Fresno County Public Library discussion

Book Discussions > BIG Library Read: The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (last edited Oct 12, 2017 10:27AM) (new)

Kristin B | 28 comments Mod
The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett by Chelsea Sedoti

Every couple months, OverDrive picks out an ebook and makes it readily available with no wait list for two weeks. The Big Library Read, as it is called, is here again and this time around the book is Chelsea Sedoti's YA title, The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett! You can find the book (ebook and audiobook formats) here, FREE through FCPL: https://fresno.overdrive.com/

Autumn is the perfect time to fall into a new book, and we hope you get a chance to check this one out.

We'd also like to take this opportunity to invite online discussion of this book--and future Big Library Reads--via our Goodreads group. As no doubt everyone realizes, Fresno County covers a huge geographical area and it can even be difficult for people living in the same town to get together and discuss books--so we propose starting an online book club of sorts, right here, within our group.

Once you've finished the book, or sooner if you don't mind stumbling across a few spoilers, please come back to this post, reply with your impressions and any questions you have for fellow readers, and respond to others' thoughts on the reading.

Ready? Let's give this a try!

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 30 comments I enjoyed this and I'm glad I picked it up -- or checked out the OverDrive ebook, rather!

A few pages in, this gave every indication of being a twisty-turny-mystery with maybe a slight dash of thriller, but the story turned out to be less about puzzling out what happened to Lizzie and more about finding your way in a world that's all kinds of complicated.

There are several memorable characters throughout and I particularly enjoyed getting to know Hawthorn, the book's très quirky, sardonic as all get-out protagonist. Hawthorn is one of the most wonderfully offbeat YA voices I've encountered in a while. I'll admit that I got a guilty kick out of her habit of wishing for slight annoyances to befall other characters ("I wished they'd always get stuck behind drivers going five miles under the speed limit"). Foibles aside, I found myself rooting for Hawthorn and I felt that her arc ended on a quietly satisfying note.

Hawthorn's friend Emily was another well-realized character -- if she were to get top billing in her own spin-off book, I'd definitely do an enthusiastic fist pump.

If you're into quirky, character-driven YA, give this one a shot!