The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1) The Princess Saves Herself in This One discussion

The Princess Saves Herself in this One

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sam (new)

Sam Patton I recently came across this poetry book online, and after falling in love with the description, I went to the bookstore and bought it the same day. The title in itself was also a huge attractor for me, because it is so informal, yet true and powerful. At first, I was a little nervous because the first page describes a variety of trigger warnings that the author provided, yet I continued onto the next page, and I am so thankful I did. The plot follows the story of the narrator as she endures many hardships growing up (and I mean like really terrible, traumatic things), encounters harmful men in her life that physically and psychologically damage her, discovers her road to realizing her true value and sense of self-worth, and finally her message to the reader. Lovelace addresses the topics that many people are scared to, and she is able to create something that is so real and authentic that it I felt she was speaking right to me. The many messages and words of wisdom in the book are so powerful, and I can confidently say it definitely changed the way I view myself and reminded me of the kind of person I really want to be. While there are some heavy topics addressed, I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone looking for a good pick-me-up and seeking some good advice. I also definitely recommend reading it in one sitting; it's 200 pages but most of the poems are only a couple lines.

Kiya I read this book in one sitting and really enjoyed it! So simple and yet so impactful. I've read so many bad reviews about the structure and lack of words (aka modern poetry) but I think it's even more genius to convey an entire thought in one sentence! Also... the dedication to Harry Potter makes this instantly relatable to all millennials <3