Play Book Tag discussion

City of Thieves
This topic is about City of Thieves
Archive: Other Books > City of Thieves / David Benioff. 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8342 comments It’s WWII in Leningrad, Russia. Lev and Kolya are in jail together, but are sent out to find a dozen eggs at a time when there is very little food to be found anywhere. Sorry, not a great summary. I guess that is just what starts it off, as Lev and Kolya travel together from there.

I listened to the audio and, like many audios, there were just too many parts that didn’t hold my attention (hence the sketchy summary). Parts were ok, though, and one part was quite horrifying. Overall, though, it was merely “ok” for me.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5815 comments Oh, that's too bad. I read it in text first and just loved it. Later I listened to the audio to refresh my memory for book club and I was NOT impressed with Ron Perlman's performance. I think if I had listened to the audio first, I would have rated it lower.

LINK to my review

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Oh, that's interesting. I do always wonder if it would have been different. Hard to tell sometimes.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3813 comments This reminds me of the audiobook conversation in the footnotes folder. Narrators totally make or break a book! I loved this, 5 stars. If you ever feel like trying again, this one may be worth it in print form.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8538 comments I never listen to audio, but it does seem that the narration can make or break a book.

LibraryCin | 8342 comments I agree. It definitely can make a difference. I'm not sure I will reread this one, but when I do reread, I do tend to try to do a format I didn't do the first time, but I also usually get library books, so it always depends what's available there, as well!

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I loved this book and found the audio perfect.

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6438 comments I'm glad that those of you who do audio indicate that you've read it that way . . .sometimes the reviews really diverge depending on the method of consumption!

Susie | 4488 comments They do don't they Anita? I am often steered either towards or away from audio based of PBT reviews. What would I do without you all?