Shut Up & Read discussion

Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1)
This topic is about Red Rising
Archives- Buddy Reads > Red Rising by Pierce Brown

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh | 16379 comments Mod
We will be starting this Monday. Everyone is welcome to join.

message 2: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Are you ladies ready to start? I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did the first time I read it.

message 3: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12572 comments Mod
I started last night. So far I like the author's writing style. He's very descriptive. The slang terms are going to take some time getting used to :)

message 4: by Vaughn (last edited Oct 16, 2017 12:35PM) (new) - added it

Vaughn | 3439 comments Hope to start tonight after work.

message 5: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "I started last night. So far I like the author's writing style. He's very descriptive. The slang terms are going to take some time getting used to :)"

I understand about the slang terms. What do you think of Darrow? The caste system sucks!

Elle (elleay) | 144 comments Depends on which end of the caste system you're on I suppose. That there is one in general - yeah, that sucks. Even though his caste makes him grow up faster and take on more responsibility than we're used to Darrow still has a lot of growing up to do. He has a good heart though.

message 7: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "I understand about the slang terms. What do you think of Darrow? The caste system sucks! "

It's an interesting system, that's for sure. Slaves who don't even realize they are slaves. I guess that's the best way to do it to prevent revolt!

Darrow seems pretty level headed. Sometimes he seems very young, which I know he is, and sometimes he seems mature past his age.

message 8: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Oct 17, 2017 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elle wrote: "Depends on which end of the caste system you're on I suppose. That there is one in general - yeah, that sucks. Even though his caste makes him grow up faster and take on more responsibility than we..."

I think he definitely has an advantage starting at the bottom and being thrown into the Golds later in life. Being a Red hardened him and prepared him for a tough life...Unlike the Golds who were pampered and raised thinking they were the best and deserved everything.

message 9: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle wrote: "Depends on which end of the caste system you're on I suppose. That there is one in general - yeah, that sucks. Even though his caste makes him grow up faster and take on more responsibility than we..."

You are right that it depends on your perspective. I was looking at it mainly from the Red perspective. Yes, they grow up fast, work hard, barely have enough food to live, denied the right to go where they want, sing and dance how they want, and die young to provide resources for the Golds. The Laurel is what the Reds strive for, but even that is rigged. I like Darrow. Yes, he is a little naïve but his love for his family and most of all Eo is endearing.

message 10: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

It broke my heart watching what happened to Eo through Darrow's eyes. She was his world.

message 11: by Elle (last edited Oct 17, 2017 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle (elleay) | 144 comments Leigh wrote: "It broke my heart watching what happened to Eo through Darrow's eyes. She was his world."

Yep, I was weeping fierce. But I do think what happened to Eo gave Darrow the motivation to take the chance/assignment to infiltrate the Golds (and sustain him through that grueling preparation!) instead of staying where he was with the Reds (the devil you know versus the devil you don't) and feeling powerless and eventually becoming a bitter waste.

Have to say though, what happened to Eo, that's when I perked up and took notice of Pierce Brown as a writer. Any author who is willing to do that to one beloved character may do it to another. It put me on notice that no character was safe. "Stuff"was going to happen.

message 12: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 3439 comments I'm behind. Hard to actually read at work. I'll get there

message 13: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 3439 comments Pretty good so far. Mars. Hmm. They are in the mine. Haven't learned why his father's life was taken yet.

message 14: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Oct 20, 2017 02:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle wrote: "Leigh wrote: "It broke my heart watching what happened to Eo through Darrow's eyes. She was his world."

Yep, I was weeping fierce. But I do think what happened to Eo gave Darrow the motivation to ..."

You are right her death did motivate Darrow. Of course that was why she did it. Eo wanted Darrow to make a difference/stand for their people.

What do you ladies think of the new cast of characters? (view spoiler)

message 15: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

What do you ladies think of Titus? (view spoiler)

message 16: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 3439 comments Ok. So this language. Wow! I'm just pretending it's ole English.

message 17: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vaughn wrote: "Ok. So this language. Wow! I'm just pretending it's ole English."

I know! It takes some getting used to. I love that there is a language all of their own that goes with the setting/timing of the book, though. You'll get used to it :)

message 18: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "What do you ladies think of Titus?"

That was an interesting twist... (view spoiler)

I really enjoyed this book. Looking forward to the next one!

message 19: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh - (view spoiler)

message 20: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "Leigh wrote: "What do you ladies think of Titus?"

That was an interesting twist... I get why Darrow had to take him out. Titus had gone too far and whatever reason he was turned Gold and put into ..."

You are right. Cassius knew what would happen to Julian. I was sad about Darrow and Cassius friendship. What did you think of Sevro and Mustang?

message 21: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "Leigh - [spoilers removed]"

I was on the fence about that one. I like her and I like them as a team. I was sad about Pax. Apollo is never good.

message 22: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "What did you think of Sevro and Mustang?"

I love Sevro! I think he'd make a fantastic ally. He's a beast, lol.

message 23: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle (elleay) | 144 comments Sevro is my type of person - he exists outside the box. In this society everyone is pretty much set in their caste with its associated set of rules and expected behaviors for each. Even in the Gold caste, if you color outside the lines, there are consequences (usually a loss of the much sought-after status within the group). Sevro just busts out of those lines and really does not give a whoopty-do about them or anyone who looks down on him for how he operates. Such a cool character.

message 24: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle wrote: "Sevro is my type of person - he exists outside the box. In this society everyone is pretty much set in their caste with its associated set of rules and expected behaviors for each. Even in the Gold..."

I totally agree! He is one of my favorite characters. Can't wait to read the next one together.

message 25: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vaughn, how is the reading going?

message 26: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

photo Halloween-16.jpg

message 27: by Vaughn (new) - added it

Vaughn | 3439 comments My reading is going very slow. I'm hoping to get a copy of the audio but my library lost it. Xmas has started at work and it not easy to read but I am still reading. If you guys need to move on Im ok with that.

message 28: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vaughn wrote: "My reading is going very slow. I'm hoping to get a copy of the audio but my library lost it. Xmas has started at work and it not easy to read but I am still reading. If you guys need to move on Im ..."

I'm still on the waiting list for this book. I will let you know when it becomes available.

message 29: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri, do you want to start something else?

message 30: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "Sheri, do you want to start something else?"

Sure...have any ideas?