Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Sara's ever-changing plan for 2018

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (last edited Dec 31, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Sara | 83 comments I already can't pick between choices... So this list is going to change a lot in the future, for sure. Anyway, suggestions for the empty slots are welcome! (Corrections too, there were a few lists I did not trust entirely.)

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
✔ Jean Grey Vol. 2: Final Fight (Jean Grey #7-11) by Dennis Hopeless (Text), Victor Ibañez (Illustrations)
Jean Grey, Vol. 2 Final Fight by Dennis Hopeless

2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
✔ Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, Lauren Myracle
Let It Snow by John Green

3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards

4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson Resist (Breathe, #2) by Sarah Crossan The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

5. A book about or inspired by real events

6. A book originally written in a language other than English
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Last Wish (The Witcher, #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski

7. A gothic novel
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

8. An "own voices" book
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath Adaptation (Adaptation, #1) by Malinda Lo Labyrinth Lost (Brooklyn Brujas, #1) by Zoraida Córdova

9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
Heartless by Marissa Meyer Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire The Bone Witch (The Bone Witch, #1) by Rin Chupeco Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
✔ Consider (Holo #1) by Kristy Acevedo
Consider (Holo, #1) by Kristy Acevedo

11. A literary fiction
✔ Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf

12. A book set in Africa or South America

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc)
✔ Every Day by David Levithan
Every Day (Every Day, #1) by David Levithan

14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
✔ X-Men Red Vol. 1: The Hate Machine (X-Men Red) by Tom Taylor
X-Men Red, Vol. 1 The Hate Machine by Tom Taylor

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
Moonrise by Sarah Crossan

16. A narrative nonfiction

17. A book you expect to make you laugh
✔ Hawkeye, Volume 2: Little Hits (Hawkeye, Volume IV #2)
by Matt Fraction (Writer), David Aja (Artist, #6 & #8-11), Francesco Francavilla (Art & Color, #10), Steve Lieber (Artist, #7), Jesse Hamm (Artist, #7), Annie Wu (Cover Art, #8), Matt Hollingsworth (Color Artist, #6-9 & #11), Chris Eliopoulos (Letterer)
Hawkeye, Volume 2 Little Hits by Matt Fraction

18. A book with a location in the title
A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2) by Becky Chambers Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
✔ Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

21. A book written in first person perspective
✔ Awakened (Lost Children 0) by Krista Street
Awakened (Lost Children, #0) by Krista Street

22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
✔ The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

23. A medical or legal thriller
✔ Pines (Wayward Pines #1) by Blake Crouch
Pines (Wayward Pines, #1) by Blake Crouch

24. A book with a map
✔ The Martian by Andy Weir
The Martian by Andy Weir

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

26. A book with a text only cover
Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
✔ Captain America: Home of the Brave by Mark Waid, Chris Samnee (Illustrator)
Captain America Home of the Brave by Mark Waid

28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
✔ X-Men Red, Vol. 2 by Tom Taylor
X-Men Red, Vol. 2 by Tom Taylor

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
✔ Black Magick, Vol. 2 by Greg Rucka, Nicola Scott (Illustrator)
Black Magick, Vol. 2 Awakening II by Greg Rucka

30. A short book

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
✔ Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

32. An alternate history book
His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik

33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call
✔ Spider-Gwen, Vol. 0: Most Wanted? by Jason Latour (Writer), Robbi Rodriguez (Artist)
Spider-Gwen, Vol. 0 Most Wanted? by Jason Latour

35. A book featuring a murder
✔ Tales of Suspense: Hawkeye & the Winter Soldier by Matthew Rosenberg
Tales of Suspense Hawkeye & the Winter Soldier by Matthew Rosenberg

36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
✔ Torn From Stone (The Phoenix Series #1) by Sarah Rockwood
Torn From Stone (The Phoenix Series, #1) by Sarah Rockwood

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

38. A science book or a science fiction book
✔ Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor, Vol. 1: Terrorformer by Robbie Morrison, Dave Taylor (Illustrations), Alice X. Zhang (Goodreads Author) (Illustrations)
Doctor Who The Twelfth Doctor, Vol. 1 Terrorformer by Robbie Morrison

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
✔ Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey by Matthew Rosenberg
Phoenix Resurrection The Return of Jean Grey by Matthew Rosenberg

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Book Thief by Markus Zusak A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
✔ All-New Wolverine Vol. 6: Old Woman Laura by Tom Taylor (Author), Juann Cabal (Illustrations)
All-New Wolverine, Volume 6 Old Woman Laura by Tom Taylor

42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai #1) by Tiana Warner
Ice Massacre by Tiana Warner

43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
✔ Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern
Thanks for the Memories by Cecelia Ahern

44. A ghost story
Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson

45. A book that intimidates/ scares you

46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
✔ Supergirl: Being Super by Mariko Tamaki
Supergirl Being Super by Mariko Tamaki

47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
✔ Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4: Last Days (Ms. Marvel #4) by G. Willow Wilson (Author), Adrian Alphona (Illustrator)
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4 Last Days by G. Willow Wilson

48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
✔ The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 7: Mothering Invention by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie (Contributor), Matt Wilson (Contributor)
The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 7 Mothering Invention by Kieron Gillen

49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
✔ The Girl with All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts #1) by M.R. Carey
The Girl with All the Gifts (The Girl with All the Gifts, #1) by M.R. Carey

50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
The Way You Make Me Feel by Maurene Goo

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
✔ Seasons of Glass and Iron by Amal El–Mohtar
The Starlit Wood New Fairy Tales by Dominik Parisien

52. A book published in 2018
✔ All-New Wolverine Vol. 5: Orphans of X (All-New Wolverine #5) by Tom Taylor (Writer), Juan Cabal (Illustrations)
All-New Wolverine, Volume 5 Orphans of X by Tom Taylor

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie Great list so far. I see you have The Raven Boys. It's a fantastic book. I finished the series last year.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna | 978 comments I'm borrowing some of your ideas, Sara. The Invisible Library for AT and Y in the title, for instance. Lots of books on your plan that I've read and loved: Our Souls at Night is wonderful, and fits literary fiction perfectly, The Shadow of the Wind is a favourite of mine. And I'm looking forward to reading Pines by Blake Crouch, I read Dark Matter from him this year and really liked it.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments Angie wrote: "Great list so far. I see you have The Raven Boys. It's a fantastic book. I finished the series last year."

Really? I'm glad to hear that, that book has been on my tbr for a while now, I just never got around to it. Yet. :P

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments Anna wrote: "I'm borrowing some of your ideas, Sara. The Invisible Library for AT and Y in the title, for instance. Lots of books on your plan that I've read and loved: Our Souls at Night is won..."

Well, I mean... I totally found Our Souls at Night because of your review. :P
Pines is one of the books that are 99% sure that are going to stay on this list. (Since I actually really wanted to read it this year, but somehow it just... Didn't happen.)

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments January Wrap-Up

The book that stood out this month for me was Hawkeye, Volume 2: Little Hits. It was witty and hilarious. :))

For the challenge:
Hawkeye, Volume 2: Little Hits by Matt Fraction (Writer), David Aja (Artist, #6 & #8-11), Francesco Francavilla (Art & Color, #10), Steve Lieber (Artist, #7), Jesse Hamm (Artist, #7), Annie Wu (Cover Art, #8), Matt Hollingsworth (Color Artist, #6-9 & #11), Chris Eliopoulos (Letterer)
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4: Last Days by G. Willow Wilson (Goodreads Author), Adrian Alphona (Illustrator)
Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
Seasons of Glass and Iron by Amal El–Mohtar
All-New Wolverine Vol. 5: Orphans of X by Tom Taylor (Goodreads Author) (Writer), Juan Cabal (Illustrations)

Outside of the challenge:
Jean Grey Vol. 2 by Dennis Hopeless (Text), Victor Ibañez (Illustrations)
Phoenix Resurrection: The Return of Jean Grey by Matthew Rosenberg

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna | 978 comments Congrats! 👍

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments Anna wrote: "Congrats! 👍"

thank you :)))))

message 9: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2983 comments I enjoyed the Hawkeye series, great art and some nice stories :)

We have the same picks for #51 and 52. You have a good plan, with many books I enjoyed!

For #49, I recommend The Girl rather than 5th Wave. 5th Wave has a good premise and good ideas all along, but it's not well written and the characters' development wasn't good (I found it better in the movie...). The Girl in another hand has a well crafted story and some interesting characters.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments Zaz wrote: "I enjoyed the Hawkeye series, great art and some nice stories :)

We have the same picks for #51 and 52. You have a good plan, with many books I enjoyed!

For #49, I recommend The Girl rather than ..."

Oh, I am definitely going to read the remaining volumes of the Hawkeye series, it's one of my favourite comics so far. :))

Those too? I only knew of #50 because I got the idea from your plan. :P

Thank you for the advice! The girl is my number one choice for that prompt, so I'll probably read that one. (Especially after what you've said.)

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara | 83 comments March Wrap-Up:

I totally forgot to do one of these before now. :o

For the challenge:
The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
Awakened by Krista Street
Pines by Blake Crouch
Black Magick, Vol. 2: Awakening II by Greg Rucka, Nicola Scott (Illustrator)