf (last edited Nov 18, 2017 09:31AM) (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) Melissa wrote: "Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane is fantastic. Chess & Terrible are not good people but like everyone else in the world, they are doing the best they can to get by. You ..."

I'm going to second this rec. It was my first UF series after Kim Harrison and it was dark and un-putdownable. Chess and Terrible are awful people, but in the very best way!

message 14: by Trilogy99 (new)

Trilogy99 | 6 comments Depends on what you mean by fluff. Everyone has their own ideas of what that is. ;)

message 15: by Betelgeuze (new)

Betelgeuze | 69 comments Mostly action based series:

The Sandman Slim series Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey

Hellequin series Crimes Against Magic (Hellequin Chronicles, #1) by Steve McHugh

Alex Versus Fated (Alex Verus, #1) by Benedict Jacka

Mathew Swift A Madness of Angels (Matthew Swift, #1) by Kate Griffin

With romance:

Imp series A Demon Bound (Imp, #1) by Debra Dunbar

Elemental Assassin Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep

message 16: by Amyiw (last edited Jun 03, 2018 12:37PM) (new)

Amyiw | 175 comments Felix Castor
The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) by Mike Carey Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2) by Mike Carey Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3) by Mike Carey