Read Women discussion

Archive > December RAtW: Europe

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise, Group Founder (last edited Oct 12, 2017 02:13PM) (new)

Louise | 680 comments Mod
As I am going to be away and out of internet range for the first half of November, December nominations are going up early.

For our December Read Around the World we will be reading a book set in... Europe

Books set in any European country are acceptable for nomination. The author does not have to be from said country (though it might be worth noting if they are). Also acceptable are books set on continent, but where the country is never firmly identified in the text.

Once the winner is picked, we will strike that country off the list next time we visit Europe

Criteria
1. Book must be written by a woman (transwomen and women writing under male pseudonyms are women)
2. Book must be set (or at least half-set) in any European country.
3. No books that have already been group reads (see our list of previous reads)
4. You cannot nominate your own book

Nomination Rules
1. Please identify the title , authors name , and the country (if identifiable) your book is set in when nominating.
2. Ideally use the Goodreads 'add book/author' button when nominating, otherwise your nomination may be missed.
3. Try to avoid using this thread for chatter and don't link to any book that isn't your nomination as it makes it very hard to locate what are actual nominations and what is just discussion.
4. One nomination per person.

Useful Links
list of Countries by Continent (wikipedia)
Alphabetical List of Countries and Dependent Territories

Nominations will close on the 18 October when the Poll will go up

Nominations so far:
Distant Music: A Novel by Lee Langley (Portugal)
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (East Prussia [covers parts of modern-day Russia/Poland/Lithuania])
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (England)
Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (Switzerland)
Let Me Tell You About a Man I Knew by Susan Fletcher (France)
The Heart by Maylis de Kerangal (France)
The Good People by Hannah Kent (Ireland)

message 2: by Anabela (new)

Anabela Matos | 9 comments I nominate Distant Music: A Novel by Lee Langley set in Madeira Island, Portugal.

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie I nominate Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys which takes place in East Prussia (now divided into parts of Russia, Poland, and Lithuania)

message 4: by Kairia (last edited Oct 11, 2017 07:48PM) (new)

Kairia I nominate Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, set in Hertfordshire and Derbyshire, England.

message 5: by Lyn (new)

Lyn Jensen | 22 comments I'm not getting the link to work but I suggest "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley, set in Switzerland and Scotland.

message 6: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle (iamaya) | 92 comments Hello, I would like to nominate Let Me Tell You About a Man I Knew by Susan Fletcher by Susan Fletcher , a fiction about Van Gogh's time in the South of France.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1891 comments Mod
I nominate The Heart by Maylis de Kerangal, set in France. Longlisted for the Man Booker International Prize 2016.

message 8: by Louise, Group Founder (new)

The Good People by Hannah Kent - Ireland

message 9: by Louise, Group Founder (new)

Nominations closed. Poll going up shortly