The Sword and Laser discussion

Theodora Goss
This topic is about Theodora Goss
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #308 - A Decade of Us

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
That’s right, Sword and Laser has been picking and reading books for 10 years and we’re not even close to stopping. This week we discuss why you don’t need to travel to London to read Theodora Goss but it doesn’t hurt. And why we’re extra excited for Andy Weir’s Artemis.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2017/10...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/14839733
https://soundcloud.com/swordandlaser/...

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments Pugs! GoGo says, "Heck yeah!"

message 3: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1335 comments Phillip Pulman is celebrating 10 years too! Giving us a new book.
La Belle Sauvage: The Book of Dust Volume One (Ok 3 days late on the 19th)

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) Happy tenth nameday! It's the "gift of tin or aluminum" anniversary, which seems awkward in a marriage but perfect for S&L.

message 5: by TRP (last edited Oct 13, 2017 07:01AM) (new)

TRP Watson (trpw) | 202 comments Just checked.
Here are the authors who have been picked more than once in the monthly picks. (* means alternate)
John Scalzi (Old Man's War, Fuzzy Nation*, Redshirts*)
George R. R. Martin (A Game of Thrones, A Dance with Dragons)
N. K. Jemisin (The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, The Fifth Season*)
Naomi Novik (Uprooted, His Majesty's Dragon*)
Neal Stephenson (Anathem, Reamde*)
Terry Pratchett (Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter Witch, Wyrd Sisters)
Neil Gaiman (Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter Witch, American Gods)
Ursula K. Le Guin (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Left Hand of Darkness)

message 6: by William (new)

William | 405 comments I deeply thank Tom and Veronica (and all who aid and abet them) for the great work that they do for us in their community.

Happy birthday Sword and Laser!

(btw Keith - you mentioned namedays. If the 16th were the group's nameday, then (where I am) the group would be called "Vladimíra"... which has a ring to it)

message 7: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3959 comments All your books are belong to us!

message 8: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
Don't forget to go to the Patreon page and suggest a Connie Willis book for November's book pick.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/308-dec...

message 9: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1151 comments Mod
And it's voting time! - https://www.patreon.com/posts/14865197

message 10: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

TRP wrote: "Just checked.
Here are the authors who have been picked more than once in the monthly picks. (* means alternate)
George R. R. Martin (A Game o..."

OK so one of the reasons we make a pick an alt is because we read them before. So if we eliminate those, then I'd also only count Good Omens as half since it was Pratchett and Gaiman together which helped us rationalize the doubling.

That leaves George R.R. Martin and Ursula K. LeGuin as the only authors to get full-throated, no excuses, second picks. I feel like those two are pretty darn worthy of the honor, too. We shall name awards after them... or something.

message 11: by TRP (new)

TRP Watson (trpw) | 202 comments Tom wrote: "TRP wrote: "Just checked.
George R. R. Mart..."

It was intended as information NOT criticism. Sorry if it ewas taken that way

message 12: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments Tom just likes his definitions strict.

message 13: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
Tom wrote: "That leaves George R.R. Martin and Ursula K. LeGuin as the only authors to get full-throated, no excuses, second picks. I feel like those two are pretty darn worthy of the honor, too. We shall name awards after them... or something."

GRRM's were in the same series.
So that leaves Ursula K. LeGuin as the only author to get full-throated, no excuses, second picks in 2 separate series.

She is extra special.

message 14: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

TRP wrote: "Tom wrote: "TRP wrote: "Just checked.
Georg..."

Oh dear me no I did not take it as criticism. I was just riffing on the info you collected. And thanks for doing it too! Just thought it was interesting. Apologies for coming across terse.

message 15: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tassie Dave wrote: "Tom wrote: "That leaves George R.R. Martin and Ursula K. LeGuin as the only authors to get full-throated, no excuses, second picks. I feel like those two are pretty darn worthy of the honor, too. W..."

To LeGuin!

message 16: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments <3
That's all. I <3 you guys and this group.

message 17: by Silvana (last edited Oct 15, 2017 03:10AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1628 comments The Iron King was really good. I gave my copy to a publisher rep in Indonesia as a token of appreciation for them - a small publisher - taking a huge step in translating A Game of Thrones. They did buy the rights for the first three ASOIAF books and got them translated, but most people here don't like to read and prefer the TV series, sales sucked, they decided to stop.

Back to The Iron King, it is a romanticized historical account but it does has an air of realism in it. Maybe it's because of the writing style (one may feel like reading a history book disguised as a novel) or maybe because the author did take real events and able to construct a believable story.

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark Lawrence (marklawrence) | 24 comments Congratulations. A decade of effort deserves a party!

message 19: by Stephen (last edited Oct 15, 2017 08:34PM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1327 comments The Accused Kings is based on the 100 years War from the French perspective (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred...).
The most successful " taking a Copyright Free Character for your own book " is done by George MacDonald Fraser who took the character Harry Flashman from Tom Brown's Schooldays. Thomas Hughes wrote a Victorian morals tale that does not translate well into the modern era, but Macdonald took Tom Brown's school bully and inserted him into the British Imperial era. To quote George RR Martin, noted Amazon reviewer, Harry Flashman is " one of literature's great rogues."
I, myself, plan ( if Reincarnation is true) to come back in 200 years to take Malfoy from HP series and insert him into American Politics 1990 to now, namely a character like Roger Stone only with a tad more morals.
Lastly as one of the lucky ones who has a local S&L meetup to go to, I too thank you for providing the platform to meet new friends.

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 259 comments Let us not forget that the other real life Game of Thrones that Martin took inspiration from is The Wars of the Roses that gripped England pretty much after Henry V's death. Quite a few historical novels based on that by Phillipa Gregory and Conn Iggulden.

I'd love to read some more Connie Willis. And even though two of the choices I've already read, I read them a long time ago. So it's a good chance this will be a time travel pick that I won't lem.

message 21: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments From what I have read a lot of the current copyright fiasco in the US is Disney's fault. They lobbied to get the law changed when their first creation were getting close to being public domain under the old laws. They didn't want Mickey to be public domain so they eventually got the the law changed to what it is today. Then to add insult they went and copyrighted characters from the public domain, such as Aladdin, as their own.

message 22: by Stephen (last edited Oct 19, 2017 01:49PM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1327 comments For those who want to explore the genre of Historical Fiction this lovely Guardian story about Dorothy Dunnett , I mean comparing her to the Velvet Underground got me to add her to the "Must Read " list. Thank you Laura Hughes for the comparison, brilliant .
https://www.theguardian.com/books/boo...

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1864 comments terpkristin wrote: "<3
That's all. I <3 you guys and this group."

<3