Tartan Noir discussion

Welcome! Please share your favourite Tartan Noir author.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellymartin21) | 4 comments Mod
My favourite is Stuart MacBride. He's the first I read and remains at the top of my list. I enjoy the humour he infuses into terribly grim stories.

message 2: by C.J. (new)

C.J. | 1 comments Hahaha! I was just about to write Stuart MacBride. He's just as funny in person. Also love Chris Brookmyre, Val McDermid & Ian Rankin, amongst others...

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Excellent authors one and all! I hope to one day attend one of the events featuring Mr MacBride, he's the author I'd most like to meet or hear speak. :)

C.J.Laurenson wrote: "Hahaha! I was just about to write Stuart MacBride. He's just as funny in person. Also love Chris Brookmyre, Val McDermid & Ian Rankin, amongst others..."

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Mauro wrote: "Rankin is one of the best, yet I received a review in the Herald that suggests that I am quite decent too?
Kertamen"

Congrats on that. I'll have to look into grabbing a copy.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Hi Guys - nice to meet you.

Favourites are: Louise Welsh, Ian Rankin but also have lots of books to read by Val McDiarmid and Stuart McBride

Anyone got a favourite book by any of these four authors?

Reading lots of crime fiction at the moment but especially two guys called Luca Veste and Mark Seddon - very good.
Have a special interest in Luca as his stories are based around my neck of the woods - ie. Liverpool (The Red half - not the Blue :) )
You heard of these two?

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Hi Ian! You've listed so many great authors. :)

As far as favourites are concerned, The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid is a masterpiece in my humble opinion. I love every word Stuart MacBride has written, but if I have to choose one book, it would be Flesh House. Not only was the story well done, but I feel it was a significant moment in the development of the Logan McRae character.

I haven't heard of Mark Seddon, so I'll definitely look into him. I have the first by Luca Veste on my to be read stack...looking forward to diving in. :)

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Kelly

Luca Veste - great story...just take care getting into taxi's!!

Val McD - not read that one yet (but on the shelf)...read the one summit to do with Bone...and the Distant Echo...both really enjoyable

Stu MacBride - Flesh House...only 1 I have read. Good one, bit gruesome (great stuff). Once again, got about 7 more to read.

Anyway, off to do myself a nice big STEAK (while reading thru Flesh House again...chop!)....luvly jubbly!