Digerati Buchgemeinschaft discussion

The Late Homecommer > The Late Homecomer

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzannekm) | 76 comments I finished the book last night.
I keep thinking about the relationships between family members. The closeness of the author to her grandmother and father seems to influence her story strongly. I wonder if it's related to their experiences or to their personalities.
Is making meaning out of family and cultural experiences more related to the events or to the people experiencing them? Maybe meaning comes from telling the stories--Yang and her father and grandmother are storytellers.

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe Lozano | 6 comments I was at the talk she gave last night at Newman and it was brilliant- I hope they recorded it! She is 4'9" of pure power.
Read the book last week and both in the book and in person you can feel the virtue of the familial attachment that allowed her grandmother to not be diminished even after leaving behind all the outward trappings of a lifetime. And which does not permit her father's dignity to be breached even throughout the trials in his life.
It is a wonderful story of love and loss, immigration and tradition, adversity and achievement; a simply human tale.
Looking forward to reading her latest, "The Song Poet" which she signed for me last night.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzannekm) | 76 comments Thanks for these observations. I find myself thinking about my family's immigrant experience several generations ago through the lens of who told the stories that help us understand it now.

message 4: by Jim (last edited Nov 25, 2017 09:51AM) (new)

Jim | 12 comments Just finished this one. I'm glad I read this book, glad that the NEA chose it to highlight the realities of the refugee experience to a culture that has lost track of what the word "refugee" even means.

This makes the fourth book that I've read this year for this group since I also finished The Mists of Avalon recently. I'm having fun with these selections even though I can't do them all. We haven't had a new book added to the list for a while, so what's up next?

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzannekm) | 76 comments December suggestion: Louise Erdrich's Future Home of the Living God, a "distopian thriller"!