Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - Duke of Desire by Elizabeth Hoyt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Oct 11, 2017 11:24PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane #12)
by Elizabeth Hoyt (Goodreads Author)
4.03 · Rating details · 172 Ratings · 73 Reviews
A LADY OF LIGHT

Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane, #12) by Elizabeth Hoyt

Refined, kind, and intelligent, Lady Iris Jordan finds herself the unlikely target of a diabolical kidnapping. Her captors are the notoriously evil Lords of Chaos. When one of the masked-and nude!-Lords spirits her away to his carriage, she shoots him . . . only to find she may have been a trifle hasty.

A DUKE IN DEEPEST DARKNESS

Cynical, scarred, and brooding, Raphael de Chartres, the Duke of Dyemore, has made it his personal mission to infiltrate the Lords of Chaos and destroy them. Rescuing Lady Jordan was never in his plans. But now with the Lords out to kill them both, he has but one choice: marry the lady in order to keep her safe.

CAUGHT IN A WEB OF DANGER . . . AND DESIRE

Much to Raphael's irritation, Iris insists on being the sort of duchess who involves herself in his life-and bed. Soon he's drawn both to her quick wit and her fiery passion. But when Iris discovers that Raphael's past may be even more dangerous than the present, she falters. Is their love strong enough to withstand not only the Lords of Chaos but also Raphael's own demons?

Releasing 17 October - anyone is welcome to discuss the final full length novel in the very popular Maiden Lane series.
If you wish to discuss some aspect that will reveal too much information please use Spoiler tags.

message 2: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Awesome Lisa. I have pre-ordered it- only 5 days to go. *happy dance*

message 3: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3780 comments Mod
I have it pre-ordered this and hope to start when I get, but I may be a bit delayed.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 363 comments Totally in for this one. Can't wait!

message 5: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 584 comments I'm in for the last in the series

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments Just found out, there are two novellas being published this year I guess to really finish the series.

Once Upon a Maiden Lane (Maiden Lane, #12.5) by Elizabeth Hoyt Once Upon a Christmas Eve (Maiden Lane, #12.6) by Elizabeth Hoyt

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments I'll join this BR :)

message 8: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments YAY!

message 9: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Just found out, there are two novellas being published this year I guess to really finish the series.

Once Upon a Maiden Lane (Maiden Lane, #12.5) by Elizabeth HoytOnce Upon a Christmas Eve (Maiden Lane, #12.6) by Elizabeth Hoyt"

I am surprised one of these is not the story of Peach and Joseph Tinbox. I had thought she was going to write their story.

message 10: by Jan (last edited Oct 16, 2017 07:20PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments I started this today. So far, although I like both MCs, I'm finding the plot points in this early part of the book stretching credulity just a tad. I also feel that (view spoiler) But I will read on.

message 11: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Will start this afternoon.

message 12: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments And we're off and racing- not really. Just started :)

message 13: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Started with the first chapter and am off to bed.

message 14: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Through Chapter 2

A couple general thoughts: this feels like a good Halloween time read. Creepy and eerie.

This is a theme that Hoyt has done well with in the past. Scarred, cantankerous hero & overlooked widow. Similar to Raven Prince in this but much darker in tone.

Love her writing style. This may not end as one of my favorites of hers, but her style is smooth and keeps me reading, regardless.

message 15: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Very apt comments. I have the same thoughts. Enjoyable to read (even though extremely dark) but is not a favourite for me.

message 16: by Jan (last edited Oct 17, 2017 03:44PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments Me too - that is, so far it's not looking like it's going to be a fav. I'm in Chapter 6.

The Lords Of Chaos stuff is so creepy and foul. Yes, sadly societies just like this did exist, though. :/ So it's not too unrealistic in that sense. But, all of a sudden they're (view spoiler). I found that a bit hard to swallow.

Also I'm not finding the sexy stuff sexy. They have sexy thoughts at (for me) such inappropriate (or unrealistic) times. To me, sex would be the LAST THING on your mind when (view spoiler). And the way Iris finds his SWEATY ARMPIT sexy when she is washing him? Just no.

Still, I'm hanging in there. I want to see their relationship develop a bit when Dyemore is well. And I want to see how the horrible Lords Of Chaos are destroyed. (At least, I hope they will be destroyed!)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments Your comments have me intrigued... starting today. (Resisting spoilers... but it's a struggle, LOL)

message 18: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 584 comments HeeHeeHee...I am trying to avoid peeking into the spoiler. Can't wait to get book and start reading...ughhh LOL

message 19: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Jan130 wrote: "Me too - that is, so far it's not looking like it's going to be a fav. I'm in Chapter 6.

The Lords Of Chaos stuff is so creepy and foul. Yes, sadly societies just like this did exist, though. :/ ..."

Ah, the sweaty, HAIRY armpit (where are you, the hairy armpit fangirls??) Did make me laugh.

message 20: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments BTW, I have finished it but will only comment on what others have written/read so far.

message 21: by Jan (last edited Oct 17, 2017 06:14PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments Wow! Finished already, Ursula! It does look like it's not going to be a long read, but I'm still only at about 1/3 way through. Can't wait to hear your thoughts, but I appreciate you are holding off so as to avoid spoilers.

Glad I'm not the only one that laughed at the armpit. Ewwww! I don't mind if it's hairy, but it's gotta be CLEAN! And this one most def would not have been...... :/

message 22: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments I am hopeless- I find it really hard to not finish a book once I have started. Nothing has changed for me since I used to keep reading under the doona with a torch when I was a kid! And my son is the same. I used to take his book away because he would not stop when he was younger. Or he would say- just one more chapter, and then I would have to write the number DOWN because I would come back upstairs 20 minutes later and he would show me he still hadn't finished the chapter- except it was three chapters ON in the book, the sneaky rat! But I guess there are worse things to be addicted to :)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments ..... One more Chapter, please Mum... Oh my, that brings back memories. Us reading people are all the same.. in a very good way.

message 24: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Yes! I was sneaking flashlights under bedspreads to keep reading without detection...didn't always work

message 25: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Jan130 wrote: "Me too - that is, so far it's not looking like it's going to be a fav. I'm in Chapter 6.

The Lords Of Chaos stuff is so creepy and foul. Yes, sadly societies just like this did exist, though. :/ ..."

I did find (view spoiler)

message 26: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments Joanna wrote: "I did find (view spoiler) "

Yep, I absolutely agree. That's what I meant about not finding things too sexy (and there is the ARMPIT!) But, as I read on it may improve on that front.

message 27: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Joanna wrote: "Yes! I was sneaking flashlights under bedspreads to keep reading without detection...didn't always work"

I know- my mum used to catch me and take away the torch!

message 28: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Jan130 wrote: "Joanna wrote: "I did find (view spoiler) "

Yep, I absolutely agree. That's what I meant about not finding things too sexy (and there is the ARMPIT!) But, as I read on it may improve on that front."

Hmmm, I must have skimmed through the armpit part. I didn't notice and I think I am to the point where this discussion started.

message 29: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Chapter 5 was a tough one. I am wishing (view spoiler)

message 30: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Ok, never mind. My percentages of how far along I am in the book must be different than yours, Jan. I have read about the armpits! This is bringing to mind Isabella and Winters scene where she is caring for him.

message 31: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments I'm more than half way through now, but still not really feelin' it. It's not that long since I read the rest of the series, (May/June/July this year, I think? Something like that). But it doesn't really feel like it's part of this series. Maybe it's because it's mostly been at Dyemore's country estate so far. A long way from Maiden Lane LOL. Yes there have been a couple of mentions of the Duke of Kyle and Alf, but apart from that, so far it almost feels like a standalone. And so far it's not my fav of the series.......

And it all seems a bit rushed too. The marriage and the falling in lust/love seem to happen so quickly that I'm not feeling convinced. The story idea is a good one, and I'm keen to see the Lords of Chaos taken down, but I hope Dyemore's back story isn't going to be too nasty and horrible. 0_0

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments I'm up to Chapter 10, ooh la la! Things are hotting up.

I agree, Jan.(view spoiler)

And definitely doesn't really feel part of the Maiden Lane series. I love the series and was so happy when she continued it on but maybe she would have been better to package these last three books as a spin off series or even a standalone trilogy.

But even after saying all that I'm still quite enjoying it.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments And...(view spoiler)

message 34: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments Ooh. Interesting thought, Lisa. I can't remember, but maybe??? I agree with your WTF in comment#32 spoiler.

message 35: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 584 comments Yeah finally got the book Hears to catching up to you all

message 36: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I am just doing one or two chapters a day, but will probably have time this weekend to finish up.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments Finished it. I felt a bit disappointed in it somehow for the last book in the series. I'll chat further when more people have finished. I rate it a 3.5 stars.

message 38: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments Oh well done Lisa. Fast work! I'm at 60%.

message 39: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments Welp, I've finished, and sadly, in the end I found it one of the least engaging of the whole series. 2 stars :/ I've posted my review. Some of you are still reading I guess, so I won't comment too much here just yet.

BTW did anyone else notice the hot guy in the cover pic has a perfect face. WTH??? One of the key features of our H is his dramatically scarred face. Come on peeps. Don't treat us like fools with your covers that don't reflect the book.

message 40: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I don't mind if you all go ahead and comment. I should be done in a day or so.

message 41: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments OK. Thanks Joanna. Well, the info about the abuse Raphael suffered at his father's hands was a bit too much info for me. The themes of the book were quite dark, violent and horrible, apart of course from the love between Raphael and Iris. But our damaged H was just a bit TOO damaged for me. And his relationship with Iris just didn't convince. Her character seemed a little 'flat'.

Also, as I've mentioned, the sexy times weren't all that sexy for me, especially when they were kissing or thinking lustful thoughts while Raphael was feverish and had a painful, pussy wound in his shoulder and was still all dirty and sweaty. Just no.

Overall it didn't really feel like it belonged to the rest of the series. And it all felt a bit rushed. So, I was disappointed.

message 42: by Ursula (last edited Oct 20, 2017 11:27PM) (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments I am with you there, Jan. I finished it a few days ago and have been mulling it over, as I haven't written my review yet. I would probably go 2.5 stars because I still wanted to read to the end, but seems a very tenuous connection to the old Maiden Laners!
The story of Raphael's father was horrendous. Reminded me a bit of The Highwayman with what happened to Dorian in prison, and another one I've forgotten the name of where the hero offers himself to the men in prison to protect a younger, weaker prisoner (was it Between the Devil and Desire?)
First I read pussy wound (as in a kitten!) then I realised you meant full of pus:) Yep, that was a bit of a stretch. I did think it was awful how he got the scar and why. That made me sad.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments It seems we are all pretty much in agreement that this wasn't EH's best work. Very true it was miles away not only in location but the overall feeling of the books in the earlier part of the series.

Really those last three books probably would have been better as a spin off trilogy from Maiden Lane.

And yes Jan. I thought the same thing about the lack of scar on the cover.

message 44: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursi) | 283 comments Oh yes- well-spotted on the cover, Jan. I must admit I don't pay them much attention. Only the darling armpit hair one got my attention😜
I like your idea of the spin-off, Lisa. That context would have made more sense.

message 45: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments Yes a spin-off trilogy would have been better, I agree. Good suggestion.

message 46: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Finished! I think I am in the same boat as others here. Not sure on my final rating yet, and will add thoughts in a bit.

message 47: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (last edited Oct 21, 2017 09:41PM) (new)

If I had, as I wanted, been able to read this quickly as soon as I got it, I think it would have been too dark and heavy. Spreading it out helped. I do feel as though it wasn't fully fleshed out. It probably would have been more enjoyable if I hadn't read the whole series and all her other HRs.

Ah! I just had a fright, hearing the loudest, longest thunder in my life in the midst of writing this.

For all his torment, Raphael didn't seem very brooding. He was gentle and kind for the most part, just walled off in a way. I know some haven't liked Iris, but I didn't have an issue with her. I liked both, but neither were super compelling. They felt similar to other characters she's written and a lesser version. Overall, it didn't feel very fresh. It was Hoyt, clearly, but it felt a bit like recycled Hoyt. If this had been the first book I had read of hers, it would have been better. You could get her story telling abilities, her sense of drama, the earthiness in the sexual attraction, and the delightful fairy tales, but when you've read much better by her, this one feels a bit of a let down.

message 48: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments Joanna wrote: "If I had, as I wanted, been able to read this quickly as soon as I got it, I think it would have been too dark and heavy. Spreading it out helped. I do feel as though it wasn't fully fleshed out. I..."

Joanna you have expressed a lot of my thoughts about this book really well. Yes, it 'didn't feel very fresh'. Exactly.

message 49: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Jan130 wrote: "Joanna wrote: "If I had, as I wanted, been able to read this quickly as soon as I got it, I think it would have been too dark and heavy. Spreading it out helped. I do feel as though it wasn't fully..."

It seems obvious that she ran out of steam. I also agree as said in this thread that this would have been better as a spinoff. This had no mention of Maiden Lane, and it seems like there could have been something.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 286 comments Really well said Joanna.

We have two more novellas and then I guess the series is really finished.

I wonder what Elizabeth Hoyt will be planning next. I hope she stays in historical romance. When she is on her game she's great.

« previous 1