Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > Hélène' s 2018 plans

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hélène (last edited Jul 12, 2019 08:10AM) (new)

Hélène | 170 comments 52 /52

✔ 1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title :
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

✔ 2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list :
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

✔ 3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards :
Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie

✔ 4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth (in title, cover, content, setting, author...) :
The Golem by Isaac Bashevis Singer

✔ 5. A book about or inspired by real events :
Amon. Mein Großvater hätte mich erschossen (My Grandfather Would Have Shot Me: A Black Woman Discovers Her Family's Nazi Past) by Jennifer Teege

✔ 6. A book originally written in a language other than English :
Rickshaw Boy by Lao She

✔ 7. A gothic novel :
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

✔ 8. An "own voices" book :
March: Book One, March: Book Two and March: Book Three by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin and Nate Powell

✔ 9. A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc) :
Le ventre de Paris by Émile Zola

✔ 10. An author's debut book (their first book to be published) :
The Unquiet Dead by Ausma Zehanat Khan

✔ 11. A literary fiction :
The Big Green Tent by Lyudmila Ulitskaya

✔ 12. A book set in Africa or South America :
Soeurs de miséricorde by Colombe Schneck (set in Bolivia)

✔ 13. A book with a plot centered around a secret (forbidden love, spies, secret societies, etc) :
The Girl In The Woods by Camilla Läckberg

✔ 14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire :
The Dying of the Light by Robert Goolrick

✔ 15. A book with an unique format/writing structure :
Trekways of the Wind by Nils-Aslak Valkeapää

✔ 16. A narrative nonfiction :
Shakespeare: The Biography by Peter Ackroyd

✔ 17. A book you expect to make you laugh :
The Evolution Man or How I Ate My Father

✔ 18. A book with a location in the title :
Guardians of the Louvre by Jirō Taniguchi

✔ 19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author (books & authors) :
In the Woods by Tana French

✔ 20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends :
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

✔ 21. A book written in first person perspective :
Boy: Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl

✔ 22. A book you have high expectations or hope for :
The Smartest Kids in the World: And How They Got That Way by Amanda Ripley

✔ 23. A medical or legal thriller --> Wild Card : True crime :
Judas: How a Sister's Testimony Brought Down a Criminal MasterMind by Astrid Holleeder

✔24. A book with a map :
The Photographer by Emmanuel Guibert and Didier Lefèvre

✔ 25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view :
Chaka by Thomas Mofolo

✔ 26. A book with a text only cover :
Writing to Save a Life: The Louis Till File by John Edgar Wideman

✔ 27. A book about surviving a hardship (war, famine, major disasters, serious illness, etc) :
The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman

✔ 28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water :
The Girl from the Coast by Pramoedya Ananta Toer

✔ 29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title (lead pipe, revolver, rope, candlestick, dagger, wrench) :
Dans la combi de Thomas Pesquet by Marion Montaigne (a wrench)

✔ 30. A short book :
A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig

✔ 31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to :
Samarkand by Amin Maalouf

✔ 32. An alternate history book :
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus

✔ 33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you :
Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life by Reducing Your Waste by Bea Johnson (zero-waste)

✔ 34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close-call :
Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah (a memoir written by a person from a country different than your own)

✔ 35. A book featuring a murder :
Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

✔ 36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before :
When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

✔ 37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee :
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

✔ 38. A science book or a science fiction book :
Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

✔ 39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title :
Who Is Jane Goodall? by Roberta Edwards

✔ 40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list :
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

✔ 41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials :
Narziß und Goldmund by Hermann Hesse

✔ 42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater :
Voyage aux îles de la Désolation by Emmanuel Lepage

✔ 43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence :
The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing

✔ 44. A ghost story :
L'Affaire Arnolfini: Enquête sur un tableau de Van Eyck by Jean-Philippe Postel

✔ 45. A book that intimidates/ scares you :
Une saison de machettes (Machete Season: The Killers in Rwanda Speak) by Jean Hatzfeld

✔ 46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air :
Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

✔ 47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own :
Petit pays (Small Country) by Gaël Faye

✔ 48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth) :
Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi (sloth)

✔ 49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists :
The Cutting Season by Attica Locke

✔ 50. A book with a warm atmosphere (centered on family, friendship, love or summer) :
This is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel

✔ 51. An award-winning short story or short story collection :
The Moons of Jupiter by Alice Munro

✔ 52. A book published in 2018 :
Psychologie des enfants très doués by Arielle Adda

READ :

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie The Golem by Isaac Bashevis Singer Amon. Mein Großvater hätte mich erschossen by Jennifer Teege Le Pousse-Pousse by Lao She The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins March Book One (March, #1) by John Lewis March Book Two (March, #2) by John Lewis March Book Three (March, #3) by John Lewis Les Rougon-Macquart, Tome 1 La fortune des Rougon / La curée / Le ventre de Paris / La conquête de Plassans by Émile Zola The Unquiet Dead (Rachel Getty & Esa Khattak #1) by Ausma Zehanat Khan Le Chapiteau vert by Lyudmila Ulitskaya Soeurs de miséricorde by Colombe Schneck La sorcière by Camilla Läckberg The Dying of the Light by Robert Goolrick Trekways of the Wind by Nils-Aslak Valkeapää Shakespeare The Biography by Peter Ackroyd The Evolution Man or How I Ate My Father by Roy Lewis Les Gardiens du Louvre by Jirō Taniguchi In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French The Book Thief by Markus Zusak Boy Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl The Smartest Kids in the World And How They Got That Way by Amanda Ripley Judas by Astrid Holleeder The Photographer by Emmanuel Guibert Chaka by Thomas Mofolo Writing to Save a Life The Louis Till File by John Edgar Wideman The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman La fille du rivage, Gadis Pantai by Pramoedya Ananta Toer Dans la combi de Thomas Pesquet by Marion Montaigne A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas, #1) by Matt Haig Samarcande by Amin Maalouf One Thousand White Women The Journals of May Dodd (One Thousand White Women, #1) by Jim Fergus Zero Waste Home The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life by Reducing Your Waste by Bea Johnson Born a Crime Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6) by Louise Penny When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver Binti (Binti, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor Who Is Jane Goodall? by Roberta Edwards Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl Narziß und Goldmund by Hermann Hesse Une saison de machettes by Jean Hatzfeld Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach Voyage aux îles de la Désolation by Emmanuel Lepage The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing L'Affaire Arnolfini Enquête sur un tableau de Van Eyck (ROMANS, NOUVELL) by Jean-Philippe Postel Petit pays by Gaël Faye Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi The Cutting Season by Attica Locke This is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel The Moons of Jupiter by Alice Munro Psychologie des enfants très doués (OJ.PSYCHOLOGIE) by Arielle Adda

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Wow, I love your list so far! So many good options. We seem to have similar reading tastes! You have a lot listed here that are on my TBR or that I look at & think, hey I should add that to my TBR.

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Your list made me remember a book in my "to read" list that satisfies the African/South American theme! Woo hoo another theme picked. It looks like there is a lot of good reading in store for you.

message 4: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 170 comments Thanks to you both!
Katie, I noticed that we have similar reading tastes too, there are several books on my TBR that I added after you recommended them in this group. And your enthusiasm about "The hate u give" is one of the reasons that let me chose it for the "high expectations" prompt!

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Oh that is awesome! I hope you end up loving it!

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie | 804 comments Great list! I read The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo earlier this year. It's a fascinating read.

message 7: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments The Hate U Give is on my list for next year too. I've heard so many good things and I hope it lives up to the hype.

message 8: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments Me too! I’ve already mentally slotted it in for the Goodreads Choice awards prompt, as I’m almost 100% certain it will be nominated (and probably win).