Read Women discussion

Archive > November Nominations: LGBTQ

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise, Group Founder (last edited Oct 18, 2017 02:25PM) (new)

Louise | 680 comments Mod
Nominations for our November read are now open. And the theme is...LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer).

This one is harder to define, and I am going to request that each nomination comes with a short explanation of how the book fits the theme. Ideally the book itself should deal with one of these themes but, given the historic and current marganilasation of LGBTQ voices, books written by LBGTQ authors that deal more implicitly with the subject will be accepted as well.

Criteria:
1. Book must be by a female author (transwomen and women using male pseudonyms are women).
2. Book must in some major way incorporate some element of LGBTQ representation.
3. No books that have already been group reads (see our list of previous reads)
4. You cannot nominate a book you have written yourself.

How to Nominate:
1. Give both the title of the book and the author's name when nominating to avoid mix-ups. Title only nominations may be ignored
2. Please use the 'add book/author' button when nominating otherwise your nomination risks being missed.
3. Please elaborate (shortly!) on how the book fits the theme.
4. Try to avoid using this thread for chatter as it makes it very hard to locate what are actual nominations and what is just discussion. If you really must discuss something, please drop it in a spoiler tag.
5. One nomination per person.

Nominations will close on 18 October when the poll will go up. Poll will close on 25 October

Nominations so far:
The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith
Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg
Dreadnought by April Daniels
Impassioned Clay by Stevie Davies
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock's Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout by Laura Jane Grace
The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson
The World Unseen by Shamim Sarif
My Story by Caroline "Tula" Cossey
Uncovered: How I Left Hasidic Life and Finally Came Home by Leah Lax
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie I nominate The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith. I will defer to part of the description on the GR page to describe how this fits the theme.

Therese Belivet, a stage designer, is trapped in a department-store day job, whose salvation arrives one day in the form of Carol Aird, an alluring suburban housewife in the throes of a divorce. They fall in love and set out across the United States, pursued by a private investigator.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1796 comments Mod
I nominate Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg.

message 4: by Mimimimimi (new)

Mimimimimi | 10 comments I nominate Dreadnought by April Daniels.

It's the story of a trans girl who gains superpowers and it's written by a trans woman, so I think it fits the bill.

message 5: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 334 comments I'd like to nominate Impassioned Clay by Stevie Davies. The central character is a Quaker lesbian. It's dual period and the 17th century plot line is amazing and intense.

message 6: by Anabela (new)

Anabela Matos | 9 comments I nominate The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller because it is the story of two friends and lovers, the Greek princes Achilles and Patroclus.

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 7 comments I nominate The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson. From Goodreads:

Maggie Nelson's The Argonauts is a genre-bending memoir, a work of "autotheory" offering fresh, fierce, and timely thinking about desire, identity, and the limitations and possibilities of love and language. At its center is a romance: the story of the author's relationship with the artist Harry Dodge. This story, which includes Nelson's account of falling in love with Dodge, who is fluidly gendered, as well as her journey to and through a pregnancy, offers a firsthand account of the complexities and joys of (queer) family-making.

Writing in the spirit of public intellectuals such as Susan Sontag and Roland Barthes, Nelson binds her personal experience to a rigorous exploration of what iconic theorists have said about sexuality, gender, and the vexed institutions of marriage and child-rearing. Nelson's insistence on radical individual freedom and the value of caretaking becomes the rallying cry of this thoughtful, unabashed, uncompromising book.

message 8: by jimmy (new)

jimmy Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock's Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout by Laura Jane Grace. It's an incredible memoir about struggling with gender identity in the world of music!

message 9: by Molly (last edited Oct 12, 2017 03:03PM) (new)

Molly (mollyog) I nominate The World Unseen by Shamim Sarif.

I’m suggesting this book because it centers LGBTQ women of color and has a 4.1 rating on Goodreads.

From Wikipedia: In 1950’s South Africa, free-spirited Amina has broken all the rules of her own conventional Indian community, and the new apartheid-led government, by running a cafe with Jacob, her “coloured” business partner. When Amina meets Miriam, a young wife and mother, their unexpected attraction pushes conservative Miriam to question the rules that bind her. When Amina helps Miriam’s sister-in-law to hide from the police, a chain of events is set in motion that changes both women forever.

message 10: by Suanne (new)

Suanne (goodreadscomeuser_suanne) | 1 comments I nominate Uncovered By Leah Lax. Uncovered is the first memoir to tell of a gay woman leaving the Hasidic fold. Told in understated, crystalline prose, Lax begins her story as a young teen leaving her liberal, secular home to become a Hasidic Jew, then plumbs the nuances of her arranged marriage, fundamentalist faith, and Hasidic motherhood, as her creative, sexual, and spiritual longings shimmer beneath the surface.

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) I nominate My Story by Caroline "Tula" Cossey by Caroline "Tula" Cossey it is a story of her life as first a man, then transsexual woman and model in the early 1990's.

message 12: by Heather May (last edited Oct 17, 2017 07:19PM) (new)

Heather May | 4 comments I nominate Fried Green Tomatoes at Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. The LGBTQ theme is quite subtle, but I think it's a tale that beautifully portrays the depth, beauty and strength of a relationship between two women, which reaches beyond a sexual context.

message 13: by Louise, Group Founder (new)

Louise | 680 comments Mod
Nominations are now closed. Poll will be up soon.