Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > New Kindle Oasis Model (October 31, 2017)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK For those who haven’t seen it yet, Amazon announced a new version of the Kindle Oasis shipping out at the end of the month. Below are some of the new features that stood out when I was looking over the info. Check the actual product pages for more details and to confirm that I didn’t miss or misstate anything.

* It’s waterproof (up to 2 meters, 60 minutes).

* The screen is larger – 7” versus 6”. Its dimensions are 6.3” x 5.6” x 0.13-0.33”. The original Oasis dimensions were 5.6” x 4.8” x 0.13-0.33”.

* It’s heavier, as expected, due to the larger size. The new model is 6.8 oz without the cover. The original Oasis is 4.6 oz. For other comparisons, the Voyage is 6.3 oz and the Paperwhite is 7.2 oz.

* It can play audible books using Bluetooth headphones/speakers. (The device itself doesn’t have speakers.)

* Storage capacity is increased, presumably because audiobooks will require more space. Options are 8GB or 32GB. The original Oasis had 4GB.

* The cover no longer includes a battery and is now an optional accessory. The battery life is estimated at up to 6 weeks. The original Oasis estimated 2 weeks for the Oasis by itself + 6 weeks for the cover.

* I didn’t see this on the Amazon product page, but I saw an engadget article with a photo and comments indicating it will offer inverted text colors. (White text on a black background.)

I have the original Oasis and love it. I don’t plan to upgrade to the new one, but I’ll look forward to reading what people think of it once it ships.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (marygoblue) | 2 comments YouKneeK wrote: "For those who haven’t seen it yet, Amazon announced a new version of the Kindle Oasis shipping out at the end of the month. Below are some of the new features that stood out when I was looking over..."

I also have and love the original Oasis. However, this one is drawing me like a siren song. Not the waterproof part because I take showers and so far none of my Kindles have ever been in danger by water. Of course, there is always the possibility of overturning a glass of water on it, so there's that.

The attraction for me is the larger size and the ability to reverse the screen to white on black which has been verified now in multiple places. Len Edgerly in his Kindle Chronicles podcast was at the official unveiling earlier this month but they were not allowed to talk about it till today. Also the bluetooth for audiobooks may come in handy. Not looking forward to its being heavier, though. I will definitely post here when I get it.

message 3: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK Mary wrote: "Not looking forward to its being heavier, though. I will definitely post here when I get it."

I’ll look forward to reading what you think of it, especially since you have the original Oasis to compare it to. I’ll be interested to hear what you think of its weight once you've had a chance to read on it for a while.

I did kind of like the idea of the larger size, but my current Oasis is so comfortable to hold that I don’t want a device that weighs 148% as much. Depending on the weight distribution, maybe it won’t be that noticeable, but I usually read on the smallest font so I don’t feel like I do a lot of page turning anyway. I’m also glad they got rid of the battery-in-the-cover gimmick; it’s the one thing I’m not that crazy about with the current Oasis.

The waterproof aspect wasn’t a draw for me, either. If I had a pool at my own home I would probably feel differently, but my Kindle isn’t around water that often unless I’m in a public place. In that case, I worry more about theft than water damage and prefer to take an older model that I’m not very attached to. I also rarely listen to audiobooks. When I do, it’s usually in the car so I use Android Auto on my phone.

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 54 comments I am so, so, so tempted to pre-order the new Oasis. I have the wifi only Voyage and the new Oasis has the things that I would have missed like the adaptive light and page press buttons. And 7 inch screen!

However I'm leery of getting the very first batch because I had the pink & yellow lighting and had to return two Voyages until the third wasn't so noticeable.

message 5: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 50 comments I prefer the pink/yellow lighting because it's easier on the eyes in the dark!

message 6: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 41 comments I still have my original 2nd generation kindle. It still works well but the new kindle oasis sounds really good. Very tempting.

KentuckyDarlin' (kentuckydarlin) | 5 comments I have ordered the new Oasis. The 32 GB is what drew me in. Not crazy about it being larger and heavier, but willing to give it a try. Supposed to arrive 10/31, the day before I have hand surgery. How lucky is that? Will take me awhile to download my books....can't wait to get my new toy!!

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 101 comments Just curious...what's the "draw" of 32 GB?

I have a Voyage. It has 4GB of storage. I have a smidge over 2200 books on it without problem.

By that yardstick, a 32 GB Oasis could have 16,000 books without exceeding capacity.

So...I'm at a loss to understand what benefit there is to having a device which is, as I understand it, simply a very fancy e-reader, with that much "in-house" memory?

Eric-the-ever-inquiring

KentuckyDarlin' (kentuckydarlin) | 5 comments Eric wrote: "Just curious...what's the "draw" of 32 GB?

I have a Voyage. It has 4GB of storage. I have a smidge over 2200 books on it without problem.

By that yardstick, a 32 GB Oasis could have 16,000 books ..."

@ Eric, I'm currently using the 1st Oasis. It's got a little over 1400 books ( a lot of them are bundles) on it and I have just a little over 400mb left on it...and that's only because I took the dictionary out. I have a total of over 4,000 books and 200 audiobooks. I won't download my entire library (I'd have to live to be 200 to get it done) but I like to have a large selection to choose from. I spend a lot of time in hospitals and doctors offices and sometimes wifi is spotty. I also take my 2017 Fire with me. Other day while waiting for test (was told would only have to wait a little while) I was able to watch an entire episode of the old Mission Impossible series from the 60's. My Kindle and Fire go everywhere with me so I can entertain myself. So you can see the draw of 32 GB.

message 10: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life) (carolesrandomlife) | 8 comments I pre-ordered the new Oasis. I think that the larger size is what really makes this device appeal to me. I decided to go with the 32 GB that includes cell connectivity. I don't think that I need the storage space but I wanted the cell service. I do also like that this device has the page turn buttons.

I have quite a few kindle devices: kindle keyboard, kindle basic, paperwhite, and voyage. The last oasis didn't appeal to me at all but with the changes they made with this release, I am quite excited to give it a try. The only thing that I wish it had was a headphone jack instead of relying on bluetooth for the audible books.

message 11: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK Eric wrote: "So...I'm at a loss to understand what benefit there is to having a device which is, as I understand it, simply a very fancy e-reader, with that much "in-house" memory?"

Now that the new Oasis has the ability to store and play audiobooks, space will be a larger concern for the people who take advantage of that. Audiobooks consume much more space than text-based e-books.

message 12: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 101 comments Thanks, all.

I knew audiobooks necessarily took up more space, but since I've never listened to one and have no intention of ever doing so, that aspect never occurred to me.

For what it's worth, the "never have" is because for the length of time it takes to read, say, a 100,000 word book, I can read it myself and be well-started on another one, and I don't travel, whether that involves being away from home in-town for a substantial amount of time where I could actually listen, or traveling out of town.

Again, thanks for the info. I suspect I'm going to stick with my trusty Voyage.

message 13: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2695 comments I don't understand why someone would even want hundreds of books on their Kindle. I would like to keep less than a dozen on mine.

The interface is very cumbersome to "browse" through a few pages of books, much less hundreds of books.

message 14: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 101 comments Randy,

Every book I buy from AMZ automatically gets sent to my Voyage, and books I get directly from the publisher, or a freebie, get emailed there. I do remove the books from the device once they're read.

I agree that going page-by-page of book listings is cumbersome, but I like being able to look at a wide variety of titles, and often after a bunch of pages clicked through, I'll discover a title I forgot I had and didn't read when first purchased.

But the bottom line is whatever works best for each of us in the way we use our e-readers.

Just my USD .02.

Eric

message 15: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2695 comments I find browsing through titles just means I see a few titles I recognize and dozens I have no idea of what they're about -- horror, scifi, fantasy, or something else.

I use the "Kindle Cloud Reader" as my default, so any new books join the over 13K books I already have there. Unless it's something it looks like I want to read immediately. Then I send it to my Paperwhite (as well).

Whenever I do my free book lists (every week or so), I generally end up adding 30 to 40 books into the Cloud. Far more than I could ever read. :(

message 16: by ~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (last edited Oct 13, 2017 10:20PM) (new)

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 54 comments Carole wrote: "I pre-ordered the new Oasis. I think that the larger size is what really makes this device appeal to me. I decided to go with the 32 GB that includes cell connectivity. I don't think that I need th..."

That's what's yanking my chain too. And like I say below, I miss the cell connectivity.

Randy wrote: "I don't understand why someone would even want hundreds of books on their Kindle. I would like to keep less than a dozen on mine..."

I usually don't know what I'm going to read next and I've been doing a better job of managing my Collections since I can do that in the Amazon account so I tend to keep a lot downloaded. Plus I didn't think the cellular interface would be a big deal when I got the wifi only Voyage, and sometimes I end a book when I'm out, and can't immediately download something that catches my eye (we have to log in daily to a sign-in page for our wifi at work and I read out on the patio so it's a pain to type in the password-it doesn't seem to keep the wifi password).

message 17: by ~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (last edited Oct 13, 2017 10:14PM) (new)

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 54 comments If you guys are thinking about it and have an old kindle to trade in, they're temporarily giving a $20 bonus plus the trade-in value towards a new Kindle. I found my old KK and it's in perfect condition and holds a charge so I should get $10 (I know, big whoop, I'd lost it when it was still worth something to trade in and only recently found it again) plus the $20 bonus. Details here: https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Trade-I...

And if you participate in Amazon Smile, the ereaders are eligible: https://smile.amazon.com/Staging-Prod...

message 18: by Teddygrace (new)

Teddygrace | 18 comments Randy wrote: "I don't understand why someone would even want hundreds of books on their Kindle. I would like to keep less than a dozen on mine.

The interface is very cumbersome to "browse" through a few pages o..."

That's the beauty of being to organize your books into collections.

message 19: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK Teddygrace wrote: "That's the beauty of being to organize your books into collections."

I can understand why people would be satisfied with collections. People can work out a system that works for them, store all their unread books on their Kindle, and just use that method to choose their next book without ever needing to use a computer or another device to decide what to read next.

Collections didn’t exist when the original Kindle was released, so we early adapters had to find other ways to organize our e-books. Online book sites like Goodreads, spreadsheets, or, in my case, an Access database, all offer more powerful organization than Kindle collections. By the time Kindle collections came along, their functionality seemed outdated already. And then, for quite a while, collections weren’t stored on the cloud so you had to set everything up all over again every time you got a new device.

An existing limitation with Kindle collections is that you can’t view the intersection of multiple collections. Even on Goodreads you can do that. If I’m in the mood for a standalone fantasy book, I can search for the intersection of books on both my “fantasy” and “standalone” shelves and see only my standalone fantasy books. To have that ability using Kindle collections, I’d need three collections for every genre, such as “fantasy - standalone”, “fantasy - completed series”, and a plain old “fantasy” collection for fantasy books that don’t fall in either category. That’s a pretty redundant process, tripling the # of collections I would need and requiring more setup.

You also can’t sort by other useful information such as publication date, # of pages, or average rating. Maybe you’re in the mood for a classic book, or for a book published recently. So you pull up the shelv(es) with the types of books you’re interested in and sort by publication date. Maybe you’re in the mood for something short, or something long and meaty, so you sort by # of pages. Maybe you’ve had a run of bad books and you’re desperate for something that should at least be entertaining, if not very deep, so you sort by average rating and pick the highest-rated book on your shelves. Or maybe you’re feeling contrary, like nobody in the world shares your tastes, or you’re just in the mood to write a scathing review, so you pick the lowest-rated book on your shelves.

I’m not much of a mood reader, but I am a planner, so I plan out in advance the next several books I intend to read. Those selections are the few books I keep on my Kindle. I like knowing I can safely choose any unread book on my Kindle and it will be something I was definitely interested in reading soon, and it won’t be a book in the middle of some series I’ve never read before.

message 20: by Randy (last edited Oct 14, 2017 12:17PM) (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2695 comments Teddygrace wrote: "That's the beauty of being to organize your books into collections."

I don't see it helping much if I have significant numbers of books in each collection. One series I read has 55 books in it. And their titles are not such that they can be sorted in order.

I could put them into their own collection, but then I end up with pages and pages of collections.

I use GoodReads shelves instead of collections.

Now if Amazon would allow me to easily put a new purchase into one or more collections AND GoodReads shelves at the time of purchase? It could even offer me the genres the author has chosen, so I could just select them. Or the common shelf names others have chosen for the book on GoodReads.

message 21: by CBRetriever (last edited Oct 22, 2017 03:35PM) (new)

CBRetriever | 422 comments I don't bother with shelves on Goodreads. I try to keep as few Collections as possible on my Devices (six pages total) and within those collections having 100 or more books isn't a problem.

What I do do is when I've finished a book, I leave it in its original Collection but also add it to a Read Collection and then remove it from my device (it still stays in the Collection) and thus I can optn a Collections and tap on Downloaded and not All and see just the books I haven't read.

My Andre Norton Collection shows
- All = 48
- Downloaded = 30

My Humble (Humble Bundles books) shows
- All = 105
- Downloaded = 58

and that's a much more manageable number to look through

message 22: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 2695 comments I have several GoodReads shelves with over 1000 books in them. :)

I probably have about 20 to 30 shelves. I've seen some people that must have hundreds of shelves, with a book filed in five or six different shelves.

message 23: by ~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (last edited Oct 14, 2017 07:55PM) (new)

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 54 comments YouKneeK wrote: "Collections didn’t exist when the original Kindle was released, so we early adapters had to find other ways to organize our e-books. Online book sites like Goodreads, spreadsheets, or, in my case, an Access database, all offer more powerful organization than Kindle collections. By the time Kindle collections came along, their functionality seemed outdated already. And then, for quite a while, collections weren’t stored on the cloud so you had to set everything up all over again every time you got a new device..."

It was a bit of an adjustment for me when I upgraded from the KK to the Voyage, I'd used Calibre for my collections and it was so hard to add book by book to the Kindle Collections. It's been a lot easier to add them to a single or multiple Collection since they added the Collection functionality in the Manage Content page.

Now I use Calibre more as a backup location for the book purchases, AMZ and non-AMZ.

Randy wrote: "I probably have about 20 to 30 shelves. I've seen some people that must have hundreds of shelves, with a book filed in five or six..."

I'm a mad tagger - it didn't start out that way, just came about because I tagged the books with content I was interested in (or not). The books I shelved from 2010-2013 had maybe 10 shelves. Now, it can be many more. But it is good if I have a challenge for a book to read and I've been told others use my shelves as reference for content.

message 24: by DV (new)

DV (arkham_v) | 3 comments Considering I bought an Oasis about eight weeks ago, the announcement of a new model with features that appeal to me is typical.

I even spent a fair whack of time googling this very topic before buying to see if there was any indication of a new version coming.

Hahaha. Ah well, I *love* my Oasis and am glad that when I can justify an upgrade, the new one will have some kickass features to go with it.

message 25: by CBRetriever (last edited Oct 27, 2017 05:27PM) (new)

CBRetriever | 422 comments so who's getting theirs on Tuesday?

message 26: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life) (carolesrandomlife) | 8 comments I will be getting mine on Tuesday. Can't wait!

message 27: by KentuckyDarlin' (new)

KentuckyDarlin' (kentuckydarlin) | 5 comments CBRetriever wrote: "so who's getting theirs on Tuesday?"

I am getting mine on Tuesday along with the waterproof blue cloth cover. I keep checking to see if it's been shipped yet. I'm like a kid with a new toy.

message 28: by Lenora (new)

Lenora | 8 comments I’m getting mine on Tuesday. I got the blue cover, too. I’ve also been obsessively checking my orders page! 😂 Especially as it originally showed shipping on Friday and it hasn’t shipped yet.

message 29: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK Lenora wrote: "Especially as it originally showed shipping on Friday and it hasn’t shipped yet."

For what it’s worth, I think that usually happens when new models are going out – they tend to ship at the last minute, later than expected, but still arrive on time.

I stuck to my decision not to order the newest Oasis since I’m already completely happy with the original Oasis model, but I do have the new Echo Plus arriving that day.

To me, Halloween seems like an odd choice for a mass delivery of fairly expensive new product releases. Not everybody may make it home from work before the trick-or-treating starts and, while package theft has never been a problem in my area, I do hear of others having problems with it. Halloween seems like it would be a perfect day for package thieves – tromping up and down porches in disguise will seem perfectly normal.

message 30: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 422 comments Tuesdays, for some reason, seems to be Amazon's time to release everything.

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments I would love to hear feedback from anyone getting the new oasis. I've been waiting for Amazon to put out a Kindle with Audible capability, and the waterproof feature might just get me to upgrade. The original Kindle had audio, it always puzzled me why the Voyage doesn't.

Kay*FindMeInThePages* (kayfindmeinthepages) | 4 comments I'm expecting an Oasis on Tuesday. Excited!

message 33: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 422 comments Ann wrote: "I would love to hear feedback from anyone getting the new oasis. I've been waiting for Amazon to put out a Kindle with Audible capability, and the waterproof feature might just get me to upgrade. T..."

actually the Kindle Touch (2011) was the last model to have audio

message 34: by KentuckyDarlin' (new)

KentuckyDarlin' (kentuckydarlin) | 5 comments My Oasis has been shipped. I'm so looking forward to getting it. Just hope it gets here before the trick or treaters.

message 35: by Lenora (new)

Lenora | 8 comments Mine hasn’t shipped yet. 😞

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 54 comments I ordered last night and ship date is 11.27 because I've been waffling!!!!! When I checked on Friday, ship date was 11.21 and didn't order then.

message 37: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life) (carolesrandomlife) | 8 comments Mine has shipped now. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

message 38: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life) (carolesrandomlife) | 8 comments I just checked the tracking on my oasis and it is scheduled to be delivered today! Yay!

message 39: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 41 comments I didnt order it as my kindle keyboard is still good. But I can’t wait to hear how it is.

Kay*FindMeInThePages* (kayfindmeinthepages) | 4 comments Mine still says shipping soon. I hope I get it tomorrow like they said.

message 41: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Bayne | 3 comments I'm excited - I get mine tomorrow. Sadly, we do a huge Halloween thing, and I won't be able to play with it until Wednesday.

We'll see about that!

message 42: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life) (carolesrandomlife) | 8 comments I did get mine today. My first impression is good but I haven't spent too much time playing with it yet.

message 43: by Lenora (new)

Lenora | 8 comments Mine has shipped from a warehouse only a few hours away and will be delivered tomorrow. :D

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 54 comments Thoughts on new Oasis?

message 45: by Lenora (new)

Lenora | 8 comments I worked a lot of hours this week so I didn’t get to use it as much as I’d hoped. I’m definitely loving mine, though. I like the larger screen but it’s not noticeably heavier than my old Oasis. The power button has been moved slightly to the left so I’m not accidentally pressing it any more. The text is very crisp and clear. I’ve been playing with the bold font. I like my blue cloth cover. I really like the fact that the battery is no longer in the cover so I don’t get the annoying error messages: Your cover isn’t properly attached to your kindle...or The cover you’ve attached to your kindle isn’t one that’s supported...Umm...yes, it’s an Amazon cover. I’ve not tested the waterproof effectiveness.

message 46: by KentuckyDarlin' (new)

KentuckyDarlin' (kentuckydarlin) | 5 comments I'm enjoying mine. I have over 4,000 books (in over 250 collections) that I intend to download all of them just because I can. Downloading and indexing of books is extremely fast. That was a pleasant surprise. I like the size and it is easy to hold. Doesn't seem heavy. I got the blue waterproof cover. It's pretty and does stay on but just doesn't seem as secure as I would like. Battery life seems good, no problems there. All in all, I like it and am glad I bought it.

message 47: by Carole (new)

Carole (Carole's Random Life) (carolesrandomlife) | 8 comments I love my new Oasis so far. The larger screen is wonderful and looks great. I like having physical page turn buttons again. The aluminum back is also really nice and it simply feels good in my hands. I have tried the white text on black background but don't know how often I will really use that feature. I have not tried to listen to any of audible books on it and don't really think that I will since I use my phone for that. I don't have a cover for it yet and am still trying to decide what I want. It is big enough that I don't think I will be taking it with me often but since I own several other kindles that is not a problem. I am very happy with it.

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 54 comments Lenora wrote: "I worked a lot of hours this week so I didn’t get to use it as much as I’d hoped. .."

Doesn't work know you have a new toy to thoroughly investigate?!

message 49: by Lenora (new)

Lenora | 8 comments 😂 I don’t think that’s their priority, much as I would wish it otherwise. 🤣

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 54 comments I don't know about the Amazon cover for the Oasis, I got the leather but it doesn't even cover the battery. I don't want it all banged up looking.

Doesn't look like much in the way of third-party covers yet.

« previous 1