Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments Someone knows any books about Africa (not Egypt) and africans? It could be before european colonization, specially if it have african POV. But it could be after 15th century too, but, with african POV.

I prefer characters that have not be turned into slaves, I want something beyond that. As other books about the other people in the world (greeks, romans, saxons, mongols etc) have this own history.

Thank you!

message 2: by Margaret, Sherlockian Sheila (new)

Margaret (margyw) | 3299 comments Hmmmm. Interesting. I know there was an alternate history series with an African setting, but I'm not aware of an genuine historical novels.

message 3: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19504 comments Tough.

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but it is one of only two I can think of. Leo Africanus by Amin Maalouf

The other is ancient and has Romans in it too. Pride of Carthage by David Anthony Durham Plenty of African POV in it also though.

message 4: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 330 comments Rafael wrote: "Someone knows any books about Africa (not Egypt) and africans? It could be before european colonization, specially if it have african POV. But it could be after 15th century too, but, with african ..."

Alan Paton's Cry, the Beloved Country came to mind. Set in South Africa, it tells the story of a Zulu pastor and his son. It is a beautiful story, beautifully told. But it is set in the 20th century so it may not be what you want.

message 5: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 330 comments Rafael, if you're interested in travel books, there's The Travels of Ibn Battutah. He was a Moroccan in the 14th C who traveled to around 40 different countries. It took him 29 years. He documented what he saw. It's not historical fiction, but it is a fascinating exploration of parts of the world in the 14thC.

message 6: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments Terri wrote: "Tough.

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but it is one of only two I can think of. Leo Africanus by Amin Maalouf

The other is ancient and has Romans in it too. [bookcover:Pride of..."

Leo Africanus seems be good, thank you! Pride of Carthage was not a was looking for, although I have it already in my to read shelf, but thank you anyway!

message 7: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments Tamara wrote: "Rafael wrote: "Someone knows any books about Africa (not Egypt) and africans? It could be before european colonization, specially if it have african POV. But it could be after 15th century too, but..."

Although this book was not what I was looking for I am happy that you suggested it. it seems be a fascinating book.

message 8: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments Tamara wrote: "Rafael, if you're interested in travel books, there's The Travels of Ibn Battutah. He was a Moroccan in the 14th C who traveled to around 40 different countries. It took him 29 years...."

I knew already Ibn Battuta, but never remember of add his books, thank you for that.

message 9: by Rafael (last edited Oct 12, 2017 10:09PM) (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments Thank you, Terri and Tamara! I have to filter my search, I am interested in the region above the Sahara, the also known as Black Africa, about the black people of Africa. If you know any hf about it, please, let me aware. Leo Africanus seems fit my search, so, books like that interests me too, but I have to specify my search to african POV.

But I am not been ungrateful to your suggestions, please, don't misunderstand me. I added them too.

message 10: by Faith (new)

Faith Rafael wrote: "Someone knows any books about Africa (not Egypt) and africans? It could be before european colonization, specially if it have african POV. But it could be after 15th century too, but, with african ..."

You could try this group. They have lists of books for each country.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 11: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (linwearcamenel) | 5 comments You might want to look into Segu by Maryse Conde. It's set in the kingdom of Segu just as Islam arrives in the eighteenth century.

I don't know how far back you want to go but Great Sky Woman is set in Africa at the dawn of human evolution, so it's more prehistoric than historical but it's still very good.

Also The God Who Begat a Jackal: A Novel is set in Ethiopia, in the seventeenth century.

message 12: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments Faith wrote: "Rafael wrote: "Someone knows any books about Africa (not Egypt) and africans? It could be before european colonization, specially if it have african POV. But it could be after 15th century too, but..."

I am more interested in the subject, not in any country or the author's nationality specifically, but thank you for the tip.

Betsy wrote: "You might want to look into Segu by Maryse Conde. It's set in the kingdom of Segu just as Islam arrives in the eighteenth century.

I don't know how far back you want to go but [book:..."

Oh, they interested me for sure. Thank you!

message 13: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (linwearcamenel) | 5 comments Rafael wrote: "Faith wrote: "Rafael wrote: "Someone knows any books about Africa (not Egypt) and africans? It could be before european colonization, specially if it have african POV. But it could be after 15th ce..."

You're welcome!