The Fairy Book Club discussion

Bookish Talk > Little Free Libraries

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stella (new)

Stella I have recently discovered Little Free Libraries https://littlefreelibrary.org/ and found that there are five registered in my town. I was thinking this would be a great connection to the Book Fairies, and then saw on Facebook that someone did use a Little Free Library for a book drop. Now I am curious how many other Book Fairies know of these in their area and use them, or maybe even are stewards of their own Little Free Library? If you are new to the concept, check out their website and use the map to find if there are any near you.

message 2: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 9 comments I know a few Alberta, Canada book fairies have used the Little Free Libraries frequently as a place to drop a book! They are great if you want to upgrade your books for something better too! :)

message 3: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (ploufofaveyron) | 23 comments Didn't know there is a website for all the Little Free Libraries. I love the worldwide map !! Should register all the Little Free Libraries near me to complete the map for France^^
I use the Little Free Library in my hometown for 2 years now and my second book drop as a book fairy was in there ;-)

message 4: by Stella (new)

Stella Sylvie wrote: "Didn't know there is a website for all the Little Free Libraries. I love the worldwide map !! Should register all the Little Free Libraries near me to complete the map for France^^
I use the Littl..."

I suspect there are quite a few unregistered Little Free Libraries out there, but the map is a great starting place, isn't it? :-)

message 5: by Stella (new)

Stella Lindsay wrote: "I know a few Alberta, Canada book fairies have used the Little Free Libraries frequently as a place to drop a book! They are great if you want to upgrade your books for something better too! :)"

I wish Goodreads had a like button for this!

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 43 comments I had seen these on instagram and twitter posts when Book Fairies leave drops at them, but I didn't think there were any near me. Just checked on the link you provided, Stella, and found there are several!

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 12 comments I installed a LFL at our house about three years ago. Neighbors love it and visit often. Another neighbor installed one for his daughter and it houses children's books (although I had a few). It's a fun way to share books and encourage reading. BTW, I did not register mine at the time because a neighbor was concerned about "bringing unwanted traffic into the neighborhood" Silly!
I see a few of them around our metro Atlanta area.

message 8: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (cordeliareads) | 324 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "I installed a LFL at our house about three years ago. Neighbors love it and visit often. Another neighbor installed one for his daughter and it houses children's books (although I had a few). It's ..."

Unwanted traffic like readers who want to find a new book? Heehee :) I think they are wonderful. The more ways to encourage reading the better - and it is fantastic that you have not only set one up yourself but encouraged your neighbours!

message 9: by Stella (new)

Stella Ashley wrote: "I had seen these on instagram and twitter posts when Book Fairies leave drops at them, but I didn't think there were any near me. Just checked on the link you provided, Stella, and found there are ..."

Glad I could help spread the word. It gives me warm fuzzy feelings just to know that there are other book lovers near me doing good deeds!

message 10: by Stella (new)

Stella Cordelia wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I installed a LFL at our house about three years ago. Neighbors love it and visit often..." "Unwanted traffic like readers who want to find a new book? Heehee :)"

Ha! One of the ones near me was on a block with "Neighborhood Watch" signs all around. A lady was outside in a nearby yard raking, and she gave me the hairy eyeball as I approached. Then when she saw me open up the LFL and pop in a book, she went back to her raking with a smile on her face!

message 11: by Cordelia (new)

Stella wrote: "Cordelia wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I installed a LFL at our house about three years ago. Neighbors love it and visit often..." "Unwanted traffic like readers who want to find a new book? Heehee :)"

Ha..."

Oh how wonderful! She was so suspicious haha - we get that A LOT as book fairies, part of the job is to prove people wrong :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

This is actually really interesting, because my city, Scottsdale, Arizona, is installing boxes of books through out parks and public areas in an effort to get people to read more. How it works is, you can take any book you want, and when you're done put it back. If you have a book you have already read you can put it in there so someone else can read one of your books. It's planned to be finished this fiscal year and I can't wait for it.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie | 4 comments Our church has an LFL and I am the "librarian" for it. It's been doing great. I periodically request book from the congregation and restock it about once a week. The area that we are located in is rather poor so we get more that go out than come back, but that's fine. The point is that they are being read. I've even nabbed a book or 2 from there myself to read and return.

message 14: by Cordelia (new)

We are going to announce something exciting about Little Free Libraries today or tomorrow!!! Eeeeekkk! Watch this space and remind me if I forget to update everyone...!

message 15: by Haykuhi (new)

Haykuhi (hakuarz) | 15 comments Cordelia wrote: "We are going to announce something exciting about Little Free Libraries today or tomorrow!!! Eeeeekkk! Watch this space and remind me if I forget to update everyone...!"

Woohoo! Can't wait! <3

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (mommy2gb) | 4 comments We have my daughters choose something to do for others throughout the Thanksgiving and Christmas Season. We are building a couple of the 'Little Libraries' to put out in our neighborhood and near their school. We are so excited.

message 17: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 71 comments I am going to look to see if we can do more in my area. We only have on currently... :(

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Cordelia wrote: "We are going to announce something exciting about Little Free Libraries today or tomorrow!!! Eeeeekkk! Watch this space and remind me if I forget to update everyone...!"

Oh, GOD i can't wait! I wish i lived in your area.

message 19: by Allisha (new)

Allisha (leeshee) | 40 comments Yes!! I discovered one in my neighborhood about 2 months ago while walking the pup! I've spotted several along Rancho Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, and Manhattan Beach (California). I long to be a steward. A bit pricey to make and install one. How I wish my dad lived close by - he'd make an awesome one by hand! But husband says it's out of the budget for now :(.

message 20: by Allisha (new)

Allisha (leeshee) | 40 comments Cordelia wrote: "We are going to announce something exciting about Little Free Libraries today or tomorrow!!! Eeeeekkk! Watch this space and remind me if I forget to update everyone...!"

yay!!!

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather Catuzo | 4 comments I started mine in May after a year of planning. We don't have a huge amount of traffic, but it's being used. It's been a joy for me to share books. We have 40 Goosebump books for Halloween. I can't wait.

message 22: by Rebekka (new)

Rebekka (bookjungledweller) (bookjungledweller) | 4 comments I searched the website and found one in Munich! Thank you for introducing me to this! Definitely I'll go there as soon as possible :D
I already dropped a few bookfairy books at two other booksharing spots in Munich called 'Bücherschrank' (book cabinet) :)

message 23: by Stella (new)

Stella Found the announcement, if anyone else missed it: https://ibelieveinbookfairies.com/201...

message 24: by Cordelia (new)

Thank you Stella!

message 25: by Annemette (new)

Annemette | 28 comments I didn't know LFL, I love the idea! wish we had one here... or, that I had the time to make one!

message 26: by Annette (new)

Annette (wineandspines) | 3 comments I have my books ready for Nov 4! I've already found the Little Libraries in my area! I can't wait - how fun!

message 27: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 48 comments I don’t know if there are enough heart emojis for me to express how much I love all of this. I love book people. Book people are the coolest kind of weird and I’m honored to be part of such regal company.

message 28: by Cordelia (new)

Kristina wrote: "I don’t know if there are enough heart emojis for me to express how much I love all of this. I love book people. Book people are the coolest kind of weird and I’m honored to be part of such regal c..."

You are adorable :)

message 29: by Shawna (new)

Shawna | 6 comments I'm fortunate to have one just down the street from me. I wish it were a little better maintained though. The latch is sticky and it can't always be closed properly. I've seen some books become water damaged from this. Just a consideration if anyone is thinking of building their own. I'd love to be the steward of my own someday. However, becoming a Book Fairy has helped me to share my love of books and reading in another meaningful way.

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 9 comments I looked on the map and only saw the one. Looks like you should start your own. It doesn't have to be the "official" box. It can be homemade, upcycled, etc. https://littlefreelibrary.org/ourmap/

message 31: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 6 comments What a shame, there doesn't seem to be any in the UK. although not surprising tbh, it would probably get vandalised within a few days.

message 32: by Stella (new)

Stella Chrissie wrote: "What a shame, there doesn't seem to be any in the UK. although not surprising tbh, it would probably get vandalised within a few days."

I got tons of results for the UK. Go to the map here, select country, and type United Kingdom...though I think you'll have to narrow it down a bit from there! https://littlefreelibrary.org/ourmap/

message 33: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 6 comments Oh ok. nothing came up for me although looking via phone. Found a lovely Facebook group though.

message 34: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 71 comments WE ARE BUILDING A LFL!
WE ARE BUILDING A LFL!
WE ARE BUILDING A LFL!

I just received an invite yesterday to the "Official Reveal" for our Little Free Library! AND it is right up the road from my house! <3

message 35: by Stella (new)

Stella Cortney wrote: "WE ARE BUILDING A LFL!"

:-)

message 36: by Cordelia (new)

Cortney wrote: "WE ARE BUILDING A LFL!
WE ARE BUILDING A LFL!
WE ARE BUILDING A LFL!

I just received an invite yesterday to the "Official Reveal" for our Little Free Library! AND it is right up the road from my h..."

What!!! Amazing! We want to hear all the progress and see pics. May I suggest: dark green with wings on the top? ;) x

message 37: by Cortney (last edited Nov 16, 2017 07:39AM) (new)

Cortney | 71 comments Lol! Cordelia that would be amazing! However, the township is in charge, so I will have no say! I do have some friends on the supervisor's board though, so if I can encourage more locations I will!

The only other LFL in my area is only accessible during the parks hours of operation. If the facility gates are not open you can not get to it. :(

message 38: by Cordelia (new)

Cortney wrote: "Lol! Cordelia that would be amazing! However, the township is in charge, so I will have no say! I do have some friends on the supervisor's board though, so if I can encourage more locations I will!..."

Hahahaha! I love that you even considered it! Sounds like an amazing project and I honestly cannot wait to see it come to life!

message 39: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 71 comments Cordelia wrote: "Cortney wrote: "Lol! Cordelia that would be amazing! However, the township is in charge, so I will have no say! I do have some friends on the supervisor's board though, so if I can encourage more l..."

I am trying to coerce my boyfriend into making one! lol

message 40: by Tara (new)

Tara (ptaradactyl816) | 3 comments We have quite a few of them here in my town, one is very close to my house. I often drop books in several of them. I've kind of thought about building one that is a TARDIS.

message 41: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 9 comments I just saw a plastic one, stand included, at Ace hardware. a "Simplay Sharing Library" $149.99. That's less than 1/2 what I spent on mine from the Little Free Library org. It's also 1/2 the size, does not come with charter number and already designed, but for the price, makes for a nice 2nd one, maybe designated just for kids? Worth looking into.

message 42: by Bex (new)

Bex (bexbooksandstuff) | 8 comments I have just been to visit a little free library in great limber, lincolnshire. We were visiting my mother in law and she lives about 8 minutes from it so we had to drop by! It was in an old repurposed red telephone box and it was chock full of books. I will definately be making this a regular visitation!
Also dropped a christmas book fairy parcel in the adjacent bus shelter ❤❤

message 43: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 9 comments Love the booth libraries. So envious of them! If you go to Little Free Library . org, there is a map that will show you the registered ones wherever you may be. It's a fun way to travel.

message 44: by Casi (new)

Casi Hamilton | 2 comments There are two not to far from me and I use them off and on. I find that, alas, people mostly dump old magazines in them. I've been pushing my own neighborhood to get one, we've got the perfect spot, but no luck yet

message 45: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 9 comments Create your own! Even an old microwave or mini frig could suffice.

message 46: by Cordelia (new)

Bex wrote: "I have just been to visit a little free library in great limber, lincolnshire. We were visiting my mother in law and she lives about 8 minutes from it so we had to drop by! It was in an old repurpo..."
Heehee I love reading about book fairy business :)

message 47: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 71 comments We have started our Little Free Library! <3. We have it all drawn up in our CAD program. After Christmas we are going to purchase some materials and start making cuts! CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!

This Weekend we will be visiting America's Oldest Book seller and meeting with an author to have a book signed. While we are out and about we will be doing our last pre Christmas book fairying business. I am super excited!

message 48: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 9 comments Fabulous!!! Look for local authors, they love to donate. I'm going to start writing authors I know to be "generous" and see if they would be willing to send ramainders, etc.

Goodwill, library sales, Time Banks, FreeCycles are excellent places to get books.

Join the Facebook Little Free Library Steward page & share pictures

message 49: by Cortney (new)

Cortney | 71 comments I promised Cordelia I would send her updates for a blog.

I have a local gently used store that I knkw would donate and I have tons of store credit!

Our plan is to do the reveal at our annual Walk for Literacy. So filling this box shoukd be super easy! I also have some friends that sell Usborne and of course I will look for free authors! Thank you for all the advice! I can't wait!

message 50: by Jo (new)

Jo Sturgess | 5 comments I really want to do one, I will have to see if Santa is generous enough to sponsor me to set one up after Christmas! 🤞🏻

« previous 1