Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Bridget's Book Binge 2018 - FINISHED!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bridget (last edited Dec 26, 2018 04:26AM) (new)

Bridget | 120 comments So excited for a new list! I think I will try to read in order this year and to participate in the discussions (I was useless this year).

√ 1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

√ 2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo

√ 3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King

√ 4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...)
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

√ 5. A book about or inspired by real events
Columbine by Dave Cullen

√ 6. A book originally written in a language other than English
The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

7. A gothic novel
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

√ 8. An "own voices" book*
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

√ 9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published)
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

11. A literary fiction
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

12. A book set in Africa or South America
The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey by Ernesto Che Guevara

13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies,
secret societies, etc)
One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
The Fireman by Joe Hill

15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

16. A narrative nonfiction
3,096 Days by Natascha Kampusch

17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

18. A book with a location in the title
Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier

19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors)
My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier - Author

20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

21. A book written in first person perspective
The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn

23. A medical or legal thriller
Miracle Cure by Harlan Coben

24. A book with a map
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

26. A book with a text only cover
The Plague by Albert Camus

27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc)
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
The Mermaid by Christina Henry

29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench)
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler - Revolver

30. A short book
Days of Reading by Marcel Proust
Tarantula by Thierry Jonquet

31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to
Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami

32. An alternate history book
The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick

33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same
year as you
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - Sexual Predator (1985)

34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call - A book with a fruit or a vegetable in the title
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson

35. A book featuring a murder
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson

36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
Nine Lessons by Nicola Upson

37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

38. A science book or a science fiction book
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
Gerald's Game by Stephen King

40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials
La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman

42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
It's Kind of a Funny Storyby Ned Vizzini

44. A ghost story
The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde

45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own
Beloved by Toni Morrison

48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth)
The Godfather by Mario Puzo

49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists
√ November 2010 - 11/22/63 by Stephen King

50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer)
Carrie Pilby by Caren Lissner

51. An award-winning short story or short story collection
Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman

52. A book published in 2018
The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan
Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare

message 2: by Bridget (last edited Jan 01, 2018 12:49PM) (new)

Bridget | 120 comments I will add the final book (published in 2018) next year.. possibly something from Christina Henry (I loved her Alice series).

message 3: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments I may or may not have done nothing but read today... The flip side of this was an awful dinner that was rushed and not at all appealing.
And I have already broken my plan of reading everything in order as a friend (not on goodreads) wants to buddy read The Old Man and the Sea :)

message 4: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments I have managed to get through The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, which was a very wordy struggle! But happy I can tick it off my list so early on in the year.

Now reading Sleeping Beauties and almost halfway through. I am pleasantly surprised by it :)

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Wow, that's an impressive one to get through so early.

message 6: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Katie wrote: "Wow, that's an impressive one to get through so early."

I am trying to read in order (I failed with that by reading The Old Man and the Sea second) and read pretty quickly so finished 2 prompts in 2 days and that left 4 days to struggle through the Victor Hugo. I am sure the speediness will slow down in a few weeks as work and life kick into high gear...

I must admit I won't be tempted to try another Hugo novel for a while :s

message 7: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments He’s wordy for sure, but I do love me some Hugo. That ending ... is perfect.

message 8: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Jody wrote: "He’s wordy for sure, but I do love me some Hugo. That ending ... is perfect."

Oh I agree. That ending was truly perfect and I feel like that has ruined ever watching the Disney version :)

message 9: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finished Sleeping Beauties and it was really good. I wasn't expecting to get so drawn in so quickly!

I read out of order as I wanted a more lighthearted read after Sleeping Beauties so I have also finished prompt #8 Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda which I was not expecting to enjoy at all. I was pleasantly surprised and even had a gigglesnort at work (to the amusement of my boss).

message 10: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments I have added Tarantula for prompt #30 - A short book as Days of Reading is technically essays by Proust :)

I finished Tarantula last night and it was... uncomfortable and unsettling and brilliant!

~~Reading in order is out the sodding window as well~~

message 11: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finished Days of Reading and I think this is going to be a book I pass on to my bookish friends. Beautifully written.

message 12: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finished The Grapes of Wrath and The Road. I found The Road to be frustrating with the lack of chapters and punctuation. I am disappointed as this is a book that, on paper, should be right up my alley!

message 13: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I *hated* The Road. I want to try McCarthy again, but I’m totally put off.

message 14: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Jody wrote: "I *hated* The Road. I want to try McCarthy again, but I’m totally put off."

I feel the same way about Victor Hugo! I hear Blood Meridian is quite good so may give that a bash later on in the year.

I just finished One of Us is Lying and I actually enjoyed it. It was a quick and easy read after The Road and The Grapes of Wrath!
I will start Columbine this evening (I have mislaid my copy of Journey to the Centre of the Earth so I can't read in order!!)

message 15: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finished Columbine and I am a bit broken and battered by it! It was really good though and disproved a lot of the early theories on why the gunmen did what they did.

I feel I may need a day or two to recover from this. The next read is definitely going to be fluff!!

message 16: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Bridget wrote: "Finished Columbine and I am a bit broken and battered by it! It was really good though and disproved a lot of the early theories on why the gunmen did what they did.

I feel I may need a day or two..."

This is on my TBR, but I haven't been in a huge rush to read it , so heavy :-(

Also, I'm reading Newtown: An American Tragedy for the challenge this year, and Ugh! I know I'm going to cry. This one hits a little closer to home for me....the shooting was only about 15 minutes from where I live and grew up. They actually mentioned on the news last week that they finished reviewing the case after all these years and just the mention of all those little babies whose lives were wasted had me crying in the car.

Its going to be rough.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna | 969 comments You have a great list, Bridget! And you're plowing through! I loved Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and The Shadow of the Wind from your list. I'm planning to read The Road for week 27 (surviving a hardship), and hope I like it better than you... :)

message 18: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Tracy wrote: "Bridget wrote: "Finished Columbine and I am a bit broken and battered by it! It was really good though and disproved a lot of the early theories on why the gunmen did what they did.

I feel I may n..."

Oh I don't know if I could cope too well reading about the Sandy Hook tragedy. I think I am strictly once heart breaking book a year at this point!

I am from a country that is rife with gun violence but we never had school shootings so it is so hard to grasp the magnitude of that kind of tragedy.

message 19: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Anna wrote: "You have a great list, Bridget! And you're plowing through! I loved Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and [book:The Shadow of the W..."

I really hope I enjoy The Shadow of the Wind! I am a bit worried I will not like because I have hyped it up in my head!

I actually really enjoyed Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda and am planning on watching the film when it comes out.

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna | 969 comments Oh, I didn't know that they have made a film of S vs the HSA. I'll look it up.

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (watermelanie) | 112 comments Middlesex and Good Omens are so good in very different ways.

message 22: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Anna wrote: "Oh, I didn't know that they have made a film of S vs the HSA. I'll look it up."

I think it is due to be released In March (I could be very wrong though!)

message 23: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Melanie wrote: "Middlesex and Good Omens are so good in very different ways."

I love Neil Gaiman but have never quite got into Terry Pratchett so I am slightly concerned that I won't love Good Omens...

I am glad to know that Middlesex is good as no one I know has read it! The premise is certainly intriguing.

message 24: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
Bridget wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Middlesex and Good Omens are so good in very different ways."

I love Neil Gaiman but have never quite got into Terry Pratchett so I am slightly concerned that I won't love Good Ome..."

I loved Middlesex!!! So good.

message 25: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Tracy wrote: "Bridget wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Middlesex and Good Omens are so good in very different ways."

I love Neil Gaiman but have never quite got into Terry Pratchett so I am slightly concerned that I won..."

Well, that is that. Middlesex will be my next read :)

message 26: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Just finished Middlesex and it was amazing! Such a beautifully written book and it tackles the subject matter in such a delicate and honest way.

message 27: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finished The Psychopath Test this morning (ironically at work whilst dealing with a Forensic Psychologist in a secure service).

I enjoyed how amusing this books is and how it highlights how easy it is to misuse tools that should only be used by trained professionals.

message 28: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments I finished Lolita and The Canterville Ghost this week.

Lolita is an odd duck... I hate the subject matter but love the sarcasm and humour that Nabokov writes with.

The Canterville Ghost is super short and a right laugh! I loved it and am glad I chose it for this prompt. I needed something lighthearted after the previous few books :)

message 29: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Wrapped up Fragile Things and I have just started Crime and Punishment :)

message 30: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finally finished Crime and Punishment and I really enjoyed it! Dostoevsky really impressed me and I am keen to read more of his works.

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen | 9 comments Bridget wrote: "Finally finished Crime and Punishment and I really enjoyed it! Dostoevsky really impressed me and I am keen to read more of his works."
I agree! I read it a few years ago and loved it! It's depth and poignancy were palpable.

message 32: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Karen wrote: "Bridget wrote: "Finally finished Crime and Punishment and I really enjoyed it! Dostoevsky really impressed me and I am keen to read more of his works."
I agree! I read it a few years ago and loved ..."

I have been recommending it to everyone at work! I am finishing up The Trial By Franz Kafka and I don't think I am too much of a fan...

message 33: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finished Carrie Pilby and was not overly impressed with the supremely unlikable title character...

Side read of The Trial currently and then back to the challenge :)

message 34: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finished The Big Sleep (which I surprised myself by loving) and am on to Geek Love.

Possibly going to add another side read soon, maybe The Wayward Pines books?

message 35: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2524 comments Great list! I’ve been meaning to read Middlesex. Hopefully, this year!

message 36: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 697 comments Bridget — I just read a review of a new translation of The Three Musketeers. The translation is by Lawrence Ellsworth. It sounds like it would be a livelier version than some of the older translations - which might make it just slightly less intimidating.

message 37: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Pam wrote: "Great list! I’ve been meaning to read Middlesex. Hopefully, this year!"

Thanks Pam, I am actually chuffed to get round to so many of the books sitting on my shelves this year!

I also cannot recommend Middlesex enough. I have read The Virgin Suicides and loved it too so will probably give The Marriage Plot a bash later this year :)

message 38: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Lizzy wrote: "Bridget — I just read a review of a new translation of The Three Musketeers. The translation is by Lawrence Ellsworth. It sounds like it would be a livelier version than some of the older translati..."

Thanks Lizzy! I will see if I can find it here. Have you read The Three Musketeers? If so, what is your view on it?

message 39: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 697 comments I have not read it, but I have a very old copy. I may have to look up the new translation.

message 40: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finally finished Geek Love! Starting a new job is not conducive to reading... but I am settled now (and started a book exchange at work) so am hoping to have more time for reading.

YAY :)

message 41: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finished The Motorcycle Diaries and The Bell Jar this past week and have just started The Burning Maze.

I am getting back into the groove of reading after finally settling down at the new job :)

message 42: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finished The Burning Maze and Good Omens.

I adored Good Omens and am so excited to see David Tennent as Crowley!

message 43: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Wrapped up The Man in the High Castle and Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit :)

I loved Jeanette Winterson's book and have ordered some of her other works to add to my already towering TBR pile!!

message 44: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Finished Pride and Prejudice. I am not sure how I feel about it to be honest...

message 45: by Karen (new)

Karen | 9 comments Bridget wrote: "Finished Pride and Prejudice. I am not sure how I feel about it to be honest..."

Oh, it's one of my faves, and I've read it 5 times. I am a sucker for the English social class dynamics and the Victorian era rules of romance. The book was used as a backdrop in the movie "You've Got Mail" with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks if you're interested...

message 46: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Karen wrote: "Bridget wrote: "Finished Pride and Prejudice. I am not sure how I feel about it to be honest..."

Oh, it's one of my faves, and I've read it 5 times. I am a sucker for the English social class dyna..."

I really disliked Emma when I read it last year and then LOVED Persuasion and I am kind of ok with Pride and Prejudice, I just need time to process the whiplash... :p

The You've Got Mail is a revelation!

I am due to read Northanger Abbey this year and I also have Mansfield Park and Sense and Sensibility on my bookshelf so I may be an Austen fan yet!

message 47: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Just finished The Devil in the White City and I really enjoyed it! Made my train trips to London thoroughly enjoyable :)

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen | 9 comments London, and train rides, and a great read...oh my! :)

message 49: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Karen wrote: "London, and train rides, and a great read...oh my! :)"

A touch better than lions, tigers and bears!
I am pretty happy the travel is only once in a blue moon for work and that my work is close to my village lol

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen | 9 comments Bridget wrote: "Karen wrote: "London, and train rides, and a great read...oh my! :)"

A touch better than lions, tigers and bears!
I am pretty happy the travel is only once in a blue moon for work and that my work..."

hee hee!!!

« previous 1