Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption Unbroken discussion

Unbroken: The best non-fiction book I have ever read.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Russell (new)

Russell Midgley Unbroken is the best non-fiction book I have read. It is about the true story of the life of Louie Zamperini, and starts with how he went from becoming a troublemaker kid, to an Olympic Athlete. He gets drafted into the air force, and when his plane falls to the ground, his nightmare begins. Louie somehow manages to survive on a raft at sea for 47 days, breaking all previous records for survival time. Eventually he was captured by the Japanese and is forced into their brutal POW camps. He manages to survive brutal treatment of a number of Japanese guards, one notable example was a man known only as the bird. He managed to survive all this to the end of the war, and after a drinking problem, he becomes a happy man living a full 97 years before his death in 2014.
This story had a big impact on my life. The trial, or crucible Louie had to go through made my problems seem a bit more bearable. His story touched my heart.
This was an incredible book, a for sure 10 out of 10. I loved the way the author put statistics about survivors of his scenario, just to make the whole thing more surreal. The part at the end when he throws out all his whiskey and turns his life around was especially touching. Such a good book shouldn’t be underrated. I loved it.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with a hard experience. His experience can make yours seem easier to bear. Or you can just read it for fun.
I have read 100% of this book.

Tami Bellinger This is one of my favorite non-fiction books too! It's a page turner.

Melissa This needs to be read in every history class. Informative and an amazing story! Not to be missed.

Matthew Clifford I certainly agree. A gripping narrative and page turner. Certainly one of my favorites.