The Reasons Why you wrote your book or books discussion

Book Title Choices > Goodreads Giveaway Program

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (new)

Alice (goodreadscomalicerene) My memoir, Becoming Alice, has just been listed on the Goodreads Giveaway Program. You have until September 9th to request a free signed copy. Hope you win and write a review for me. Good luck, Alice.

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice (goodreadscomalicerene) Hi MJ,

I have wondered the same thing, i.e. how to get all those hundreds of people, who signed up for the book who will not get one of the 5 copies, to actually break down and buy it. I don't think we can. They either buy it or not. The same thing holds true for all those people who put your book on their "to-read" shelf. There is no way to tell if they acually buy it "to read." And how in the world can you ask them.

We authors just need to put our books in front of their noses and hope for the best. I can't wait for my next sales report to see if all this is really working.

I think we all need a large dose of luck.
Best, Alice

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice (goodreadscomalicerene) Alice wrote: "Hi MJ,

When my book first came out, my efforts went into getting as many appearances at book clubs, libraries, temples, community centers, literary groups, etc. as I could. I also was able to get quite a few book signings at local Barnes and Noble and Borders stores, and even some independant stores.

Those stores are not so interested in doing book signing right now with the downturn in the economy. At the moment I'm focusing on getting as large a presence on the internet that I possibly can. I'm doing the social networking sites, the author/reader sites, the sites that do reviews and interviews.

I wish I could tell you that it is all working. I don't know yet. But keep posted.

My best to you,
Alice

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice (goodreadscomalicerene) Oh, I forgot to tell you that I do a blog. Check it out: http://alicerene.wordpress.com

And do leave a comment, even if it is just to say you were there. I don't have a ton of viewers, and even those that do read my blog seem to be "silent followers."

Cheers,
Alice

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Blake | 9 comments Alice wrote: "Alice wrote: "Hi MJ,

When my book first came out, my efforts went into getting as many appearances at book clubs, libraries, temples, community centers, literary groups, etc. as I could. I also ..."

Alice, what are the internet sites you're marketing on?

message 6: by Alice (new)

Alice (goodreadscomalicerene) Hi MJ and Elizabeth,

About my internet sites, thee are a bunch of them but I like some better than others. Of course, goodreads is the front runner. Then there are the majors like Twitter, Facebook, Aamd Linkedin. Of those I haven't got the knack of Facebook and Twitter yet, but I'm learning a lot on LinkedIn. Then there is my blog, http://alicerene.wordpress.com which I like because it gives me chance to write. And now and then there seem to be some readers. There is also AuthorsDen and Shelfari and theLibrary Thing which I don't work very often. there is only so much time. Oh, I forgot She Writes and Skype an Author, also somewhat dormant.

Do you guys have any other sites worth knowing?

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Blake | 9 comments Alice wrote: "Hi MJ and Elizabeth,

About my internet sites, thee are a bunch of them but I like some better than others. Of course, goodreads is the front runner. Then there are the majors like Twitter, Faceb..."

Thank you for these ideas. I do Twitter (twitter.com/ElizabethBlake) and have sold a few books from there.
Facebook I only use for family & friends.
I'm on LinkedIn but don't understand it and haven't done much with it. I just sit there. We should link in together.
I hadn't heard of the other ones you mentioned, so again thx for those ideas.
You're right - only so much time! :-)