Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Michelle's 2018 "Plan"

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Dec 13, 2018 08:29PM) (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments This is my fourth time doing 52 books a year the reading challenge and I'm going to change it up again. 1st year, I joined late so I was just trying to fit in books I read already to most of the prompts and then spent the rest of the year filling in the missing prompts. 2nd year, I planned all my books out and read in order. 3rd year, I decided to throw out all plans, read what I feel like when I feel like it, and then try to fit books into prompts. This time, I'm going to read in order but without planning for more than one prompt in advance. I'll fill out my list as I pick up books to read.

46/52

✔1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title - Turtles All the Way Down 4 stars
✔2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list -
The Buried Giant 4 stars
✔3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards - Pachinko
✔4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) - After the Quake
✔5. A book about or inspired by real events - Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness
✔6. A book originally written in a language other than English -夜明けの縁をさ迷う人々 Yoake no fuchi o samayou hitobito
✔7. A gothic novel - Rebecca
✔8. An "own voices" book* - The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
✔9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc) - Their Eyes Were Watching God
✔10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) - What We Lose
✔11. A literary fiction - Sing, Unburied, Sing
✔12. A book set in Africa or South America - Things Fall Apart
✔13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) - The Miniaturist
✔14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire - Little Fires Everywhere
✔15. A book with an unique format/writing structure - Gemina
✔16. A narrative nonfiction - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
✔17. A book you expect to make you laugh - Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
✔18. A book with a location in the title - Looking for Alaska
✔19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors) - Murder on the Orient Express
✔20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends - The Girl With All the Gifts
✔21. A book written in first person perspective -Circe
✔22. A book you have high expectations or hope for - An American Marriage
✔23. A medical or legal thriller - The Andromeda Strain
✔24. A book with a map - The Cruel Prince
✔25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view - American Psycho
✔26. A book with a text only cover - Exit West
✔27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) - The Girl Who Smiled Beads: A Story of War and What Comes After
✔28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water - The Ocean at the End of the Lane
✔29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) - And Then There Were None
✔30. A short book - Tin Man
✔31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to - The Girl in the Tower
✔32. An alternate history book - The Underground Railroad
✔33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you (link) - Song of a Captive Bird
✔34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call (A book about mental illness) - Everything Here Is Beautiful
✔35. A book featuring a murder - Crime and Punishment
✔36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before - The Immortalists
✔37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee (link1, link2) - The Idiot
✔38. A science book or a science fiction book - The Oracle Year
✔39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
✔40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list (link) - Slaughterhouse-Five
✔41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials - Spinning Silver
✔42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater - The Pisces
✔43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence - Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
✔44. A ghost story - Lincoln in the Bardo
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you - Ulysses
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air - When Breath Becomes Air
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own - The Incendiaries
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth) - The Pearl
✔49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists (link) - Home Fire
50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) - The Kiss Quotient
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection - Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
✔52. A book published in 2018 - Us Against You

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro Pachinko by Min Jin Lee After the Quake by Haruki Murakami Brain on Fire My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan 夜明けの縁をさ迷う人々 Yoake no fuchi o samayou hitobito  by Yōko Ogawa   Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston What We Lose by Zinzi Clemmons Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) by Chinua Achebe The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2) by Amie Kaufman The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Looking for Alaska by John Green Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts #1) by M.R. Carey Circe by Madeline Miller An American Marriage by Tayari Jones The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1) by Holly Black American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis Exit West by Mohsin Hamid The Girl Who Smiled Beads A Story of War and What Comes After by Clemantine Wamariya The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie Tin Man by Sarah Winman The Girl in the Tower (Winternight Trilogy, #2) by Katherine Arden The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead Song of a Captive Bird by Jasmin Darznik Everything Here Is Beautiful by Mira T. Lee

message 2: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments I'm thinking of reading in order in 2018 too, even though I failed miserably when I tried it in 2016. Although I've gone the opposite way to you, and planned out a lot of the prompts with a loooooot of options lol.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Michelle, that's what I'm doing this year, reading the prompts in order, but just choosing books as I go. I think it works out pretty well.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie | 777 comments I've thought about reading the books in order, but I depend a lot on the library. Good luck!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments Jody wrote: "I'm thinking of reading in order in 2018 too, even though I failed miserably when I tried it in 2016. Although I've gone the opposite way to you, and planned out a lot of the prompts with a loooooo..."

Lol! Perhaps I'll try the lots of options way in 2019.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments Katie wrote: "Michelle, that's what I'm doing this year, reading the prompts in order, but just choosing books as I go. I think it works out pretty well."

Glad to hear it's going well for you. Hope it does for me too.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments Angie wrote: "I've thought about reading the books in order, but I depend a lot on the library. Good luck!"

I own way too many books that I haven't read plus books that my friends own that I want to read so I think I should be ok.

message 8: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1259 comments Mod
I'm going with a similar system to you: read in order but only plan a bit at a time. I'm probably going to go with about a month at a time, just so any holds I have to put at the library can come through for me.